Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's already available on Amazon but no English rules in sight. So I thought I'd offer 50 bag for some kind geek who can provide a decent (no funny google translate business) translation of these German rules: http://www.kosmos.de/_files_media/mediathek/downloads/anleit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 50 GG for an English translation of the German rules
Runkst wrote:
The game's already available on Amazon but no English rules in sight. So I thought I'd offer 50 bag for some kind geek who can provide a decent (no funny google translate business) translation of these German rules: http://www.kosmos.de/_files_media/mediathek/downloads/anleit...

I will add 50GG in addition to what Runkst is offering!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 100 GG for an English translation of the German rules
johnnyspys wrote:
Runkst wrote:

I will add 50GG in addition to what Runkst is offering!

I added those 50 GG to the title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to have something presentable by the end of this coming weekend, though that is far from a sure thing.

Using Google translate, my very rusty high school/college German, and a couple of alternate sources, including http://boardgamegeek.com/video/34426 , I think I have a pretty good handle on the rules and am just cleaning up the Google translation in my spare time.

I have extracted the images from the German rules PDF and have been trying to keep the format as close to the original as possible.

I could use some Photoshop help, however, as the non-square tiles are not extracting from the PDF with transparent backgrounds, causing them to look less than ideal. I fear that image cleanup is beyond me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb

Just got my copy this morning & have fought through the rules (my German is a bit rusty after 6 years in the US). If the government shutdown continues (i.e. my furlough continues), I will try to get something up. It might be a "rules teach" video; to at least give folks an idea of how the game plays, etc. Need to teach it to (play it with) my wife first...

From the rules read, it looks like a classic, middle-weight, tactical Euro. Almost exactly what I would have expected from the designer duo. I suspect that if you like Asara, you will like this one.

They must have cut-down an entire forest to make enough cardboard for this game (14 sheets)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sroney wrote:
I hope to have something presentable by the end of this coming weekend, though that is far from a sure thing.

Using Google translate, my very rusty high school/college German, and a couple of alternate sources, including http://boardgamegeek.com/video/34426 , I think I have a pretty good handle on the rules and am just cleaning up the Google translation in my spare time.

I have extracted the images from the German rules PDF and have been trying to keep the format as close to the original as possible.

I could use some Photoshop help, however, as the non-square tiles are not extracting from the PDF with transparent backgrounds, causing them to look less than ideal. I fear that image cleanup is beyond me.

I don't think anyone expects fancy graphics in an unofficial translation, I'd happily make do with non-transparent backgrounds or even just references to the images in the original rules. As long as you're sure that the rules themselves are correct.

phunlvr wrote:
They must have cut-down an entire forest to make enough cardboard for this game (14 sheets)...

I know! It's not yet at Shipyard-like levels but it's getting there

Meanwhile, I've received an unofficial French translation of the rules. I'll be checking with my source if I can upload it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to make a translation but thought I would be good to ask Kosmos first, whether they'd be ok with it being posted here.

As it turns out, they are not.

They are still looking for a licence partner for an English release and will present the game to interested parties at Essen'13 and Nürnberg'14.

As I was told, if a German game is already perfectly playable for English speakers with an unofficial set of rules, it might dissuade potential licence partners to "go for it".

They also said that if they haven't found a partner after Nürnberg next year, then it would be ok to publish an unofficial translation, because then they apparently won't look any further.

I don't think it makes sense to use this thread to discuss this decision, I just wanted to state the facts and point out that if somebody uploads a translation, they will probably have to take it down again sooner or later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you don't HAVE to upload it. But if you do finish it, then distribution by mail would work just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:
I wanted to make a translation but thought I would be good to ask Kosmos first, whether they'd be ok with it being posted here.

They are still looking for a licence partner for an English release and will present the game to interested parties at Essen'13 and Nürnberg'14.

As I was told, if a German game is already perfectly playable for English speakers with an unofficial set of rules, it might dissuade potential licence partners to "go for it".

They also said that if they haven't found a partner after Nürberg next year, then it would be ok to publish an unofficial translation, because then they apparently won't look any further.

I don't think it makes sense to use this thread to discuss this decision, I just wanted to state the facts and point out that if somebody uploads a translation, they will probably have to take it down again sooner or later.

This is disappointing (and irritating because Kosmos seems to be one of the last remaining big publishers who start looking for licence partners only after finishing the games) but I respect their decision. So I'll postpone the 50 GG reward until after Nuremberg.

Having played the game yesterday, I don't think they'll have much trouble getting it licensed though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if anyone puts a translation together, I would be much obliged if they e-mailed me to let me know about it

And while I know that one of the posters above didn't want to turn this into a commentary on Kosmos' decision, I hope that Kosmos is paying attention to this cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waylander1 wrote:
Well, if anyone puts a translation together, I would be much obliged if they e-mailed me to let me know about it

And while I know that one of the posters above didn't want to turn this into a commentary on Kosmos' decision, I hope that Kosmos is paying attention to this cry

I actually deeply respect their decision and I suspect they have a few people in mind. I really enjoy most Kosmos releases and perhaps some company can set up a US distribution deal with them based on all releases and not title by title. I mean it is Kosmos and they have a ton of great titles that are no longer seeing the U.S. because it seems their deal with Rio Grande is canceled/limited/needs renewing/whatever the answer maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting knee-jerk reaction, and not what I would have expected. In particular, a small buzz among folks willing to use a bastard-language fix-up copy seems to be a good way to get US publishers interested (I'm thinking of Agricola)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This apparent policy of theirs is one sure way to reduce buzz for their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, really bad decision.

