Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have some suggestions as to a source for pre-painted minis that can be used for this system?

I'd like to give it a try, but don't have the time to assemble/paint all the pieces.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is finding someone with painted miniatures looking to sell them. The variety of bugs would be difficult to find in just about any line, so you're looking at using proxies that may or may not make "sense" visually.

I've been looking to unload my entire set of miniatures, half of which are painted, but you can also look on e-bay for other painted miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when the movie first came out, Galoob made great bugs, each of which came with a couple of little troopers (scaled a little smaller than the miniatures game guys, but also "light" troopers as in the movie, not the up-armored guys from the animated series as in the boxed miniatures game).

The bugs were pre-colored. The standard "bug" was almost exactly the same size as those in the game. They came in both "healthy" and "wounded" forms, colored as in the movie. Galoob also made tankers (in two sizes), hoppers, plasma bugs, and brain bugs, and there were also little chariot bugs (the kind that moved the brain bugs), though these were hard to find.

There were also fighters and drop ships made by Galoob. I bought up a bunch of this stuff when it was being clearance in toy stores. They work just fine with the minis game.

Sometimes you can find Galoob toys for sale on ebay. Hasborg bought out Galoob so they'll probably never appear again, but at least you now know to look for Galoob Starship Troopers toys when you search online.

By the way, Galoob also made a fabulous "Aliens" drop ship and an APC in a boxed line (also the lifeboat from the "Nostromo" from the original movie), and a smaller APC (that fits in the drop ship) and some other "Aliens" stuff in the blister-card line. These came out only a short time before Hasbro bought Galoob and didn't have wide distribution--I stumbled on mine in an Ollie's Outlet years ago. Sheer luck.

Galoob made wonderful stuff. I miss them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Your best bet is finding someone with painted miniatures looking to sell them. The variety of bugs would be difficult to find in just about any line, so you're looking at using proxies that may or may not make "sense" visually.

I've been looking to unload my entire set of miniatures, half of which are painted, but you can also look on e-bay for other painted miniatures.

GM what you have and what you are asking for the painted minis and we can chat more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtgjudge wrote:
Does anyone have some suggestions as to a source for pre-painted minis that can be used for this system?

I'd like to give it a try, but don't have the time to assemble/paint all the pieces.

Thanks in advance!

That would be eBay. I've gotten most of my painted miniatures from eBay.

It won't be inexpensive though.

Galoob Micro Machines is a nice choice, if you want to play in 15mm, but it doesn't compare to 25mm painted.

PS: If anyone is looking to sell painted ST miniatures, I'm always looking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for something outside the Starship Troopers IP as a cheaper alternative. I am sure there are lots of "space marines" to be had out there that are not out of production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:

Galoob Micro Machines is a nice choice, if you want to play in 15mm, but it doesn't compare to 25mm painted.

So the Galoob products are not scaled to 28mm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtgjudge wrote:
I was looking for something outside the Starship Troopers IP as a cheaper alternative. I am sure there are lots of "space marines" to be had out there that are not out of production.

It's not the "IP" that's the expensive part - it's the "pre-painted".

Are you really sure?

Cause pre-painted miniatures is my hobby and I haven't found ANYTHING pre-painted that can be called "cheap".

Even Star Wars Stormtroopers are pretty expensive and that's about the closest thing I can think of. Despite the fact that they are plentiful.

Of course, I'd LOVE to be wrong and if you find anything close please share it.

That said, Games Workshop Space Marines that have been painted are definitely going to be cheaper on eBay than Starship Troopers figures will be -- simply because there are a LOT more of them out there.

Oh! I DID find "HaloClix" figures for about $1.50 each which might be another way to go. I didn't need them because I have painted Starship Troopers figures (eBay and pay-to-paint friends). There are 25mm.

Halo also did a "MicroOps" line that produced nice Starship Trooper like figures, but they only come about 2 or 3 to a playset (I bought the playsets to use with....Starship Troopers of course). But these are 15mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtgjudge wrote:
So the Galoob products are not scaled to 28mm?

Nope, definitely more towards 15mm. I'll try to post some pictures of them side by side, but my pictures don't often get approved because...I have an iPhone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:

Oh! I DID find "HaloClix" figures for about $1.50 each which might be another way to go. I didn't need them because I have painted Starship Troopers figures (eBay and pay-to-paint friends). There are 25mm.

Looks like you answered your own question to me.

I'm looking for more sources like this to use instead of the unpainted metal minis belonging to the ST IP. Thanks for the tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtgjudge wrote:
cauldronofevil wrote:

Looks like you answered your own question to me.

I'm looking for more sources like this to use instead of the unpainted metal minis belonging to the ST IP. Thanks for the tips!

LOL! Yeah, good luck with that. I found them in the downtown Los Angeles Toy District in a little Asian swap meet type store.

And then next time I went there they were gone!

Now the HALO line is VERY old and they weren't very successful.

So I think of these as a fluke more than an answer. And what are you going to do for bugs?

But eBay is your friend!

Item 1: I did put up some pictures to compare the scale of miniatures: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1789744/starship-troopers-min...

Item 2: I ran across a really interesting article on painted miniatures (I told you that it was my hobby!) and why we can't get them cheaply: http://www.rpgmusings.com/2010/08/a-mini-conundrum-for-wotc/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.