Subject: Getting to Konduz/Badakshan as Govt or Coalition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I right in thinking that the layout of the map means that Govt cannot Transport to them as they are not adjacent to a LoC?

Is the only way to get forces there to Airlift with the Coalition, then set up a Govt base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you can take the slow road of marching space to space until you get there. LoCs and airlifts can give you the speed, but you don't need to use airlift if you don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also take a LOC to a close location and march space by space there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Conor is correct. The Government does not have a March operation to move from space to space. Patrol and Sweep ops seem to be restricted to provinces adjacent to Lines of Communication. Also, the Transport Special Activity seems to be restricted to provinces adjacent to Lines of Communication. There are no Lines of Communication adjacent to Konduz and Badakhshan, so it would appear that the only way Government troops could move there would be via the Airlift Special Activity when accompanying Coalition troops. Similarly, the Coalition does not have a March operation and it would appear that the only way Coalition Troops could move there would be via the Airlift Special Activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Sarnacki
Poland
Wyszków
Mazowsze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13442745#13442745
You'll find answer here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhope wrote:
Patrol and Sweep ops seem to be restricted to provinces adjacent to Lines of Communication. Also, the Transport Special Activity seems to be restricted to provinces adjacent to Lines of Communication.
As in thread linked by maciunia - it's not true.
(Clarification, because this sentence is not clear: above quote by jhope is not true which is explained in link posted by maciunia.)
Summa summarum:

- Patrol - limited only to LoCs and Kabul, but can move through many spaces.
- Transport - limited to LoCs, where can move through many spaces, and for Provinces or Kabul adjacent to LoCs.
- Sweep - move between any two adjacent spaces. No matter what kind of spaces, but move only one space.

In other words you can move to Badakhstan and Konduz but in two moves - firstly with any Operations that move forces to Baghlan for example, and second move to destination.
Edit: I was wrong - Patrol+Sweep is one option in two moves. Second option is Transport+Sweep which can be of course done in one move (because Tranport is Special Activity). Just as maciunia has corrected it below. Sorry.

I really don't know what confusion of this procedure comes from - in rulebook there is clearly written that moving through LoCs in Sweep is not obligatory, it's optional and very helpful. Look in 3.2.3, Sweep procedure:
In addition, each group of Troops may first move onto an adjacent LoC that is free of Sabotage and then into an adjacent space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Sarnacki
Poland
Wyszków
Mazowsze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhope wrote:
I believe Conor is correct. The Government does not have a March operation to move from space to space. Patrol and Sweep ops seem to be restricted to provinces adjacent to Lines of Communication. Also, the Transport Special Activity seems to be restricted to provinces adjacent to Lines of Communication. There are no Lines of Communication adjacent to Konduz and Badakhshan, so it would appear that the only way Government troops could move there would be via the Airlift Special Activity when accompanying Coalition troops. Similarly, the Coalition does not have a March operation and it would appear that the only way Coalition Troops could move there would be via the Airlift Special Activity.

You can first move by 'transport' special activity to Baghlan, then make sweep operation into Badakhshan and Konduz - all in one move. You could find it in article I linked before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answering!

Note that Transport between two adjacent Provinces without using a LoC at all also is legal (see highlighted rule text below), offering yet another way for Govt to get to remote areas.

Once any COIN Control in a Province, Coalition also can Surge in.

Quote:
4.3.2 Transport. Transport moves Troops, such as to gain rapid control of the countryside.

PROCEDURE: Select 1 space and move any Government Troops from there onto 1 adjacent LoC, if desired. They may continue to move along adjacent LoCs or through Kabul and then, if desired, into any 1 adjacent destination (not Pakistan, 1.4.2). Troops must stop at any Sabotage. Government then transfers 1 Resource to Warlords (if it has any) for each space entered (LoC, Province, or City) containing any Guerrillas (regardless of who’s).

