Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: HQ Interface best practices? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Palpster
Netherlands
Nunspeet
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HQ Interface is a nice card in theory, but in practice it always gets cut for other cards in my decks. Any particular reason you'd want to use it in Shaper? Mostly I find that there are so many other good cards from either Criminal or Anarch that HQ Interface is pretty low on the list for adding to my Shaper decks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The best card I've found to deal with the biotic/psychographics/scorch in hand is Imp. It even works with sneakdoor. If you can steal the agenda they are waiting on from their hand, great. If you hit the biotic or psycho, you trash it!

I've also been working on coming up with a runner deck that is designed to demo run with HQ Interface or Nerve Agent. Three major corp decks: scorch, HB Fast advance, NBN psycho beale, all require the corp to sit around with a bunch of cards in HQ waiting for a combo. If you demo run that away, they are in deep trouble. A few same old things, and you can do it quite a few times.

It's not easy though. I still haven't come up with a deck that can pull it off reliably.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I've considered HQI as well, but for now, I think other cards are better options (Siphon, Shutdown, Vamp, etc).

However, I've been eagerly waiting for this:


This'll finish games very quickly once you suspect the Corp's agenda flooded.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
It’s for situations where I can run any remote once, but probably not repeatedly, and the corp drawn a bunch of cards so there’s probably agendas in there, but they don’t dare to install them because if they install them, they would get caught, so they’re saving up for a big Psychographics or Biotic Labor.
I want to get them from hand but Nerve Agent doesn’t do anything without Grimoire or repeated runs.
Let’s say I think there is one or two agendas in hand, and getting through on HQ is possible but costs three or four CE.


At the end of the day, this strategy is just guessing at where the agendas are hiding (and when). With HQ interface they'd need to have two agendas in hand for you to even be better than 50/50 to hit one.

Just play R&D interface and focus on that server, you *know* the agendas are all in there somewhere and it gives you way more knowledge and control of what the corp can do in future. It's ok for the corp to score a few agendas. In the new scoring system the agenda points don't matter until the knockouts, so let the Corp have a few points and spend the resources tooling up to establish an R&D lock instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysander1 wrote:
I've considered HQI as well, but for now, I think other cards are better options (Siphon, Shutdown, Vamp, etc).

However, I've been eagerly waiting for this:


This'll finish games very quickly once you suspect the Corp's agenda flooded.


I don't think this needs to exist right now.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
vantageGT wrote:
Lysander1 wrote:
I've considered HQI as well, but for now, I think other cards are better options (Siphon, Shutdown, Vamp, etc).

However, I've been eagerly waiting for this:


This'll finish games very quickly once you suspect the Corp's agenda flooded.


I don't think this needs to exist right now.


ever.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Not that I disagree, but the same can be said of other cards that do exist. When HQ Interface came out, people predicted R&D Interface, whilst others exclaimed how overpowered it'd be.

Lo and behold, it gets released for the same influence and install cost.shake

Edit: and I'm sure it'd be tweaked if released. Perhaps as a double event that allows access to two extra cards rather than three.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only use 1 HQ Interface in Shaper. Perhaps a Nerve Agent instead, as you can choose the amount of cards you access with Nerve Agent , not with HQ interface.

I've flatlined several runners because they didn't realize Interfaces require you to access those extra cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love HQ interface personally. I used to never play it, but it puts a lot of pressure on the corp. With you as shaper, the corp will likely focus on RnD. 1 HQ interface/nerve agent will keep them honest and force them to ice HQ, or get agendas stolen.

Snare is something to be aware of, either don't play it until you know it's safe (I.E. seen snares triggered/trash), or they have less than 8 creds. Or if it's early game, the odds are on your side to hit only 1. I actually dont mind hitting snares as long as I am ready for them. 4 creds is a high cost for the corp.

I think there are a lot of other great cards for 2 influence out there, but HQ interface is a reasonable splash imo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
What I’d really want is a The Maker’s Eye for HQ.


Yes.


R&D and HQ are very different. With R&D, you prefer consistent multi access, to lock them over a period of time.

With HQ, you would rather do a burst view of their entire hand, once during the game, at the time you think its most likely that they are stockpiling agendas.

As a result, R&D interface is better than Makers Eye (though Makers Eye is a great card). Executive Wiretaps (Makers Eye for HQ - that is the name of the card in original Netrunner), is better than HQ interface.


When/if they reprint this card, and allow us a 'burst access' of HQ at +2 cards, its going to be VERY strong. Its a thing you will absolutely love playing once during the game to clean out the HQ, after which you can try to R&D lock them for the win.




(All Hands, of course, was an EVEN BETTER version of this, and would be even stronger. That card was a BEAST. So often you would win in original with a multi-agenda All Hands.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a Chaos Theory deck that would run 3 R&D interface (and Replicator), 2 Medium and 3 Maker's Eye to get insane R&D access. The combination is even better, and seeing 10 cards at once is great (unless there's 3 Snares in there, but that hasn't happened yet)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
What happened to that deck, Dirk?


I believe this is it:

Prodigy (40 cards)

Chaos Theory: Wunderkind

Event (13)
3 Diesel
1 Escher
3 Modded
1 Networking
2 Special Order ••••
3 The Maker's Eye

Hardware (11)
3 Dinosaurus
2 Plascrete Carapace
3 R&D Interface
3 The Personal Touch

Icebreaker (8)
2 Corroder ••••
2 Crypsis
2 Gordian Blade
2 Pipeline

Program (8)
3 Magnum Opus
2 Medium ••••• •
3 Self-modifying Code

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/


But it's been a while since I last played it, since there's not much interaction with the corp, and that makes play slightly boring.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asterisk CGY
msg tools
dwjmeijer wrote:
2097 wrote:
What happened to that deck, Dirk?


I believe this is it:

-snip-[/URL]


But it's been a while since I last played it, since there's not much interaction with the corp, and that makes play slightly boring.


Damn that's a solid deck. Diesel/SO/SMC up the breakers and MO, PT and Dino say Pipeline to get around its 2 cred boost or anything else that is being ran at the moment, Networking for tag clearance, then silly hammer then R&D.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AsteriskCGY wrote:
Damn that's a solid deck. Diesel/SO/SMC up the breakers and MO, PT and Dino say Pipeline to get around its 2 cred boost or anything else that is being ran at the moment, Networking for tag clearance, then silly hammer then R&D.


Thanks. Dinosaurus is still my favourite Console, and combined with Pipeline, it's pretty darn good. I initially picked Pipeline because I needed the influence elsewhere, but I'm happy I did, because one of my opponents had 2 Archers in a row on R&D, and the strength boost _for the remainder of the run_ made all the difference there. For the final kill I just collected the 16 credits I needed to get into R&D and hit enough agenda's for 10 points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.