Subject: Belac and Veilminder effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G√ľnter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone Bearer "Belac" has the global effect "Resolve all other monsters' Battle effects twice."

Veilminder clerics have a dungeon ability that can cancel a Battle effect, for example (level 2): "Discard this card to cancel one Battle or Aftermath effect on a monster in the hall."

Say there is a monster in the hall with some Battle effect like "Gain 1 Curse" and I choose to activate the Veilminder's dungeon ability to cancel that, what happens:

1) I gain zero curses from that monster, because "cancel" means the monster completely loses that effect for the given battle (as if the text was not printed on the monster card at all). Effectively meaning: Belac's global effect does not find anything to double.

or

2) I still gain 1 curse from the monster, because Belac's global effect makes the monster's effect trigger twice ("Gain 1 Curse" + "Gain 1 Curse") and my Veilminder can only cancel one of those now 2 Battle effects present.

I tend to think that the proper resolution is 1), but wanted to make sure...

Is this a timing-related issue, maybe? The rules are clear on the fact that dungeon abilities are resolved prior to battle effects, but I wasn't really able to find anything in the rules about the exact point in time when global effects are resolved!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Miraculix wrote:
Thunderstone Bearer "Belac" has the global effect "Resolve all other monsters' Battle effects twice."

Veilminder clerics have a dungeon ability that can cancel a Battle effect, for example (level 2): "Discard this card to cancel one Battle or Aftermath effect on a monster in the hall."

Say there is a monster in the hall with some Battle effect like "Gain 1 Curse" and I choose to activate the Veilminder's dungeon ability to cancel that, what happens:

1) I gain zero curses from that monster, because "cancel" means the monster completely loses that effect for the given battle (as if the text was not printed on the monster card at all). Effectively meaning: Belac's global effect does not find anything to double.

or

2) I still gain 1 curse from the monster, because Belac's global effect makes the monster's effect trigger twice ("Gain 1 Curse" + "Gain 1 Curse") and my Veilminder can only cancel one of those now 2 Battle effects present.

I tend to think that the proper resolution is 1), but wanted to make sure...

Is this a timing-related issue, maybe? The rules are clear on the fact that dungeon abilities are resolved prior to battle effects, but I wasn't really able to find anything in the rules about the exact point in time when global effects are resolved!?

I would say that the Battle effect is resolved twice, and the first time you get to ignore it, but the second time you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that the battle effect is canceled, so there is no effect to resolve twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
edbolme wrote:
I would argue that the battle effect is canceled, so there is no effect to resolve twice.

So the effect of 'cancel' is that the target Battle/Aftermath basically isn't even on the monster card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.