Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a newly started company in the EU I'm a not 100% sure on how VAT works internationally.
I'm going to double-check with the Swedish authorities to make sure but maybe someone here might have some information.

This is how I understand it:
When I sell to another company at a fair like Essen, I will need to create an invoice for that company. This invoice should include their VAT number, although the invoice does not include VAT in the cost.

Afterwards I will submit a report to my tax offices with the invoices representing sales to another EU country so I don't pay VAT for them myself.

Regarding selling to private customers, I will write a daily report on the amount of sales + money received. This will include VAT.

If anyone has more experience in this please let me know.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Joel
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'd be interested in any answers as well! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoten zombie
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Some people prefer the finer things in life... I'm alright just hanging out with the ghost of Vincent Price.
badge
Rejoice... The great God fear is dead!
mbmbmbmbmb
mnemonicuz wrote:
As a newly started company in the EU I'm a not 100% sure on how VAT works internationally.
I'm going to double-check with the Swedish authorities to make sure but maybe someone here might have some information.

This is how I understand it:
When I sell to another company at a fair like Essen, I will need to create an invoice for that company. This invoice should include their VAT number, although the invoice does not include VAT in the cost.

Afterwards I will submit a report to my tax offices with the invoices representing sales to another EU country so I don't pay VAT for them myself.

Regarding selling to private customers, I will write a daily report on the amount of sales + money received. This will include VAT.

If anyone has more experience in this please let me know.
Thanks.

You're generally correct, however I would double check if this also applies to on-site sales, or (which I think is at least a faint possibility) that on-site sales must apply local (eg German 19% VAT) taxes.
I have highlighted one part of your post just to stress that your invoice must (not should) include the VAT ID. In our company we always use an online checker to see if the ID is actually valid, because if it's not you'll get a lot of trouble afterwards.

As far as selling to individual customers is concerned, you must include 19% VAT in the end price. This means you cannot add it at the cash register or something similar. The price tag is what the customer pays, incl. VAT.
Note: Books only have a reduced tax of 7% VAT!

Diclaimer: Don't take my word for anything, better check with your authorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the information.
I fully understand that this is not legal council but very much appreciate that my understanding was correct. I will contact the authoroties as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got off the phone with the German Tax offices
https://www.steuerliches-info-center.de/SharedDocs/Kontaktfo...

This is a summary of what I learned from the German Tax office:
When I sell to private customers (visitors), I need to include VAT in the price.
When I sell to other companies from the EU, I need to get the VAT number from them and they will pay without VAT in the price. I also need to include a notice saying "This bill includes a reverse charge". They will then report the VAT they need to pay to their local authorities.

From my local tax office in Sweden I learned:
When I sell to private customers in Germany, I will report them as tax-exempt, and not pay any VAT to my authorities.
When I sell to other companies from the EU, I need to get their VAT number and include the notice mentioning the "reverse charge". I will not pay VAT for this myself in Sweden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.