Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Co-op "fantasy/dungeon" games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Winfield
msg tools
Are there any very lite fantasy/dungeon co-op games that aren't too complex for kids?

I want a system that give that sense of teamwork and "leveling" up but with limited score keeping or stat tracking.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack delavert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hobbit board game (the one from Fantasy Flight Games) 3 stats easy to remember rules with cooperation needed to win (or smaug wins) but can be an overall winner at the end if you want (lots of optional rules to keep it interesting)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United Kingdom
Bacup
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the kids I guess but I think

Mice and Mystics might suffice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Venture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cuchulain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Warhammer Quest sounds perfect but it's OOP so you'd be at the whim of ebay sellers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can recommend the Dungeons And Dragons Adventure System Board Games:

- Castle Ravenloft (best scenarios of the three, most difficult)
- Wrath of Ashardalon (included campaign option)
- The Legend of Drizzt (most beginner-friendly and easiest of the three, strongest heroes)

The heroes only have 4 stats each and each skill mostly has a single die roll modifier that is added to a d20. The setup is quick and they play equally well with 2-5 players. During a scenario the heroes become more powerful by finding equipment dropped by slain monsters or by leveling up. However, the heroes usually don't keep their up-leveled status for the next scenario, so you don't have to deal with tons of equipment and stats every time you start playing.

I think they are even a little easier to play than the aforementioned Mice and Mystics, but Mice and Mystics' advantage is the coherent and awesome story connecting the scenarios, whereas the scenarios in the Dungeons & Dragons games are more or less self-contained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sighlance wrote:
I can recommend the Dungeons And Dragons Adventure System Board Games:

- Castle Ravenloft (best scenarios of the three, most difficult)
- Wrath of Ashardalon (included campaign option)
- The Legend of Drizzt (most beginner-friendly and easiest of the three, strongest heroes)

The heroes only have 4 stats each and each skill mostly has a single die roll modifier that is added to a d20. The setup is quick and they play equally well with 2-5 players. During a scenario the heroes become more powerful by finding equipment dropped by slain monsters or by leveling up. However, the heroes usually don't keep their up-leveled status for the next scenario, so you don't have to deal with tons of equipment and stats every time you start playing.

I think they are even a little easier to play than the aforementioned Mice and Mystics, but Mice and Mystics' advantage is the coherent and awesome story connecting the scenarios, whereas the scenarios in the Dungeons & Dragons games are more or less self-contained.

I second that emotion. The fact that each player also has a "dungeon master" phase of their turn where they get to move the monsters that get assigned to them is pretty cool.

If you can find it, as it is out of print, another great choice for you and your kids would be Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Fighter worked pretty well with my nephews and nieces. Fun, cooperative, and crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.