Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the Stars was more interesting to me. But it's hard to find it, and it is less expandable (so far)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the Stars has the drafting, and it matters how you put the cards you draft in front of you. 7 wonders is just drafting.

I think AtS gets an expansion this Essen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there is an expansion coming out in Essen (Kickstarter was a while ago). They should also have the base games there again, which in turn means, it should be a bit easier to find soon.

Both are good games.

7 Wonders needs more players, being dull for 2, ok for 3, and beginning to be good at 4+, going up to 7.

Among the Stars is 2-4 and works well with any of those (3-4 being better than 2, though).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both but I prefer Among the Stars for some reasons:

First one is the theme. I just like the Space theme better than the Civilization theme.

Then 7 Wonders uses iconography and some of those icons are very similar to one another so especially in the beginning you'll often have to look them up on the reference sheet. Or players might end up playing cards because they THOUGHT it would do one thing while it actually does another. Among the Stars uses text boxes which are not only self-explanatory but allow for a much bigger variety of effects.

The scoring system in Among the Stars also allows many different strategies which are equally valid. You can focus on direct scoring, on endgame scoring, on the objectives which every player can try to achieve.

The fact that there's no expansion (yet!) is not really an issue because replayability is very high even without an expansion. The main reason for this is that in every game you use a set of 44 (or 33) standard locations and then you randomly add 24 (or 18) of a set of 72 special locations to the card deck. So you'll always have a different combination of locations in every game you play. Then the objectives are drawn randomly at the beginning of the game adding some more variety and finally there are 8 races to choose from so that's another nice variation.

And the player number... honestly I'd play both games only with 3 or 4 players. While you CAN play 7 Wonders with more than that it changes the game dramatically. The more players you have the less strategic the game is and the more luck dependent it gets. Because with three players you know how many of the cards you will pass on will return to you and when this will happen. So you can choose your card accordingly. Now let's say you play with 7 players. You get a hand of cards, pick one, pass on the rest and that's it. You'll never see them again. No strategy, just pure luck of the draw. Now THAT is dull for me.

Both are great games but if I had to choose I'd always go for Among the Stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm very surprised to see the overwhelming support to AtS. usually whenever I mention in public that I vastly prefer AtS to 7wonders, everyone thinks I'm crazy, and mentions things like 'it's just a retheme' and 'it doesn't play 7 players'.

Anyway. I played 7 wonders first, and was amazed by the ingenuity of the drafting mechanism. But after a few (~10+) plays, especially if more than 3 players, it started wearing thin. If the guy going for the green got lucky, he always won. With more than 3p, military was negligible. No matter how good things you built up in brown/green/military, if the necessary guild didn't come out you lost a ton of point. And most of all, since the cards came out in the same order (ages) every game, it got a bit 'no-brainer' after a while on what to expect and pick. So you can play with more than 3-4 players, but why would you.

AtS has a bit bigger intro cost, so it's less easy to play with newbies. Plus it's language dependent, but I don't really play with people to whom it matters . But the spatial positioning is a great idea, makes the game doubly as interesting right out of the door. The objectives more than make up for the lack of ability to plan for the lack of ages, and after a few plays, you get to learn the patterns, and when you can anticipate exactly what comes back on the 5th turn of a year, you'll see the strategic depth. The synergies among the cards are great.

Yes, 7 wonders have more expansions, and Leaders (the only one I played) did make the game visibly better. But AtS is getting a semi-bigbox expansion this year (you can pick it up in Essen with the base game), and it looks very good so far.

The only thing 7 wonders is better in my opinion, is the 2p variant. The original AtS 2p sucked They came out with a better one, but honestly, I just play 7w 2p with AtS (build a 'neutral base') whenever I have to play AtS 2p.

So my recommendation is AtS, and then some more AtS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Also see 7 Wonders or Among the Stars? (For those who have played both) - sentiment in there (including my own reply) was overwhelmingly in favour of 7 wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miko tan
Australia
south perth
WA
flag msg tools
thanks for the helps

but it is still a very hard decision =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up AtS when it was released, and have pre-ordered the Ambassadors expansion. The expansion brings the player count to 6, adds more direct interaction, brings out a more timed approach (cards will matter more in certain rounds than others, or have impact in future rounds - Y1 is now different from Y2-4).

Now, if I had to choose, I'd go for AtS, the expansion once released, and likely also pick up a small card game called Sushi Go! - it's a quick 20 minutes (that's a real 15-20 minutes!) drafting game.

Best of luck with the decision, and really can't go wrong either way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ambassadors kickstarter is over but you can still pre-order the reprint of Among the Stars & the first run for Ambassadors on the kickstarter for Shadows over the Empire. AtS is supposed to be available at Spiel 2013 this October and shipments will be sent out shortly after. You have to buy Shadows over the Empire to be able to order AtS through this kickstarter though. AtS promos for both the base game and the expansion can be purchased as extras too but they are not included free with the base products unless you participated in the original kickstarters which have already ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.