Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got another question about scenario rewards while playing solo.
Characters like the paladin or the monk cannot add in their deck some types of cards, in this being sort of penalised when playing solo the Perils of the Lost Coast adventure.
So, for instance, if the monk gains a weapons as a scenario reward, could I substitute "weapons" with "items", for instance?

Is there a "rule of thumb" I may follow to keep the game balance (while I don't think so, asking is never wrong)?

About locations: whne I play solo, may I change the location cards of a scenario? For instance: Brigandoom lists "Woods", "Waterfront", and "Farmhouse" when you're playing solo. May I, for instance, substitute one or more of these location cards with others listed in the scenario? Or maybe with similar once? Just to keep variety in the game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the rules you can do neither of these things, but for the sake of variety, you might want to invent some solo house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Angra wrote:
I've got another question about scenario rewards while playing solo.
Characters like the paladin or the monk cannot add in their deck some types of cards, in this being sort of penalised when playing solo the Perils of the Lost Coast adventure.
So, for instance, if the monk gains a weapons as a scenario reward, could I substitute "weapons" with "items", for instance?

Is there a "rule of thumb" I may follow to keep the game balance (while I don't think so, asking is never wrong)?

About locations: whne I play solo, may I change the location cards of a scenario? For instance: Brigandoom lists "Woods", "Waterfront", and "Farmhouse" when you're playing solo. May I, for instance, substitute one or more of these location cards with others listed in the scenario? Or maybe with similar once? Just to keep variety in the game.

Thanks!

This is just my opinion about solo play: It's your game, and you should enjoy winning it.

There's this section of the rulebook:
Some cards are particularly difficult in solo play. If your character can’t ever get out of the Treacherous Cave, your scenario will grind to a halt. When you encounter such a card, remove it from the game and replace it with another card of the same type that roughly matches its power level but isn’t quite so impossible to overcome.

It justifies making decisions you need to make to have the most fun with your game. If you feel your enjoyment is lowered by playing a scenario and not having a chance at a reward, you should do something that raises that enjoyment. If you're in that mindset, I would suggest randomly taking one of each card type that your character can use, shuffling them up, and drawing one. Or, in the spirit of the rule I quote above, draw an item, and then trade it for a random equivalent of another type (Basic if it's Basic, having the same letter or number in the upper right, etc.)

Hope that helps.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Awesome game, however!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say I find true-solo satisfying, I've done it a few times, but I much prefer 2-3 character for a solo player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narius Varigor
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spinningdice wrote:
I can't say I find true-solo satisfying, I've done it a few times, but I much prefer 2-3 character for a solo player.

As I wait for my copy to arrive, I'm imagining all the fun I'll have playing this solitaire. I'm eager to hear your thoughts on this.

What about true-soloing did you not find satisfying?

What about playing with 2 or 3 characters made the game more enjoyable for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, 1p or even 2p games are too easy because of the 30 card blessing timer not being much of a factor. This means you never have to use your blessings or allies to do extra searches leaving them to boost your attacks making those battles easier. Once you get to 3 characters, you are now facing 50 cards in the location decks meaning odds are you have to do extra explores per turn making the battles more fierce. Plus, you get a lot of decisions you never have to make solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.