Regards, vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troops moving along the LoC stop at sabotage...but I assume that they can jump off the LoC to an adjacent province at that point? They aren't just stalled on the LoC until the next turn, right? It's just that they can't progress past the sabotage to the next LoC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But then this rule would be pointless. What's the point to destroying routes if COIN forces can just slip through Sabotage?

This is great is A Distant Plain comparing to Andean Abyss - sabotaging LoC now really makes sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks to all of you for helping me learn this fascinating game. I've been studying the player aid card while playing the Warlord faction in a live four-player game, two propaganda rounds behind us last week, four more ahead this week, now to dig deeper into the rule book before Wednesday evening. I'm slowing learning it, and hopefully less than a year to go now before Fire in the Lake arrives for the post doctoral course on COIN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jhope wrote:
... hopefully less than a year to go now before Fire in the Lake arrives for the post doctoral course on COIN!

I'd say that's a fair bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
Troops moving along the LoC stop at sabotage...but I assume that they can jump off the LoC to an adjacent province at that point? They aren't just stalled on the LoC until the next turn, right? It's just that they can't progress past the sabotage to the next LoC?

I had the same question just last night. Does a Sabotaged LoC stop Government Troops on it, or are they still able to move on to it and off into an adjacent Province, the effect of the Sabotage being to stop the Troops going onto an subsequent LoC and thence to a further adjacent Province?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And further to that, in a somewhat unrelated note, what is the cost for a guerrilla to move ALONG an LoC, or is that not possible? The rules seem to cover moving ONTO an LoC quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
thegreat2 wrote:

I had the same question just last night. Does a Sabotaged LoC stop Government Troops on it, or are they still able to move on to it and off into an adjacent Province, the effect of the Sabotage being to stop the Troops going onto an subsequent LoC and thence to a further adjacent Province?

See 3.2.3 Sweep PROCEDURE: Neither Govt nor Coalition may use Sabotaged LoCs to extend the reach of their Sweeps.

Then see 3.2.2 Patrol PROCEDURE: Patrolling Govt and Coalition Troops must stop (and move no further) if they enter a Sabotaged LoC.

Finally, see 4.3.2 Transport PROCEDURE: Transported Govt Troops similarly must stop (and move no further) if they enter a Sabotaged LoC.

Regards! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
And further to that, in a somewhat unrelated note, what is the cost for a guerrilla to move ALONG an LoC, or is that not possible? The rules seem to cover moving ONTO an LoC quite well.

I don't know the distinction in the case of March, which only allows movement into adjacent spaces, whether LoC, Province, or Kabul.

Taliban Guerrillas can March through a chain of Pashtun spaces, but LoCs are never Pashtun. (1.3.4)

The cost to March into a LoC is 0 Resources. (3.3.2)

Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification - it is something that had only come up with the Afghan ring road network where a faction would be movtivated to move LoC to LoC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Just to be complete then, Guerrilla March from a LoC onto an adjacent LoC would be legal and cost 0 Resources. vfr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Bolechów
Poland
Wroclaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have additional question. Let's say that during transport special activity we stopped on sabotaged LoC. What can we do with our next move? Can we transport our troops further from this sabotaged LoC to any adjacent space - even LoC adjacent to the sabotaged LoC we stopped at before and are stuck now? Or do we must leave the sabotaged LoC by moving into any adjacent province/Kabul but not to adjacent LoC?
Hmmm... I hope it is understandable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On a later move, you could just keep going into any adjacent space. Only entering Sabotage stops you--leaving Sabotage is irrelevant.

You would have had to double the number of Special Activities to use Transport to get where you are going, so the single Sabotage would have done its job!

Regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Volko,

So sabotage of a LOC acts only as a temporary "blocking action" to Patrols/Sweeps and Transport by Coalition/Government. Interesting, never thought of it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, for Patrol and Transport. Though that's still quite significant, as requiring 2 Patrols (that tend to be pretty limited in what they can accomplish) instead of other ops, or 2 Transports (precious Special Activities) to get where you want to go is a steep price. With regard to Sweep, you can't use Sabotaged LoCs at all, so it's more than temporary (until the next Prop Reset and campaign of course). vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.