Drew Ames
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In reading through the "First Missions" rules, I noticed that phasers and photon torpedoes are disabled by "a single point of damage." However, it says that disruptors are "disabled by one 'Torpedo' hit."

I realize that "First Missions" has a very simplified damage allocation scheme, but how does it work in the real game? How are photon hits allocated differently from phaser or disruptor hits?

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you roll on the damage allocation table, one of the entries is 'Torpedo'. For damage allocation purposes, Disruptors are Torpedoes (just like Photon torpedoes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ames
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it! The text is a clarification to explain how to handle the fact that disruptors aren't on the damage allocation chart.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
Australia
Enmore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With First Missions they wanted to give us enough for a taste but not the depth to continue satisfactory play without purchase, BUT still mention the deeper rules so it's not disregarded as too lightweight a game to bother with buying. This balancing act (like my opening sentence) can lead to confusion for novices, particularly as the authors have at times confused themselves. First Missions doesn't include any damage allocation other than "the owner of the target ship simply marks the damage points on any non-shield box he wants to", to encourage purchase of the system we're told "In Federation Commander: Klingon Border there is a simple procedure for this involving die rolls and a chart".
That phasers and photon torpedoes are disabled by "a single point of damage" is correct and should apply also to Disruptors in First Missions. The mention that disruptors are "disabled by one 'Torpedo' hit" has accidentally leaked in from the full rules which would use the Torpedo hit for Photons and Plasmas and Fusions and basically any regular heavy weapon, while the Phasers of course succumb to 'Phaser' hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the Damage Allocation Chart for FedCom, but I wish there were 11 columns for a two dice (2-12) roll with the results on the far ends (2, 3, 11, 12) being more heavy with torpedo and bridge hits than the columns that are more probable to be rolled.

When a lot of damage gets inflicted in SFB, that really screeches the brakes on the game play. Friends have used various house rules to streamline the damage allocation. One memorable one was when resolving damage, roll the first hit on the DAC and apply that hit to the target ship, and then the owning player of the target ship selects the next nine hits as he chooses. The 11th hit is rolled for and then the next nine are selected, and so on. This resolves ten hits fairly quickly. If doubles are rolled for the hit, apply an extra hit to the target ship's frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
For full Federation Commander (not First Missions) I've played my last several games using these Fast Play Federation Commander variant rules...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/882468/fast-play-federation-...

They greatly speed play and in some ways give a better feel for the theme IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
For full Federation Commander (not First Missions) I've played my last several games using these Fast Play Federation Commander variant rules...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/882468/fast-play-federation-...

They greatly speed play and in some ways give a better feel for the theme IMHO.

Interesting!
Gotta try that jazz out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.