Subject: GIVE ME MORE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this game has been around since 2009 you'd imagine some people have managed to play a game or two.

So there fore it is surprising there is only one, small, review on the game.
Could someone make an effort and write a more detailed one, or is this game simply not worth the trouble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's one of the games that I really want to play more, I just haven't. The system is real solid, and if you had the time and space for the full campaign, I'm certain that it would be a great experience. I have the space, I just haven't put the time into it.

The map is great, counters are good, typical GMT wargame. Chit pull system keeps it moving right along at a good pace. Union have a really tough time at the beginning due to command restrictions, and the Confederates are battling rough terrain more than the enemy.

There are a couple of things that bother me. One is that there aren't enough strength point loss counters to set up some of the larger scenarios. You have to go into other games that you own, and get additional counters. I realize that it may be cost prohibitive to include too many, but you can't even set up some of the larger scenarios with the counters provided. Same goes, I think, for the breastworks counters.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNamara
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have my copy in shrink wrap. I need to get Chickamagua on the table first. The map is gorgeous and it is a standard Berg title, indicating high quality. The rules are complex and there are counter problems. The errata is well documented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could check out my review of 3DoG here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/991139/3dog-a-detailed-s...

If you skip the intro (where I talk about the specific battle), most of the review covers the common features of the system and should give you a good sense of what it's like to play Dead of Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this particular title overall? I read about errata and such, does it ruin the experience or is it really not that bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is actually very little errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
They forgot to put the Confederate cavalry activation chits and the Union pionier activation chits on the counter sheet so that has a pretty big impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, so buying something else istead may have been the right choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Perhaps. The missing counters were in an issue of C3i so GMT did produce them. I'm going through the rules at the minute and there is a lot to like. The biggest problem for me is the size of the 4 map scenario. It's enormous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that would have been a problem to find that magazine.
It seems more customer friendly to add erata counters to a next game.

Large maps, I know how you must feel.soblue
I do like them, but they can be a reall pest when you are not blessed with loads of space.
Not only do such games need a LARGE table, but than you also need to have a room you, or others, do not need to be in so you can simply leave it untill you are ready to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solutions to all those space, time and opportunities woes, is VASSAL (www.vassalengine.org). DoW has a fairly good VASSAL module, and at least one person is making an attempt at removing some of its rougher edges. I've played the opening attack scenario on the module and it works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Certainly an option, but you need a massive computer screen to see everything at once without constant zooming in and out and panning the view. You can't see the big picture all at once while still seeing details like you can on a large physical map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.