Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen several mentions in several different places for how one culls the decks of weaker cards as the game advances. However, I've looked through the rule book several times and can't see any mention of it. (Note, I'm not saying it's not there. I find that the harder I look for one specific piece of information, the less likely I am to find it.)

Are these rules in the rule book? If not, where are they also listed officially for future reference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't got my copy to hand for exact wording but on the 'Rise of the runelords' adventure path card it says that after the third expansion pack you can remove any cards with the 'basic' trait when you encounter them. After the sixth you do the same with cards with the 'elite' trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sierra
msg tools
You get rid of Basics back to the box as you ditch them while playing Pack#1, then Elites get dumped as you progress through Pack#3, and you stop adding Bs,Cs,&1s as you start Pack#3, and then you stay no more than 2 packs behind from then on.

So, in pack#4, nothing earlier than pack#2, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erewego wrote:
You get rid of Basics back to the box as you ditch them while playing Pack#1, then Elites get dumped as you progress through Pack#3, and you stop adding Bs,Cs,&1s as you start Pack#3, and then you stay no more than 2 packs behind from then on.

Um... wha....?

You don't even start removing anything until pack 3... no clue why you feel basics go at 1 and elites go at 3.

You add everything to the box as you progress, you only start removing them as you encounter them later on. Banes get removed automatically and boons can be removed by choice. No clue how you feel that you stop adding B, C, and 1... when they're supposed to already be added.

The "Bs,Cs,&1s" stay in the box of available cards until they're removed after encounters.

The 'stay no more than 2 packs behind from then on.' is of only slight relation to creating new characters. Once the party is on adventure pack 3, new characters can choose boons from Adventure pack 1, instead of the B's & C's when making their initial decks. But when doing so, they must stay AT LEAST 2 packs behind. They cannot use boons from pack 2, for example, to create their initial decks. Once on pack 4, they could choose cards from B, C, 1, and 2, but they could not choose cards from 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
erewego wrote:

Please edit your post to mark that this concept is incorrect to not cause further confusion.

I am not sure where you thought you read any rules like this, but it is far from correct.

The rules for removing cards from play are printed on the Rise Of The Runelords adventure path card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite part from the removal of basics, and later elites, from the general card pool, there is also the chance to "cull" cards from your character's deck at the end of each scenario. Win or lose, after a scenario your deck must comply with the card list printed on your character card (so Sajan must have 4 items, no more, no less). Chances are, you'll have picked up extra items, blessings, weapons, etc during the scenario. At the end of which, you choose which ones to keep and which ones to put back in the supply. You're not going to keep a rusty short sword if you've just found a shiny magic Longsword +1 and can't keep both in your deck, so you cull the short sword. Of course, as it's back in the supply you may very well encounter that short sword again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
I've seen several mentions in several different places for how one culls the decks of weaker cards as the game advances. However, I've looked through the rule book several times and can't see any mention of it. (Note, I'm not saying it's not there. I find that the harder I look for one specific piece of information, the less likely I am to find it.)

Are these rules in the rule book? If not, where are they also listed officially for future reference?

the culling mechanism is explained on the "During this adventure Path" section on the adventure path card for Rise of the Runelords

Quote:
After you begin the Hook Mountain Massacre (Adventure 3), whenever you banish a bane with the Basic trait, remove it from the game; whenever you banish a boon with the Basic trait, you may (optional) remove it from the game. After you begin Sins of the Saviors (Adventure 5), do the same for cards with the Elite trait.

parenthetical notes are my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Quite part from the removal of basics, and later elites, from the general card pool, there is also the chance to "cull" cards from your character's deck at the end of each scenario. Win or lose, after a scenario your deck must comply with the card list printed on your character card (so Sajan must have 4 items, no more, no less). Chances are, you'll have picked up extra items, blessings, weapons, etc during the scenario. At the end of which, you choose which ones to keep and which ones to put back in the supply. You're not going to keep a rusty short sword if you've just found a shiny magic Longsword +1 and can't keep both in your deck, so you cull the short sword. Of course, as it's back in the supply you may very well encounter that short sword again.

This I do know - I've finished the intro adventure and made several character deck upgrades already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We put it on the Adventure Path card, which allows us (in theory) to tailor it to particular adventure paths. We're keen to see feedback from people on the periodic culling process, as it's particular difficult to playtest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erewego wrote:

There's some confusion here, probably mixing the concepts of how you cull cards over the course of the AP, and how character deck building works.

