Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia for iPad is getting closer and closer to launch!

Here are some additional details about the game:

1) The AI is formidable. When playing against one or more computer players, you'll be challenged. I've worked closely with the developer to ensure that that the computer can employ a variety of strategies. There will be different levels to the AI so you can ramp up without getting (too) humiliated.

2) While the game religiously follows the rules of the analog game, there's one exception: Instead of getting two personal goals and choosing which you'd like to keep, you'll only get one, but that goal will never be a goal that contradicts any of the public goals. It's one of those things that can't be done with the cardboard version of the game, but was it possible, it probably would have worked that way.

3) Suburbia for iPad will be compatible with iOS6 and higher. There are a few technical reasons for this, including Game Center Multiplayer features, but it does mean that original iPad users won't be able to play Suburbia.

4) You'll be able to play an almost-final version of Suburbia for iPad at Essen Spiel in the Bezier Games booth: 1-G147. Unlike the limited preview at GenCon, you'll be able to play a full game against the computer AI or other players.

5) Playing a full game on the iPad takes most people less than 10 minutes once they know the rules. If you already know the rules, there's not much to learn...you can jump in right away and start playing.

6) One of the best features in the game is what we've been calling the "Bubble," a little pop-up that shows up next to the tile you just placed that tells you what the impact of placing the tile you have in each location, as far as Cash, Income, Population, and Reputation are concerned, both to your total as well as what the net changes are. It also tells you how many red lines you might be crossing. It's super handy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks incredible! I can't wait to totally ignore my family while playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to this Ted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:
Suburbia for iPad is getting closer and closer to launch!
I'm afraid my English isn't quite up to snuff and I can't understand what you meant by this statement. Could you have some mercy on those of us with a language deficiency and perhaps restate this sentence in some other, more exact, manner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Clark
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome, instant buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Kyle
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instant buy, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing I just got an iPad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the thinking on the goal rules difference. Sometimes it is nice to have a goal directly counter to the open goals. It makes it especially easy to accomplish a lot of times and you are free to go concentrate on other public goals. You aren't going to win them all anyways.

Oh well. iPad1 is incompatible, so I won't be able to pick this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
Elitist!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
really looking forward to this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks and sounds awesome!

What are the mechanics to view another player's suburb in the app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of an Android port?

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
We are definitely planning a release for Android (Suburbia is being developed in a cross-platform development environment to make sure this can happen as effortlessly as possible). Until after the iPad version is out, however, we won't have any release date information about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iPad's Ticket To Ride game includes what the option of multi-human multi-AI games. Very sadly, Stone Age does not. Will Suburbia have this option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:
We are definitely planning a release for Android (Suburbia is being developed in a cross-platform development environment to make sure this can happen as effortlessly as possible). Until after the iPad version is out, however, we won't have any release date information about it.

As a mobile app developer, I'm curious as to what cross-platform technology is being used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter OHara
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. Nice effort. Never even heard of Suburbia but I want this thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
California
flag msg tools
toulouse wrote:

2) While the game religiously follows the rules of the analog game, there's one exception: Instead of getting two personal goals and choosing which you'd like to keep, you'll only get one, but that goal will never be a goal that contradicts any of the public goals. It's one of those things that can't be done with the cardboard version of the game, but was it possible, it probably would have worked that way.

Could we get some details about how and which goals are considered to contradict each other? That way if we wanted to implement a designer preferred goal option in the cardboard version we can? i.e. we only give out one goal, but if it contradicts, reveal it (since no one should have gotten it anyway) and draw a new one.

Are we just talking about opposites, say if the Highest Rep goal is out, then no one should have the Lowest Rep goal privately?

What about if the Highest and Lowest Rep goals are both public? Should public contradicting goals be changed to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian559 wrote:
toulouse wrote:

Could we get some details about how and which goals are considered to contradict each other? That way if we wanted to implement a designer preferred goal option in the cardboard version we can? i.e. we only give out one goal, but if it contradicts, reveal it (since no one should have gotten it anyway) and draw a new one.

