Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been looking at this game for a long time thinking if it would be a game I would like. I decided it was and then found out it was nearly impossible to find in Japan...
6 months later,
I just happened to find this game in English on an online shop from a company that translates games into Japanese. They seemed to have one copy laying around in storage or something.. Quite a lucky find and there was only one left.

Well I got the game earlier this week and have gotten it to the table several times. I read a number of reviews before and they all said the game was super difficult to win...
I won my first game, but I think it was beginner's luck.
After that first play though I haven't won..

The good:
1. I really enjoy the fact that it is a difficult game. I get bored quite quickly if games are too easy and stop playing them.
2. I'm a H.P. Lovecraft fan, read all his stories, I have Arkham Horror, Elder Sign and Mansions of Madness. I like Arkham Horror, but it is too long and doesn't get to the table often..
I enjoy Elder Sign but it is just too easy.. I have never lost even when I tried to make it much more difficult. I got the expansion too, and it just makes it slightly less easy. Still like the game though. It is a good one to bring out with some friends, especially if they don't play board games often.
Mansions of Madness doesn't really play solo... and I mostly play solo. I do enjoy it though.
I also have a bunch of Call of Cthulhu RPG stuff.
So Witch of Salem really fills the Lovecraft slot in my game collection perfectly. I can bring it out anytime with anyone and the time it takes to play is perfect.
3. It plays great solo! I really like this game solo. I don't often get to play board games with others... although I have been converting friends and co-workers, even some students (I'm a teacher).
4. Game length. This game really fits my ideal game length. It takes just enough time to be fulfilling, and not too much time that I have to leave the game out overnight or pack it up before it is finished.
The bad
For me with only a handful of plays under my belt, I really can't say anything bad about it...
I suppose it can get rather random sometimes, but that it part of the challenge... having to deal with whatever it thrown at you.
The ugly
The wooden figures are not very theme invoking... I don't mind them very much but I think I would have preferred they all were rounded like the Witch pawn. I have lots of stand ins though from Arkham Horror or Mansions of Madness.
I'm also a fan of custom dice.. that die is okay... kinda ugly..
Overall opinion:
I really enjoy the game and I think it will stay in my collection for long time.

(This is my first review, hope it is okay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review indeed

I really like this game too and agree pretty much with everything you have written about it. I'm definitely more a Euro-style player so I don't mind the wooden pieces that much, but do agree that they could have done a nicer design for the player-pieces. The Hexer, I'm fine with.

The board is beautiful and deserves special mention. Superior to the board of Arkham Horror I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pedro,

Yeah, I forgot to mention the board is awesome and the artwork in general is fantastic. Love the GOO card artwork and the monsters are very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game is overlooked and underrated. It should be a 7-7.5 game on BGG. I have it set up on the table for an annual October play (Halloween and all!). I will have to try it solo some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.