Subject: Is this game supposed to play really tight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Otto Sit
United States
Rowland Heights
California
flag msg tools
I just played my first game of Nightfall today and it did not turn out fun. Me and two other friends always ran into the issue of not being able to draw cards (no cards in the deck or discard pile) and taking a lot of wounds from each other's attacks.

After reading James Webb's review on Nightfall,
(http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/735469/its-not-a-deck-builde...) I feel like me and my friends approached this like a deck-building game instead of what it was meant to be.

With many of the starting cards being exiled so quickly, we didn't have much in our decks to play with during the game. (5 - 10 cards along with the same amount of wounds)

I'm planning to try this again and give it a second chance, but I just want some clarification on how we should approach and play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found one beginner mistake is chaining everything you can. That's often not a good plan when the creatures you bring out will most be exiled early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starter cards only get exiled when brought into play first. If you discard them to buy, they are not exiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
Starter cards only get exiled when brought into play first. If you discard them to buy, they are not exiled.

Also, you should NOT be playing your starter cards just because you can. Play them slowly, using them mostly to discard as influence in the beginning to quickly buy a bunch of cards.

Pro tips:
- Play Yuri early on for extra influence.
- Only have 1 Bad Smoke out at a time so they last longer overall.
- Save Genesis one for very late in the game to remove wounds.
- A couple wounds early on is good, speeds up your deck.
- As for the other starters, try to end your chain with one to reduce your opponents' options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ottosit wrote:
After reading James Webb's review on Nightfall,
(http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/735469/its-not-a-deck-builde...) I feel like me and my friends approached this like a deck-building game instead of what it was meant to be.

Were you trying to thin your deck by not buying a lot? If so, then it could easily come to pass that you have a very small collection of non-wounds.

Your deck will thin naturally (as you've clearly experienced). I find that a good beginner strategy is to pitch almost every card on your first two hands, and buy as much as you can. While I do feel that this is a deck-builder, that statement does not mean you should approach it like Dominion or one of its clones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dominion terms, Nightfall naturally "chapels" at a really fast rate. Churn is good on your turn, not so good on other people's but can give you a fearsome combat round (usually before a wimpy chain because, hey, you just spent all your cards on the other guys turns).

Oh, and BUY LOTS OF THE CARDS YOU WANT EARLY. It will get lean and mean with very little help.

Once you've got the card economy, you can start looking at the colour system and set up epic chains. Then you will realise that epic chains are like an all village strategy in Dominion. It looks pretty, and gets you the spotlight, but unless you're doing something with that chain, a short effective move by someone else will kill you.

But to repeat: this is not Dominion with hitting, this is not puzzle strike with target selection, this is not Tanto Cuore with less dubious associations, it's its own beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Hicks
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth - we just busted Nightfall out again for the first time in a long time, and used the starter set that came with Coldest War, and I cannot tell you what a huge difference (towards the positive) this made. The game lasted longer, people had more interesting choices to make and the wounds did not start piling up as fast. In fact, the person in our game group who was a staunch hater of Nightfall the first time around specifically asked me to reintroduce it to the rotation, with the stipulation that we used Coldest War starter decks in lieu of the other starter decks.

I haven't added Crimson Siege or Eastern Skies yet (my birthday's next month, and so I added them to my Amazon wishlist) but I was pleased to see such a massive turnaround on the game, and when our resident grouch wants a game back into the pool (and admits they've fixed most of his original complaints with the core game), I think that's a pretty good sign. The biggest problem is that the original Nightfall starters are too much early aggression and not enough blocker/toughness.

Common starting plays are "play one card, discard the rest of my hand for influence" for the first several turns. Stick with the game, and consider using the Coldest War starters instead. I cannot stress how much this turned people around. I'm looking forward to seeing the game come out regularly, since I have a bunch of the promos, and the game seats more than 4, which has been a challenge for our game group (which averages 5 people weekly, but can have as few as 3-4 and as many as 7-8).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that helped you guys. As you get back into things, try building your own starter decks per the rules included with Coldest War thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.