Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: When is Plant 50 ever available? (Answer: All 6 plants are 'current' in Step 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game a few times now and really enjoying it, but does the 50 power plant ever come into play? If you arrange the plants from lowest to highest, how does the 50 ever come into the current market, unless it is one of the last 4 plants? I feel I'm overlooking something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: maybe i'm overlooking something
During Phase 3 of the game, you can bid on any of the available power plants in the auction slots, not just the top row. So if 50 shows up then it will be availabe to bid on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In phases 1 and 2 there is a current and a future market, so it is impossible to by plant nr 50. But in phase 3 all 6 face up power plants are available. Before phase 3 all the power plants are shuffled and every plant, which comes into play, is available to be bought. So it is possible to by this power plant in phase 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
During Phase 3 of the game, you can bid on any of the available power plants in the auction slots, not just the top row. So if 50 shows up then it will be availabe to bid on.

Argh, don't know how I missed that rule. Thanks!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find Power Grid FAQ helpful for finding other frequently overlooked rules which you might be overlooking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The top four plants (50, 46, 44, 42) cannot enter the current market until Step 3 (Well, OK, the top 3 in the extremely unlikely event that the final four cards in the stack, above the Step 3 card, are 42-44-46-50).

For every "top plant" that gets flipped under the deck, one fewer high plant can come out until Step 3. For example, if the 42 gets flipped, the 40 will no longer ever be able to enter the current market until Step 3 (as the highest plants would become 40-44-46-50 and nothing could push them up).

You'll almost never see anything higher than the #36 hit the current market until Step 3; most of the time the Step 1-2 current market seems to top out around 31/32.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Argh, don't know how I missed that rule.

We've all said that at one time or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.