Niklas Salo
msg tools
We're a group that had been playing civ for some time, and recently we found out that we'be bern handeling the gold coins in a wrong way.

Now my question for clarification;

You cannot harvest gold as a resource. Gold from the gameboard and cards with a gold coin printed on does not grant a coin token, but increases the gold dail on the civilization sheet.

So investments can only be made by gold coin tokens, correct?
Gold generated from the map cannot be invested? Same with gold tokens on technology cards?

Another question is loot; force someone to throw away gold or steal. That is gold tokens only, but how about gold on a technology card, can they be effected by loot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, you can only invest a physical cardboard coin token.

Likewise, only coin tokens can be removed or stolen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Enjsalo wrote:
We're a group that had been playing civ for some time, and recently we found out that we'be bern handeling the gold coins in a wrong way.

Now my question for clarification;

You cannot harvest gold as a resource. Gold from the gameboard and cards with a gold coin printed on does not grant a coin token, but increases the gold dail on the civilization sheet.

So investments can only be made by gold coin tokens, correct?
Gold generated from the map cannot be invested? Same with gold tokens on technology cards?

Another question is loot; force someone to throw away gold or steal. That is gold tokens only, but how about gold on a technology card, can they be effected by loot?

Gold Coin cannot be harvested.
Printed gold coin (tech, board, bank, GP) only increase your economic dial.
Investment can only be made by coin token (Gift from afar, Whealth, Code of Laws, Pottery, Democracy, Printing Press, Education).

1 loot -> You force the player to discard a coin token of his choice (-> from Civ sheet if it comes from Gift from afar or from Whealth / -> from techs if the coin comes from Code of Laws, Pottery, Democracy, Printing Press, Education).

2 loots -> 2 coin tokens to discard (same as above). Or steal a coin token of your choice -> same as above, except you choose the coin you steal and put it on your civ sheet. Even if you and the opponent have, for example, Pottery, the coin you steal from this tech don't go on your Pottery tech but on your Civ sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Salo
msg tools
Quote:
Investment can only be made by coin token (Gift from afar, Whealth, Code of Laws, Pottery, Democracy, Printing Press, Education).

Those techs with a gold coin at, same with monarchy (old verdion) or organized religion policy doesn't give a coin token according to my understanding. That coin is a printed coin which increases the dial, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Enjsalo wrote:
Quote:

Those techs with a gold coin at, same with monarchy (old verdion) or organized religion policy doesn't give a coin token according to my understanding. That coin is a printed coin which increases the dial, right?

Yes (except it's the old version of feudalism that haves a Coin on it ^^).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Salo
msg tools
Oh, yes ofc thank you that my question is answered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gado Gadolphos
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yeah this is true. base game made economy super easy (the rules say coins cannot be lost) and the fastest civ's win was Germany econ (ideal scenario) in like 7 turns?

F&F added investments and allows the ability to lose coins now. since most of the econ victories coins came from tech cards, this made it more difficult for econ victory.

W&W added way more printed coins, thus protecting your econ victory once again. and put them on techs that are appealing, and made the other techs with coins more appealing too. now you can get most, if not all, your coins from printed coins if you are lucky in tile flips and GP draws. (especially the merchant GP that gives you a coin, that's 2 coins for 1 GP, pretty awesome)

thus the way I explain it is how you guys got it. coin tokens. coins that you can move around without moving a tile or piece of the gameboard

I think someone somewhere else described it to his friends of "if you cut off the corner pieces of my GPs, I will cut you with a knife" or something like that lol. it's here on the forums somewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Gadolphos wrote:

I think someone somewhere else described it to his friends of "if you cut off the corner pieces of my GPs, I will cut you with a knife" or something like that lol. it's here on the forums somewhere

I remember that post. Was the clearer post I ever seen to make people understand the difference between printed coin and coin token ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.