Are we just talking about opposites, say if the Highest Rep goal is out, then no one should have the Lowest Rep goal privately?

What about if the Highest and Lowest Rep goals are both public? Should public contradicting goals be changed to?

I am also confused as to why this couldn't be implemented in the cardboard version. Is there something wrong with Ian's method?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually don't see the problem at all. So what if a personal goal is the direct opposite of one of the public goals?

At a minimum I would suggest the new rule to be an optional rule to the rules as printed in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
California
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
I actually don't see the problem at all. So what if a personal goal is the direct opposite of one of the public goals?

It limits you and frees you up at the same time. If you're only given one goal, and it's the opposite of a public goal, and you want to go after the public goal to deny it from other people, then you automatically give up your goal. But, there is also some security in knowing that you can just let the public goal go and knowing that the point swing on that particular goal will be cancelled out by your private.

*shrug*

curtc wrote:
At a minimum I would suggest the new rule to be an optional rule to the rules as printed in the game.

Agreed, once I saw that he said he would have liked to implement it that way in the cardboard version, I just wanted to know the parameters so I can try it out if I want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mb
Well, thankfully there are always app updates to help make variations and wishes realities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian559 wrote:
curtc wrote:

If you're only given one goal, and it's the opposite of a public goal, ...

Where did that idea come from? Getting just one goal that might be the opposite of a public goal is not what's in the rules nor what's described in the app.

Ian559 wrote:
But, there is also some security in knowing that you can just let the public goal go and knowing that the point swing on that particular goal will be cancelled out by your private.

Right, which is why I don't see the problem with rules as written. Other than maybe someone might complain that they can't win all the public goals AND their private. Boohoo.
(Were you were disagreeing with what I was saying? I can't tell.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

The problem is that, while most players could conceivably win all three public goals and their private goal, one player could only win three out of four. That is a noticable disadvantage if the two conflicting goals are 20-pointers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hymie wrote:
curtc wrote:

The problem is that, while most players could conceivably win all three public goals and their private goal, one player could only win three out of four. That is a noticable disadvantage if the two conflicting goals are 20-pointers.

Ok, now I see it. It's "there are four goals to shoot for" (whether or you get them all) vs "there are three goals to shoot for" (whether or not you get them all). Fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
California
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
Ian559 wrote:
curtc wrote:

If you're only given one goal, and it's the opposite of a public goal, ...

Where did that idea come from? Getting just one goal that might be the opposite of a public goal is not what's in the rules nor what's described in the app.

You're right, but tou were actually the one that brought that idea up when you asked 'So what if a personal goal is the opposite as a public?' I guess I didn't really need to talk about it like that, because in the cardboard rules now, you could choose to take an opposite goal on purpose (I actually think it's a good move in two player games, not so good in three player, and bad in four player).

I was just talking about it as a hypothetical situation. IF the rules said you only get one goal, and it happened to be opposite of a public goal, it could be good or bad for X reasons.

The goal rules for the cardboard version and IOS, being given two tiles and a choice, or automatically given a single goal that doesn't 'contradict' respectively, are how the possible bad luck of a single random goal draw was mitigated. Sometimes, with new players, we allow them a three goal draw to be even nicer.

It seems to be the situation that Ted seemed to want to avoid, but that's only because I'm assuming that when he says contradicting goals, that he meant public and private goals that are opposite, most yellow public and fewest yellow private for instance.

I just wanted to know the logic being used to determine what contradicts, so that I can implement it in the cardboard version if I want to. Is it simply opposites, or is it more complicated, like...if Most Greens, Least Blues, and Least Cash is out, you won't be given Highest Income as a private goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anothe iOS only game, sad panda here.

You know, if you leave the US, there are far more Android devices than iOS, so if you have some idea how many people will buy this game for iOS multiply that number with some n>1 number and you can see the potential in Android buyers.

I do not understand why to stick to one producer creating a monopoly-like situation ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.