Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What has replaced Puerto Rico for you? (Or are you still playing?). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is now over 10 years old (which is not old by Go/Chess standards, but quite old by 'cult of the new' standards.

I'd like to know whether you still play it, or whether you traded it away and replaced it with something else, and if so what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola and Caylus are good choices to "replace" it, though I wouldn't replace it, because Puerto Rico is still a very good game.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Davidson
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will never get rid of Puerto Rico, but Tzolk'in is the first game I've played that scratches the same itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still play it, still love it. That and Castles of Burgundy are the games i still play most frequently with my better half
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It hasn't been replaced, and I'm not trading this modern classic away. However, when I want to scratch the same itch but do not have the time, I play San Juan instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We still play it. We added the Treasure Chest expansions, and that adds some new strategy plus variability with the additional buildings. The only thing we didn't like about PR before was the lack of variability because it became too easy to start relying on the same strategies each time. The expansion totally solves that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Male
United Kingdom
Woburn Sands
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still like to play Puerto Rico, but now tend to play Cuba more often, when I want something of this genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
It hasn't been replaced, and I'm not trading this modern classic away. However, when I want to scratch the same itch but do not have the time, I play San Juan instead.

I've played Puerto Rico just once since I bought San Juan. Same thing but faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Østland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still playing it. Still one of my absolute favorite games. But my old Alea/Rio Grande copy has been replaced by someone in my game group buying the anniversary edition. Still no plans for trading mine away, though. Because, you know, I might need it or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I will play Puerto Rico when it gets to the table. In fact I would like to play more of it to refine my play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I still think it is a genius in design. Nothing really replaced it in my collection. I will still go back an play it in rotation with all my other games in a heartbeat. Of course with the selection of games to play, that might not be very often, but that is the nature of the beast with any of the games I own. But if I was to needle my collection to the top 100 games I would play forever, PR would be on that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Chowdah wrote:
my old copy has been replaced by buying the anniversary edition

Same here: I replaced Puerto Rico with... Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see all your replies. I bought myself a copy of Puerto Rico Anniversary Edition a while ago but never got it to table. I had bought it after playing with a friend, but he moved away.

I was just musing to myself this morning thinking - should I break it out of shrink or shall I sell it on as I thought it might be worth a few quid.

Needless to say that after these posts I have broken it out and refreshed on the rules. Hopefully I can get it to table this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Østland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Needless to say that after these posts I have broken it out and refreshed on the rules.

The nice production on the anniversary edition actually makes the game more enjoyable to me, albeit a bit less functional (i.e. less description on building tiles). Shouldn't be a problem unless you're a noob, though. Also no five value coins, which is lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

Still play it fairly often, but Agricola, Through the Ages and Race for the Galaxy have replaced it to some degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
Chowdah wrote:
my old copy has been replaced by buying the anniversary edition

Same here: I replaced Puerto Rico with... Puerto Rico.

+1 I'll never get rid of my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing replaces Puerto Rico. Still one of the best games ever made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Got the anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 games of San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why replace it? It's still a very good game!
I've added other games (notably Caylus, Agricola, Le Havre, Ora & Labora) on a comparable level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulDavidson wrote:
I will never get rid of Puerto Rico, but Tzolk'in is the first game I've played that scratches the same itch.

That's how I feel, too.

Puerto Rico will never be 'replaced' for me, but given a choice today between it and Tzolk'in, I'll take Tzolk'in. Maybe that will change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just bought it and San Juan for the first time on iOS during the $0.99 sale. Still have not launched it though...

Get it launched! It's a nice conversion with soothing Carcassonne style guitar etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played it again last night and taught it to a new player. I may not play PR as often as I once did, but it's still my most played game overall in my collection for good reason. It's just such a good game. I'll never replace it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you ever get bored with "friendly" play, join us for a tournament at World Boardgaming Championships, Euroquest or other fine venues.
Its still friendly, but the play is really ramped up.
In advaned rounds, bidding for seat position is added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.