DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
...we finally got to play a 4-Player game.

I was on the fence about Brass for a long time. Since my wife and I have 3 kids, we knew we'd likely only be playing it as a 2-player game (which requires an unofficial variant).

The forums here convinced me that the 2-Player variant made for a great game, and even after many plays, my wife and I both simply love Brass with just two. (I think we only played once or twice before getting the custom 2-player map specially printed full-size.) Still, we always wondered if we were missing out.

Yesterday, with my daughter away with my parents, we finally got to try a 4-player session of Brass with my two boys (aged 12 and 14). Everyone loved the game... in fact, the boys afterward convinced me to order Age of Industry because they'd really like to be able to play more often (which essentially means needing to support 5 players).

But, I found that the 4-player experience added very little over the 2-player experience. I expected a lot more competition for canal/rail locations and a lot more competition for building spaces. But it didn't turn out that way... there was more tension, but it was only somewhat more. I think the map changes for the 2-player variant were very well thought-out.

Given the fact that your turn comes back around a lot quicker with just 2-players, I may have to vote that Brass is best with two, but still downright excellent with more.

Brass remains one of my favorite games. A classic with a lot of its own unique mechanics and flavor.

Links to the 2P version:

Variant rules for 2 player game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Competition comes with experience. I find four-player to be far more competitive for industries and rails (no one competes for canals, in fact it is the opposite; people wait for others to build them). The two-player game is fine in a pinch, but the significant tension and competition for turn order alone is enough to make four players the ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2p, you have to do a bit of everything. In 4p, you play a bit more cooperatively, opening up new strategies. The 4p game rewards focus and good utilization of tactical opportunities. You really won't see a lot of the cool aspects of the 4p game until you have 4 experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.