Subject: Orleans Game Group - Thursday, October 3rd 2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
The next session of the Orleans Game Group will be held on Thursday October 3rd, 2013!...

Bring your new games, or knock the dust off of some of your old ones!

We usually start just after 6:30 and go 'til about 10:00pm.

The address is: The Canadian Legion, Branch 632 - Orleans, 800 Taylor Creek Road.

We meet upstairs. There is a bar and snacks and now hot food is also sometimes available so please don't bring in something from outside.

You should also bring $2.00 as a donation for the Legion.

Also. please thumb up this post to move it to the boardgamegeek front page to attract more gamers and tell your friends to come out and play!

Please note that hats are not allowed in the Legion and that one must dress and act respectfully.

You can see our schedule as well as other local gamers nights via the Ottawa Area Gamers Guild's Calendar on BGG - click here -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

We are also listed on the Ottawa Geek Social Club! http://www.meetup.com/ottawa-geek-social-club/events/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will be there. Won't ask anyone to play anything too mentally taxing this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karine Jolicoeur
Canada
flag msg tools
I should be there as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Planning on coming this week as well.

Still haven't gotten that second play of ra in so that remains on my short list.

I'll probably bring puerto rico out again in case people feel the urge to grow and ship corn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Cameron and I likely won't make it - we're both a bit under the weather

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
Canada
Pointe-Claire
QC
flag msg tools
Good games tonight! I'll leave the reporting to our regular reporters, but I wanted to pass along to the Ra players that the reason there were three red/bird/Ra tiles in the bag at the end was because round 1 ended with Darcy spending his last coin on a compete slate of tiles and leaving two Ra tiles unplaced.

Mystery solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The table i was at started with a 7 player game of Lost Temple. I think most of us enjoyed the game except for the down time each turn as we waited for the roles to be drafted. This would be less of an issue for people familiar with the game, but it was the first time for all seven of us. There was also one bad rule interpretation on my part whereby Martin was pnalized for a turn or two, but in the end he still managed a victory. I don't think James enjoyed the game very much...we had to wake him up to take his actions every turn. ;

Next up was Dice Town. We changed up some people to have a full roster of 5 for this. Not much to say about it other than it's a fun game and Colin took the win.

Lastly, we dropped to 4 at my table (was i driving people away?) and played Sleuth. It's kinda like Clue without the board and dice rolling movement. Well..it's a pure deduction game. I think once we figured out how to use the investigation cards, it played well. I liked it. Danny solved the case of the missing gem. Justin claimed he was about too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can fill in most of the blanks as I was not at "Jason's Clown Table", although the ear-splitting cacaphony of dice clattering was close enough that I was haunted by it all night.

At the skill table we started of with a game of Ra - participants were myself, Colin, Don, Bob, and Stephen. We learned that Bob's mantra in ra is "just say no to value" and that the puppet strings are everywhere. After clinging to his 16 point token like it was his firstborn child, Stephen managed to eke out a victory in the dying moments of the last round - scores were 45 - 40 - 38 - something low - something lower.

After that we mixed the tables up and settled down to a game of race for the galaxy - myself, Rick, Bob, and James. Rick and James struggled to get their military strength high enough to play the big military cards, and whiffed on all the produce/consume cycles going by. I don't know what Bob was doing, except usually not what I wanted him to :p. First turn of the game: "if you're not sure what to do just pick explore"... "reveal"... explore (rick)... explore (bob)... explore (james)... produce (mine). In the end my production of luxury goods was off the charts and I wheeled in with 70 points - all others were 30 or lower. But apparently you can win this game by just playing random cards and there's no skill/strategy (cough Jamie) :p

Two good games and a good time was had by all!

The 3rd table "post-ra" seemed to be playing forbidden desert and then skulls and roses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don d00n
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

It was the first time out for me and had a lot of fun. I'll try to come out more than once a year. :-)

Forbidden Desert was really interesting. But then again, I felt the same way about Pandemic initially. I do like the roles and the management of the various win/lose conditions. My stingy item management resulted in me running out of water, thus dooming the team.

After that, we also played a game of For Sale, which we all enjoyed and agreed was a good game to play with casuals.

I apologize for my poor explanation of Skulls and Roses but I still think fun was had. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JiveCherry wrote:
Good games tonight! I'll leave the reporting to our regular reporters, but I wanted to pass along to the Ra players that the reason there were three red/bird/Ra tiles in the bag at the end was because round 1 ended with Darcy spending his last coin on a compete slate of tiles and leaving two Ra tiles unplaced.

Mystery solved!

Nice. That makes perfect sense and I hadn't even thought about that while we were playing. What a game! I could easily play Ra every week.

As for table number three.
Martin, Don and I went for a trek across the Forbidden Desert but our Meteorologist, Navigator and Explorer did not survive.

Colin then joined us for a game of For Sale. I have read much about this game and was eager to give it a shot as it is quite well regarded as a quick play auction game. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I'd have to take a few more stabs at it before having any real opinion.

The night rounded out with the absurd coaster-flipping bluff game Skull. I also do not know how I felt about this one. I am somewhat baffled by the randomness of the game insofar as challenging is done with virtually no actual information other than what "tells" the other players might have. It is very pretty and the overall presentation is rad.

Another great night ... can't wait for next Thursday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d00n wrote:
Hey all, It was the first time out for me and had a lot of fun. I'll try to come out more than once a year. :-)

That sounds like and EXCELLENT idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.