For specific details, see the Adventure Path card _Rise of the Runelords_.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Pacheco
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sorry now I'm a bit confused. As we play and banish banes/boons whatever, we put them back in the box but they still get included in the mix for the next scenario. Im not permanently removing them from the game untill adventure pack 3.

Am I doing this right? Actually removing whatever I run across would be great as we could get more variety. As it is we could theoretically run into the same damn longsword no one wants in a number of different scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ilpalazo wrote:
Sorry now I'm a bit confused. As we play and banish banes/boons whatever, we put them back in the box but they still get included in the mix for the next scenario. Im not permanently removing them from the game untill adventure pack 3.

Am I doing this right? Actually removing whatever I run across would be great as we could get more variety. As it is we could theoretically run into the same damn longsword no one wants in a number of different scenarios

As I understand it, you are currently doing it right. During the third pack you'd actually remove any basic cards from the box entirely, not just "banish" them as you are doing now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
ilpalazo wrote:

As I understand it, you are currently doing it right. During the third pack you'd actually remove any basic cards from the box entirely, not just "banish" them as you are doing now.
Clarification. You do not remove them from the box of available cards until you actually encounter them over the course of a scenario. You don't just immediately go in when you start Adventure 3 and remove all the basic cards from the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's what I meant by "during the 3rd pack." But you're right, that wasn't totally clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LNXlady
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadpbrown wrote:
We put it on the Adventure Path card, which allows us (in theory) to tailor it to particular adventure paths. We're keen to see feedback from people on the periodic culling process, as it's particular difficult to playtest.

This information should also have been put on the Hook Mountain Massacre card itself, since that is when you start doing it. Even knowing I had read it somewhere, once we got to Hook Mountain I could not find the information anywhere in the book or on the Hook Mountain card and had to search the forums for it. It's been months since we read the Adventure Path 1 card. I would never have thought to look back there for it. It makes no sense not to include it on the card where it goes into affect when that card isn't even purchasable until months after one has probably read the first card used in the game. JMHO. Mentioning it in the rule book might have been a good idea, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Roberts
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadpbrown wrote:
We're keen to see feedback from people on the periodic culling process, as it's particular difficult to playtest.

I will say this about this process, at least insomuch as I've seen it in play in Hook Mountain Massacre:

This mechanic does create a slight tension between tactical and strategic decisions while playing the game. When playing with fewer numbers of characters, it's not that big of a deal...you just choose not to acquire basic boons, foregoing any immediate assistance they may or may not provide (e.g., getting an ally and immediately exploring again), in order to improve one's chances of getting better cards later on. With larger numbers of players, getting those allies and extra explores in medias res can be a real help, so it's sometimes a bit painful to choose not to acquire the boon in order to get it out of circulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schuyler Hoffer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happens if, as in my case, you play with two players with one hero each and we complete the Hook Mountain adventure and over the course of the adventure basic cards are removed from the game. Would those cards remain out of play when we start playing the adventure with two different heroes? Anyone have an idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the intent is more to toughen up the game after Hook Mountain Massacre since you don't remove the card from the game until after you banish it. So I think to be perfectly in line with the designer's intent you'd want to put those cards back in for your second party. But then that opens the door to some HUGE logistical headaches. It doesn't seem to me like keeping the cards removed by the first party out for the second party would make things dramatically tougher across the board - especially since two two member parties aren't going to process a ton more cards than one four member party (8 decks vs 6 decks - so 33% more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schuyler Hoffer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
I'd say the intent is more to toughen up the game after Hook Mountain Massacre since you don't remove the card from the game until after you banish it. So I think to be perfectly in line with the designer's intent you'd want to put those cards back in for your second party. But then that opens the door to some HUGE logistical headaches. It doesn't seem to me like keeping the cards removed by the first party out for the second party would make things dramatically tougher across the board - especially since two two member parties aren't going to process a ton more cards than one four member party (8 decks vs 6 decks - so 33% more).

Yeah, I wouldn't think that keeping those cards out would throw off the balance of the game, Mostly I was just hoping someone would have noticed an official rule regarding this issue so I could know either way. It is the logistical angle that I was most grudging anyway...

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.