4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Learning principles of wargaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilhan Garou
msg tools
Hi guys,

my name is Ilhan and I am very interested in wargaming. I have tried to get into it a few times but had a hard time finding the right game for myself.

I want to learn the principles of strategy and tactics through wargames (supply, maneuver, importance of terrain, etc.), but I am also looking for beginner friendly games.
I have read several threads on here and found that a lot of the games posted as beginner friendly are either way OOP and very hard for me to get, or way too simplistic (Memoire 44, for example).

So my question is, what are in your opinion the best/most realistic games that fit the following categories, and are there one or two simpler games that you would recommend I play before taking on the games you recommended:
a)strategic level
b)operational level
c) tactical level

As far as I understand, ASL is pretty much the go to game for tactical level simulation. Are the starter kits enough to get me started, or should I play something else before?

Thanks for your answers,
Ilhan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Charbonneau
United States
Minneapolis
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Your questions, although clearly proposed, are a Pandora's box for many wargamers Ilhan!

James Dunnigan, a designer of many important wargames said it best: "...[historical wargames] were always a small market because thy emphasized information and analysis at the expense of entertainment". Do you want to have fun or study? :-)

Before anyone can answer your questions objectively, I think it's important to ask yourself if there is anyone in your area that can and will play these types of games with you. It's important for the simple teaching / learning purposes as well. If you have a wargame-base established, most players will be happy to teach you the ropes of basic wargaming.

On the ASL front - I am biased. For myself and many others, there is simply no better game for simulation of squad combat in WW2. The time you spend learning the rules will pay off with the scope of what you can do with the system. It can be difficult to consume the information in it's present. Furthermore, this is complicated by the lack of availability of the starter kits. Know that the game is in this position for historical reasons and we should be glad the small team is keeping the system alive.

Combat Commander from GMT uses a rather unorthodox, yet successful for many, card-driven system. It is enjoyable, teachable and playable in an afternoon. Yet, it may never scratch the itch if you yearn for "the best/most realistic..." tactical-level game.

A World At War is recently rereleased by GMT recently as well. This combines strategic / operational level classics Rise and Decline of the Third Reich and Rising Sun. Expensive ~$195, and you could lose friends by threatening to play :-), but another pinnacle-level game if you ask me.

I only mention these games because I feel they are the best. Many simple games are very fun (Risk, Axis & Allies), but will always leave some people wanting more. The games I mentioned, will scratch the itch, and give you plenty of solitaire hours with the systems.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Napoleon at Waterloo and Battle for Moscow (second edition) were recently recommended to me by people on bgg and they were both accessible, enjoyable and challenging (for a new wargamer) whilst teaching me some basic principles of wargames. They also made me want to play a ton more wargames, and made me feel like I could play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilhan Garou
msg tools
Hi Steven,

thanks for your thorough answer!

Charbs wrote:
Your questions, although clearly proposed, are a Pandora's box for many wargamers Ilhan!

James Dunnigan, a designer of many important wargames said it best: "...[historical wargames] were always a small market because thy emphasized information and analysis at the expense of entertainment". Do you want to have fun or study? :-)

When there is one thing that I learned in five years of engineering school it is this: studying without fun doesn't work.

But to answer your question, I am mainly looking to learn. I want to understand strategy and tactics.
That's why I am looking for the best/most realistic game in all three areas as well as one or two games that are less realistic but that will get me up to speed without scaring the living sh*t out of me.

I have Harpoon4 sitting on my desk here and it is kind of indimidating as of now

Quote:

Before anyone can answer your questions objectively, I think it's important to ask yourself if there is anyone in your area that can and will play these types of games with you. It's important for the simple teaching / learning purposes as well. If you have a wargame-base established, most players will be happy to teach you the ropes of basic wargaming.

Thank you, you are very right, I should look for wargamers in Munich while I am on my quest to find the best.

Quote:

On the ASL front - I am biased. For myself and many others, there is simply no better game for simulation of squad combat in WW2. The time you spend learning the rules will pay off with the scope of what you can do with the system. It can be difficult to consume the information in it's present. Furthermore, this is complicated by the lack of availability of the starter kits. Know that the game is in this position for historical reasons and we should be glad the small team is keeping the system alive.

Do you know of any other games that are a little easier but can bring me to the ASL-speed?

Quote:

Combat Commander from GMT uses a rather unorthodox, yet successful for many, card-driven system. It is enjoyable, teachable and playable in an afternoon. Yet, it may never scratch the itch if you yearn for "the best/most realistic..." tactical-level game.

Please no card driven games. I am not a big fan.

A World At War is recently rereleased by GMT recently as well. This combines strategic / operational level classics Rise and Decline of the Third Reich and Rising Sun. Expensive ~$195, and you could lose friends by threatening to play :-), but another pinnacle-level game if you ask me.

I only mention these games because I feel they are the best. Many simple games are very fun (Risk, Axis & Allies), but will always leave some people wanting more. The games I mentioned, will scratch the itch, and give you plenty of solitaire hours with the systems.

Good luck![/q]
Thanks a lot for your thorough answer!

@James:
Thank you, checking both out.
Cheers,
Ilhan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.