BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommend me a storytelling game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelė
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you recommend me a storytelling game which would be good with three players? I am mainly looking for that type of game, where one person would be a storyteller and others would follow that story, but I am open to other kind of storytelling games, too.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've never played it myself, but this is the first thing that came to mind.

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game
Once Upon A Time is a game in which the players create a story together, using cards that show typical elements from fairy tales. One player is the Storyteller and creates a story using the ingredients on her cards. She tries to guide the plot towards her own ending. The other players try to use cards to interrupt her and become the new Storyteller. The winner is the first player to play out all her cards and end with her Happy Ever After card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, not sure I know of something that exactly fits your requirements. The closest two I know:

Rory's Story Cubes (and their family) - roll dice, see symbols, make a story out of them. You can play this interactively or as I-go-you-go, roll one random die at a time or all of them together.

Aye, Dark Overlord! The Red Box - one player is the overlord, and the others are goblin servants. There was a major screwup in some secret plan of the Overlord, and it's all the goblins' fault, but each goblin wants to save their own skin and make the Overlord think that it was everybody else's fault. All with story cards that the goblins have to talk their way out of. Has a bit of a gamemaster-with-players RPG feel to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of Arabian Nights is a good storytelling game in which people rotate being the story teller. Basically you make some choices, have the story read aloud to you by those choices and choose what to do in the given situation. The game plays out like a multiplayer choose your own adventure type thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Dark Cults is one of the better ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Android
Ace Detective
Winter Tales
Agents of SMERSH
A Study in Emerald
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add Ace Detective and Gloom to the games already suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, it is a lot of fun and there are several expansions available if you wish to add more elements to your story. I've played this with the designers, and it was great fun. I think that Gloom is a little too limited, after a few plays you tend to use the same basic story line since you are always playing with the same sets of characters and events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dannydeuce wrote:
Tales of Arabian Nights is a good storytelling game in which people rotate being the story teller. Basically you make some choices, have the story read aloud to you by those choices and choose what to do in the given situation. The game plays out like a multiplayer choose your own adventure type thing.

+1 In addition, this one can be hard to obtain. Coolstuff Inc. had this one in stock earlier this week. A fellow BGG'er posted the news of the restock and they pretty much sold out within 6 hours of the post. Our game group just played this one last night and it is a great light story telling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabula

Another nice storytelling game from the makers of Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Useful review of Winters Tale here, and Once Upon a Time.

In an earlier edition they did Tales of the Arabian Nights too.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Fiasco. It's closer to an rpg I guess but great for telling stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Castaways has some fun storytelling elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You are in luck! Quest: A Time of Heroes, a pretty decent storytelling game is on sale at minaiture market http://www.miniaturemarket.com/zmg4076.html

It probably let a lot of people down at first, but at that price, and for players that are perhaps new to the genre, it is perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Griffin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Fallen on Kickstarter caught enough of my interest to back it. Unfortunately, the release date got pushed to 2014.

+1 for Tales of the Arabian Nights.

If my game group played Gloom like it was done on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Mice & Mystics has been in my wishlist for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Park
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Mice and Mystics and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.
Both story driven and fun.
If you don't fall asleep or feel a little dozy after reading lots, for a while, Sherlock.
If you do and you like minis and dice rolling based on story, M&M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't personally add anything, but there are episodes of Tabletop for some of the games suggested (http://tabletop.geekandsundry.com/):

Gloom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0artLwe87I4&feature=player_em...

Fiasco http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WXJxQ... and http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Aj7Nc...

Once Upon a Time http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1vbA7...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
I would say Fiasco. It's closer to an rpg I guess but great for telling stories.

This +1000

Krawhitham wrote:

This made get Fiasco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics for a light short one
Android for a heavy and long one
Castaways for a very good one, with some interesting mechanics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelė
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all these recommendations! I will be definitely checking them all and maybe I'll be able to find the exact game I am looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deviser wrote:
Thanks a lot for all these recommendations! I will be definitely checking them all and maybe I'll be able to find the exact game I am looking for

Tell us what you've chosen, in the end
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call either Tales of the Arabian Nights or Mice and Mystics storytelling games, unless you lack any imagination. Tales of the Arabian Nights is just a choose your own adventure and Mice and Mystics is light dungeon crawler with a story book.

Once Upon a Time and Fiasco actually require some imagination and storytelling from the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.