Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I often have only about 45 minutes to 1 hour for games.

I usually only have my wife as a partner--so it must work well with two (but can work with more). We don't like back-stabby, cutthroat games.

I prefer actual boards over just cards, but will still consider any suggestions that have only cards.

I don't like 100% strategy games (like Go or Chess, for example)

Not even sure that it possible to have a good, deep, immersive game experience that play in an hour or less. It seems doubtful, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask all those BGGs with wide-ranging gaming experience.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert with Little Duckling (fan expansion for Space Alert) is something I have been wanting to try. It seems like it would fit, provided you're both OK with turnless games.

Edit: just re-read and noticed the word "deep". I haven't played Space Alert enough to know whether it's a deep game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Starship Catan? The first game of it will probably take more than an hour but other than that it could be an interesting option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Swinburne
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to recommend Pandemic. There's no backstabbing, because it's you two against the game. To win, you have to discover a cure for four diseases. To lose, you either run out of disease markers, succumb to eight outbreaks or run out of player cards. A game takes about 45 minutes give or take.

It's a good game where there is some luck in terms of how the cards are shuffled and where the epidemic cards are in the deck, but also strategy in terms of your action choice each turn: you have four action points, so do you use them to move, remove disease or discover a cure?

Since your username is luvmywife, I'm guessing you two will be able to work together well and beat the game Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I can usually play these fairly quickly, especially with two:

Glen More
Attika (I only play this with two)
Taluva
König von Siam

These are a bit more on the abstract end:

Kahuna
Terra Nova
Samurai
Torres (use the master rules)

For just cards (and some tokens), I like:

Magnate
Battle Line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Conners
msg tools
I can definitely second the recommendation to Pandemic. It's a co-op, so you're on the same team, and if you want the game to be shorter, just adjust the difficulty!

We play 2-player Agricolaall the time, but because of the time it takes (usually closer to 1.5-2 hrs), we picked up All Creatures Big and Small, the two player, shorter, modified version. It's a worker placement, gathering of resources type game. There is little luck involved, but adaptability is key. The tension in the game is superb, as the number of rounds is limited, and it is not possible to do everything. So, while you may start with one strategy in mind, your partner's strategy will impact what you are able to do. But really, how hard can 7 rounds be?

One last thing, regarding the 1 hour time limit. Some games take a large amount of time to set up, compared to how long they take to play, so my husband and I sometimes set up games while the other is away from home. That way, when we sit down to play the game, all we have to do is start the game. You might find that this lengthens your gaming experience.. just be careful if you have cats or children!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre is great with two players. It's not too long, relatively easy to understand the basic rules, but has a lot of interaction between buildings and resources and ships to add thinkiness to it. It's also not a cutthroat game and has multiple paths to gaining wealth and lots of special buildings to keep things fresh and provide replayability. Finally if you have an iPhone or iPad then there is a terrific iOS version of the game as well that you can play before you buy the full board game (or can just play on the iPad together, either way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SMRCette wrote:
I can definitely second the recommendation to Pandemic. ...

Just FYI if you look at the original poster's game list he already owns Pandemic.

Good game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
SMRCette wrote:

Just FYI if you look at the original poster's game list he already owns Pandemic.

And that's okay, because other users use the recommendations forum to find what they're looking for too. It's not just for the OP.

I only look at the OP's collection when he/she requests it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Not even sure that it possible to have a good, deep, immersive game experience that play in an hour or less. It seems doubtful, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask all those BGGs with wide-ranging gaming experience.

Yes, it is a rare combination in a game. But definitely not impossible. Here are two examples I know of:

The Great Zimbabwe takes less than an hour with 2 players, and it's a very deep game. The only negatives are price and availability.

Pax Porfiriana is another complex, deep game that can be played in an hour with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Edit: just re-read and noticed the word "deep". I haven't played Space Alert enough to know whether it's a deep game.

I love Space Alert, and it's certainly immersive and *substantial* -- you can play two games in an hour and feel more satisfied than a lot of much longer single games -- but I don't know if I'd call it deep. The challenge is in juggling all the things happening at once and developing just the right level of board awareness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios
Firenze
+1 Magnate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Not even sure that it possible to have a good, deep, immersive game experience that play in an hour or less.

Not recommending it for you, but chess played with clocks with 30 minutes each on the clock is guaranteed to take less than an hour and, if good or better at the game (not a claim I'm making) should be deeply immersing even with that limit.

More generally, I think it depends on the game. The same game would be a one hour deeply immersing game for one group, or two hours with less immersion for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line a great little card game of building formations in different areas of the battle line. The tension is that you have to play a card per turn so at some point you have to commit to the formation you're attempting. Meanwhile, you may have cards in your hand that you know your opponent needs and won't be able to get. It's has a nice logic component to it. If you prefer a less military theme, there is a "highland games" version, Schotten Totten.

Ingenious. This one plays well with 2-4. You place tiles on the board scoring points in different colors. But, your final score is the color where you have your lowest score, so you have to make sure that you get points in every color. Blocking off colors so that your opponent can't get to them is a part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo is good, so what about Asante?
Glory to Rome
Magic the gathering
A thematic deck builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is "deep" even possible for a boardgame in under an hour? I would generally expect deep to require a certain expenditure of time, and an hour just doesn't sound like enough.

I agree with Christopher Dearlove. Chess is the only one that comes immediately to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play 1 board of die macher in and hour after you know how to play it. Come back to do a different board each playtime. In 7 to 8 plays you'd finish a game of a deep game.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
Is "deep" even possible for a boardgame in under an hour? I would generally expect deep to require a certain expenditure of time, and an hour just doesn't sound like enough.

Deep and quick can certainly be compatible. Game of SIM plays in five minutes or so, but has a mathematical depth that would elude all but a few dozen people on the planet. But deep, quick and interesting becomes one of those triangles (like manufacturing's cheap, fast, and good) where you might only be able to select two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't come with a board, but I'd highly recommend checking out Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My fiancé and I like to play Hive. I got the pocket version which comes everywhere with us and comes with the two expansions included. Very much like chess without a board. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
flag msg tools
Hmm...You could always try Lords of Waterdeep. At two players that would clock in at under an hour most likely and there would still be a good element of decision making and strategy.

Also most Stefan Feld games are designed to play around 30 minutes a player so while your first couple games may take a little longer than an hour due to rules learning, once your comfortable it should be good. Castles of Burgundy plays very well with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
dugman wrote:
SMRCette wrote:

And that's okay, because other users use the recommendations forum to find what they're looking for too. It's not just for the OP.

Do what you like of course, although I prefer to try and answer the person who asked the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
thedacker wrote:
dugman wrote:
SMRCette wrote:

Do what you like of course, although I prefer to try and answer the person who asked the question.

The use of "although" would make it seem you don't think that I or SMRCette are also "trying to answer the person who asked the question". Is that correct?

Another thing to note--and something I've seen on numerous occasions--is that it's often a good thing to remind people of any games they might already have in their collection that work for the request. I've seen people say things like, "Hey, thanks for reminding about Game X! I had totally forgotten that it does Request X. Sounds like I need to pull it out and play it again."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Duplaisir
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with race for the galaxy. Its quick and their is player interaction but not directly like cut throat ot take that. Whatever action each player chooses, all players will take that action. This lets you try to figure out what your opponent is going to do and make a strategy to capitalize off of that.

Tahiti is a quick 20-30 minute pick up and deliver game that is fun.

Agricola: All creatures big and small is a great quick strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Biblios
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Last Will (playing time is 60 min, i usualy play in 90-120 min)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.