Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Linder
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello

I read through the rules again and was thinking of the rule when are to draw the top card of your deck to place it in a spot. Now, this game has many features that resembles Neuroshima Hex (which is great btw) and for me, wouldnt the game have more of a tactical choice if you will have a hand of 3 cards and you choose amongst them to place one and then draw a new one to your hand. This would be somewhat similar to the system i Neuroshima Hex where you draw 3 tiles but discards 1.
I dont see the reason why to have such a huge luck of the draw in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am guessing that one feature of the game is intended to be a "use what you get as best you could". Also, you will always see what your next card is before you place it, so you can plan accordingly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChoArrim wrote:
Hello

I read through the rules again and was thinking of the rule when are to draw the top card of your deck to place it in a spot. Now, this game has many features that resembles Neuroshima Hex (which is great btw) and for me, wouldnt the game have more of a tactical choice if you will have a hand of 3 cards and you choose amongst them to place one and then draw a new one to your hand. This would be somewhat similar to the system i Neuroshima Hex where you draw 3 tiles but discards 1.
I dont see the reason why to have such a huge luck of the draw in this game?

There is no huge luck. You always see the card you will draw - it is open!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin, the luck aspect is still there, as you cannot influence what you get. You can only react to what is the top card of your draw deck - and plan accordingly...

The only thing is, you are not totally at the mercy of the card(s), as you can choose where and how to use it, mitigating the impact of the luck factor. Which is what I meant with "use what you get" mechanism - navigating the shifting grounds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That tiny bit of luck is necessary, though, game-wise. If you ask me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Linder
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Think you might be right about this
Didnt think of that you can actually choose where to place it ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a tiny amount of luck, but a big aspect of luck, regarding the cards. As the cards are a very important feature of the game, and necessary for a goal-oriented approach, the factor of chance (let's use this word instead of luck) is at the focus point, aswell.

BUT

...and that is the important part...

...this aspect of chance is VERY IMPORTANT for the game. It is the "variability" of the game. Each time not only the 15 cards are unique, but also the order in which they come up. This creates huge replayability, but also insecurity, which makes it impossible to find one perfect winning strategy (the third is good, the first also, but the second not everyone likes). This is no Perfect Information Game, and that is important.

However, what is (of course) debatable is whether each combination (and/or order) of cards can really win you the game, or if there are better or worse "order of card" aspects. The rulebook assures the reader that every card can win you the game, but sometimes, this is whitewashing the truth...

On the other hand, it could be the unmitigated truth, but the learning curve for some combinations (i.e. card orders) is higher than for others, which possibly makes frustrating first games (with this combinations). That can throw a player off, and can make him dislike the game. IF he is prone to do so.

On the third hand, the shifting ground (never being quite sure what your tools will be once you have used the current ones) is what makes this game interesting, unique and replayable. If that weren't the case - say, if we had a card library from which to choose the cards - the game would, at some point, with every player or playgroup reach a "standstill". Meaning: the same combinations would be used over and over again.

The way the game is designed, however, you have to adapt to the situation. Step up to the task, and see how far you get. If you are good enough, you win...

Just so we understand each other, Benjamin:
I am totally on your side, regarding the game and its mechanisms.
But facts cannot be talked away. And the factor of chance is significantly there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have played this I cannot say that I ever felt something like "gosh darn, wish i didn't have to place that card, and not some other".

It was always along the lines of: "ooh, so this card is now available - hmmmm, where to place it....?"

Regarding you and me being on the same page: I know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.