Shopping List» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Gaming with a 3 year old - Shopping List rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Games, games and more games!

This review is part of a series of reviews of how games have worked with my children - for the full list see: My children's game reviews - children aged between 2 and 12.

Fun Components:

The components in the game are just cardboard squares with pictures of various things you'd buy while shopping, a cardboard shopping trolley to put them in, and shopping lists for each player. They're nothing particularly special, but the art is appealing to a young child, and they love the roleplay aspect of putting their shopping in a trolley.

Simplicity of rules

This is an excellent starter game for young children, because the rules are so simple - you flip over a tile, if it matches something in your shopping list you keep it, otherwise you put it back. When your list is finished you win. It has a memory aspect, which young children usually enjoy, as well as being a real-world concept that they can understand.

Once the child gets to a certain level of concentration and memory, then the game becomes purely random, just the luck of drawing the tiles you need. For younger children there are basic skills to learn though - memorising which tiles are where, and not picking up ones that you know don't match - and so an adult, who has these skills, will have the advantage.

Did the child enjoy it?

Surprisingly for such a simple game, this has been a huge hit with all three of my children when 3 or maybe just 4, before they grow out of it. It's the companion game to Crazy Chefs, with almost identical gameplay, so now that I have both play are split between the two, but it's one of my more popular 3 year old games.

And how is it from the adult's point of view?

It's obviously not high strategy, but it's quite fun for a simple memory game to play with younger children, and I personally prefer it to Crazy Chefs, which is very similar. One of the better games to play with 3 year olds.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.