BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Funny Train Card Game help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone,
I just found Funny Train, a card game by International Card games (1983), in a forgotten drawer at my grandparent's house. I have all cards except the instructions and unless I'm missing something, internet searches are not helping. Can anyone post directions for how to play? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing on the game page:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19542/funny-train-car...

Your best hope is probably to geekmail the 4 people listed as owning it, and see if any can help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I've not found the rules (yet) but, I did find this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/110268531/1983-complete-funny-tr...

Which identifies the goal as being "to make a complete train by drawing and discarding cards". So now we just need to find the turn order, and set-up instruction.

EDIT: I think the back of the deck box covers the finer points of play. It also reminds me a lot of Chaos Marauders in the way you build "ranks".

EDIT EDIT: Further investigation has revealed that the instructions were on two cards in the box. Disregard that. It's old news.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: The instruction cards are included in one of the Geek Images uploaded on it's entry. Unfortunately, they're as blurry as hell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartomancer wrote:
EDIT EDIT: Further investigation has revealed that the instructions were on two cards in the box.
It says that on the game page on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Cartomancer wrote:
EDIT EDIT: Further investigation has revealed that the instructions were on two cards in the box.
It says that on the game page on here.

Yeah, that was one of the last places I actually looked as you'd already discounted it. So, that "update" can pretty much be disregarded. Although it does give other folks on the hunt an idea of what they're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the box - so that's where I'm stumped as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
salparadice1 wrote:
I have the box - so that's where I'm stumped as well.

At this point I think your best bet is as previously suggested, and track down someone who already owns the game on here and ask if they'd be nice enough to upload the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take a crack at reading the instructions in that image.

Quote:

Funny Train Card Game
Playing Instructions
Ages: 4-7. Players: 2-4
Number of cards: 34 plus instructions
Engine - 5 Monkey - 5
Caboose - 5 Lion - 5
Elephant - 5 Wild Card - 4
Giraffe - 5

Object of the game: To make a Funny Train of Six Cards having an engine, a caboose and four different animals

Wild Card: The Wild Card can be used as any animal (not an engine or caboose). You may use only one Wild Card in a train.

Let's get ready:
1. After shuffling the cards, each player picks one card. The first player to choose an engine is the dealer.

2. The dealer shuffles the cards and deals five cards, face down (picture side down) to each player. The rest of the cards are stacked, face down, and are the draw pile.

3. Turn over the card at the top of the draw pile and place it, face up, next to the draw pile. This is the discard pile.

Let's play:
To begin to make a Train, a player must first collect an engine and a caboose.

1. The player to the dealer's left is the first to try. He picks a card from the draw pile or the discard pile.

2. If he has an engine and a caboose, he places them on the table, face up. His turn is then over.

3. If the player does not have both an engine and a caboose in his hand and does not pick one, he discards one card into the discard pile. You cannot add animals to the train until the engine and caboose are in place.

4. The player to the left takes a turn next.

5. After a player has laid down an engine and caboose, he begins to add animals to his train (on his next turn)

6. If after drawing a card from the draw pile or discard pile, a player has any animals to add to the train, he places the card(s) on the table, next to the engine, caboose and any other animals already on board. Play proceeds to the next player.

It looks like there should be more instructions on the back of the red instruction card, but it looks like you have enough to play. I'm sure it doesn't get much more complicated than what I've transcribed, and you can probably just fill in the holes (i.e., when a player places his fourth animal, he wins the game; if he doesn't have any animals in his hand that aren't in the train, he discards to end his turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought about zooming on that card. Thanks so much for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.