I am sure, we will have rules translation to a lot of languages including Hungarian; I know , most of you do not care about Hungarian but please replace it with your native language.

And yes, mot of us would like to have an official English rule; if we can not have we will have 1 page so-called "player helper" in English in no time. It can be done on the two videos available now and Kosmos can not do anything against. Sorry, internet times mean you can not hide information and this statement is especially true if we could reach that info in any form.

Edit: I will put my 50GG for a nice-looking English rule PDF file. My offer expires on 2013 Nov 30. Just contact me on private mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, If there is the info let's translate it. I definitely will not wait until february.

I started the work, only the first page is done, downloadable from here: https://db.tt/yLOob4sx .

I have to state I am not a native german on english speaker; my german is not so strong (I understood about 60%, I use google translate).

Feel free to add any comment (language, word translation, graphic modification); I do not promise I take any or all of them but I do my best.

Also, If anyone with at least good german and very good english skill could tanslate the texts and send it to me privately, it will be a lot easier to me to insert it to pages.

I use Inkscape, so my solution provides a file which will be far more large than the original (only one page is 2.8 Mbyte; original is 3.8 Mbyte for 12 pages); also the page looks awful in Firefox, so please use Adobe Acrobat or similar to check.

Comments ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have translated the entire rulebook, you can get it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85771029/nauticus_rules_...

I am neither an English nor German native speaker, but I believe this translation is very usable. I apologize for any quirky wording, I did my best to adapt the Google translation to English sounding phrases.

If anyone wants to use my translation and incorporate the text into the PDF with images, feel free to do so. Just remember I did not translate the examples nor the summary on the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking really good! Thank you for all your hard work. I'm really looking forward to purchasing this game.

If you are made to remove the link to your translation will you please e-mail it to me at silverstryker1@gmail.com? Thanks again.

Arturo

bithalver wrote:
So, If there is the info let's translate it. I definitely will not wait until february.

I started the work, only the first page is done, downloadable from here: https://db.tt/yLOob4sx .

I have to state I am not a native german on english speaker; my german is not so strong (I understood about 60%, I use google translate).

Feel free to add any comment (language, word translation, graphic modification); I do not promise I take any or all of them but I do my best.

Also, If anyone with at least good german and very good english skill could tanslate the texts and send it to me privately, it will be a lot easier to me to insert it to pages.

I use Inkscape, so my solution provides a file which will be far more large than the original (only one page is 2.8 Mbyte; original is 3.8 Mbyte for 12 pages); also the page looks awful in Firefox, so please use Adobe Acrobat or similar to check.

Comments ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of having to pull it down, my translation, complete with images, is here:http://www.intellivisiongames.com/sroney/stephenroney.me/Nau...
I have not really finished the first page and some of the other text still has a few typos and things that can be cleaned up. I expect to have an update this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
mbmb
sroney wrote:
At the risk of having to pull it down, my translation, complete with images, is here:http://www.intellivisiongames.com/sroney/stephenroney.me/Nau...
I have not really finished the first page and some of the other text still has a few typos and things that can be cleaned up. I expect to have an update this weekend.

Beautiful! Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sroney wrote:

Got the first page done and updated the web copy.

Feel free to geekmail me with any comments/corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
sroney wrote:

Looks great at first look! Kosmos trying to prevent people from translating the rules to English seems like a really bad decision. Thanks so much for doing that.

Some GG for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvester Stachovicz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot!

Now have a look at Kashgar... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:

They also said that if they haven't found a partner after Nürnberg next year, then it would be ok to publish an unofficial translation, because then they apparently won't look any further.

Not a very forward thinking reaction from Kosmos in this day and age. Given that the sales will only be impacted by hardcore gamers willing to order from Europe to play and evangelize the game, any modern US publishing partner should see an early rules translation as a way to gauge interest, not as a threat. To think otherwise is probably to go the way of the dinosaur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Gould
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Many thanks for the translation, Stephen. One comment: The Start Player marker is always passed to the next player clockwise (Uhrzeigersinn), not to the player on the right (counterclockwise).

Again, thanks for all the work you put in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Yang
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
thanks for the excellent work.

one quick question:

"To buy more than one identical tile, the additional tiles cost 4 Taler ( and 1 worker ), regardless of the listed price of this tile."

Just to make sure, the cost to buy identical tiles after the first one is $4 plus one worker per each additional tile, correct?

so if I'm buying 3 identical tiles, I'd pay $[original price]+$4+$4+3 workers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.