Subject: Cool Treasure variant that ONLY works with the Kickstarter edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, this variant will make kickstarter backers like me real happy.

I got the idea after dipping my hand repeatedly into the treasure chest AKA storage box AKA mimic (with industrial tape pasted on the hinge) to draw treasure tokens. Whether you're playing the basic rules or with variant rules, this idea can be applied to any game.

The "You-Might-Want-To-Be-Careful-Putting-Your-Hand-In-There" variant rule

Whenever you would draw a Treasure Token due to opening a Treasure Chest, the Dungeon player rolls a spare dungeon die. If the result is a Dragon icon, the treasure chest turns out to be a Mimic in disguise. Pull away your hand with a horrified look on your face accompanied by some suitable expletive. You do NOT get to draw a Treasure Token. Check for each Treasure Chest separately.

That's it! The game becomes a lot more fun, especially if you're not the active player.

Now for those with the regular run-of-the-mill edition, you may wonder why you can't play this variant with your grudgingly admittedly better-looking storage box?

After much play-testing, I'm sorry to say that it just doesn't work. You will look ridiculously silly being afraid of what is obviously just a vanilla treasure chest. Upon rolling a Dragon icon, the table doesn't even erupt in howling laughter. It's just too much to expect anybody to imagine that such a mundane-looking treasure chest can be a mimic.

So yeah, just turn mimic-green in envy at us kickstarter edition owners being able to play with such an awesome variant. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer my mimic's round house kicking me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's just too much to expect anybody to imagine that such a mundane-looking treasure chest can be a mimic.

This is exactly what the mimics want you to think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
I ll add to your variant something extra:

If it is a mimic, roll a dungeon dice until a monster appears. The player must assign a hero to the monster to end the level or fall to the mimic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:
It's just too much to expect anybody to imagine that such a mundane-looking treasure chest can be a mimic.

This is exactly what the mimics want you to think.

Playtesting reveals that it's not about what the mimic thinks, it's all about what WE think as players. Vanilla edition just doesn't make it, trust me on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willdesigns wrote:
I ll add to your variant something extra:

If it is a mimic, roll a dungeon dice until a monster appears. The player must assign a hero to the monster to end the level or fall to the mimic.

Either that or make it a single 2nd roll, and if a monster (non-dragon) is rolled, the player has to discard a treasure token. Double whammy! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.