Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard these both use a lot of the same mechanics.

What are the differences?

Is there any reason to get both?

Should I just get the newer one?

Which do you prefer? Why?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both plenty of times. I prefer Macao and would recommend it to you based on your game ratings, which indicate you're not particularly worried about game complexity.

You can certainly get both. To me, they're different enough that I would always choose Macao over CoB.

Short version:
Macao's start game and per-round prep are much quicker than CoB.
Macao's board is common to all players. It's the city tile and card distribution that changes. CoB offers different board setups for each player.
The only interaction for CoB is what tiles you leave behind for others. In Macao, it's what cards you leave behind, blocking routes with city tile pulls, and grabbing prime shipping deliveries first.
CoB only offers a mild version of Feld's typical punishment mechanics -- you only lose tiles on overflow. Macao has punishments for card overflow, empty rondel slot, and wall position (later card selection).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have and enjoy both. IMO, they scratch different itches. The previous poster summed up the differences well. I would add that Macao requires thinking ahead more. Castles of Burgundy is definitely more forgiving (no real punishment mechanics, dice modifiers). For me, there's a sense of satisfaction in seeing your board fill up. I have CoB as my personal #9 and Macao as #10, but I'm really hard pressed to choose between them. It's like asking me to choose my favorite kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the opinions I would think Macao would be higher rating-wise which does not hold true (Macao-122 CoB-12). Why do you think that is (besides the obvious "people like diffentent games")?

Sorry but I don't have anything else to add to the conversation since I only ever played Macao.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao is a lot more punishing and stressful as the earlier post noted here. It plays a bit faster than Castles of Burgundy as well I find. Castles of Burgundy is challenging but more laid back than Macao in its player interaction. So if you like something more "edgy" I'd go with Macao. If you like something more "peaceful" I'd go with Castles of Burgundy. I like both of these games; it just depends what kind of night it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:
Based on the opinions I would think Macao would be higher rating-wise which does not hold true (Macao-122 CoB-12). Why do you think that is (besides the obvious "people like diffentent games")?

Sorry but I don't have anything else to add to the conversation since I only ever played Macao.

Interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got introduced to Macao at the Atlanta Game Fest in Jan 2012. Absolutely hated it - it made no sense to me whatsoever. Mechanics seemed utterly disconnected, and the board was less than helpful. (Note: this was my first Feld game, and I'm an old AH gamer who is very comfortable with both dice and conflict.)

Got introduced to CoB at the AGF in Jan 2013, by the same person who taught me Macao. It made much more sense. The mechanisms seemed clearer, the board was more helpful; just a friendlier game. Maybe it was just that it was more of a map (even if it wasn't western Russia) I bought a copy, because it seemed more likely that I could persuade my group to play it.

YMMV of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:

Castles of Burgundy is accessible to anyone: gamers, non-gamers, families. Macao is more liked by real gamers. I have both and have played both many many times. I agree with the first poster (rumble). He explained the differences very well. Castles of Burgundy is newer and benefited from the current Feld mania.

If someone wanted to buy only one of these two, if he were a real gamer I'd recommend Macao.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, a big THANK YOU to everyone who chimed in.

I'm thinking I'll go with Castles of Burgundy because it is a little more forgiving and accessible to non-gamers (always trying to get my muggle family to play).

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of people above pointed out the differences, but I just wanted to make a very strong note that they really don't share very many mechanics, and they are really VERY different games. I own both, and while I prefer Macao, I acknowledge that Castles is a well designed game as well.

They're both obviously Feld euros, but the mechanics themselves are quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panayiotis Zois
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Great, a big THANK YOU to everyone who chimed in.

I'm thinking I'll go with Castles of Burgundy because it is a little more forgiving and accessible to non-gamers (always trying to get my muggle family to play).

Thanks again.
Excellent choice! Not that Macao is not a very good game but Castles of Burgundy is more widely accepted! Maybe later on you should check on Trajan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.