Steve Watkins
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has several copies of the game, but also is occurring with mix of characters played without separated character decks ... i.e. we mark the sheet and then remix the hero deck back into their same type decks. So several have gotten Masterwork Tools, plus there are items, weapons, armor, and spells that are unique that personal decks have the same unique item.

First off, if a player is using their own cards for their PC in another game therefore there are multiple copies of cards that are unique in the base game ... does the player need to remove their duplicates before the adventure?
How do you substitute? May you use similar cards, or can you only fill with basic items?

If you substitute cards, do you get them back after the adventure with the duplicate card(s) problem?

Thanks for any help solving this dilemma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure this game wasn't designed with the intention of running multiple parallel campaigns. That doesn't mean you can't do it, but you're going to have to make up your own parameters for how to handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Waldbauer
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is balanced for so many copies of the non-basic cards, like masterwork tools. So I'd not allow more than the original number of copies in a set.

You could temporarily replace the card, and when they return to their own universe they get it back. That's what we have been doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a long read, but you could always look at my post concerning this actual specific issue. It's also what I'll end up doing should this occur in our playgroup if others decide they'd like to make characters and play.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13024322#13024322

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely don't use more of any card than there are meant to be in the game.

What to do? We play that you have to agree amongst the party who gets to play with limited cards. The ones that miss out have to 'go back to the box' and can choose any legal 'deck build' card for the current scenario. e.g. a basic card at the beginning.

-

If you think this is too harsh then options include:

-noting what you had before you 'gave it up'. you can then 'go back to' having this card in future when there isn't a clash

- if you don't want to choose a legal card then you can randomly rake 1 (or x) cards from the box. But you have to keep (one of) the card(s) you drew.

- keep track of how many of each card are in your universe of character decks. Never let there be more of any card in those decks than there are available in the box. The up-side of this is that it's going to make the game harder ;-)

I hope that gives you some ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no 'rule' on how to handle this because you are going against the rules by merging two or more boxes. Nothing wrong with that, just that this discussion should probably be in the Variants or General boards, not the Rule boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't only happen when you merge boxes. It also happens when you run multiple characters through an AP but not always the same ones (e.g. play scenario #1 with Lini and Merisiel, then play it again with Valeros, Kyra and Seoni).

This is meant to be something that the rules can cater for, but the reality is more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamemonster wrote:
It doesn't only happen when you merge boxes. It also happens when you run multiple characters through an AP but not always the same ones (e.g. play scenario #1 with Lini and Merisiel, then play it again with Valeros, Kyra and Seoni).

This is meant to be something that the rules can cater for, but the reality is more complex.

Paizo has already supplied free .pdfs for all the characters to keep track of what everyone has. Now, if you are mixing and matching different groups of characters as they run through the adventure path...again, that is basically a house rule allowing you to mix up different groups, so you are going to have to come up with your own house rules how you are going to handle that...so again, Variant board is over that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't think running multiple characters through the path, each one doing each scenario (successfully) once, is a variant. It's also in the rulebook that you can switch characters around from scenario to scenario.

As far as I know this is the recommended way to bring new players/characters up to speed so they can 'level up' their characters and join in the later scenarios/adventures. And also the recommended way to level up some characters to replace ones that may have died in your main party.

The only thing to ensure is that you don't take more than six characters' worth of cards out of the decks whilst playing:

Rulebook, p19 wrote:
If you want to start a new character, you may, but it’s important that you do not keep decks for characters you’re not actively playing; doing so would use up cards that you should be encountering during play. The base set is designed to have no more than 4 character decks built at one time; the Character Add-On Deck, available separately, expands the maximum number of concurrently built decks to 6. If you switch characters for some reason, it’s best to write down the cards in the previous character’s deck and return the cards to the box until you need to use it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamemonster wrote:
Rulebook, p19 wrote:
but it’s important that you do not keep decks for characters you’re not actively playing; doing so would use up cards that you should be encountering during play.

Actively playing... encountering during play. To me, that sounds like the rulebook is saying that any characters not actually on the table (taking part in the quest), should be deconstructed and put back in the box. I'm sure this was confirmed already at least once, no time to search for it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.