Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Setup strategy with given ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
So I'm planning on running some games with the ships I have and was wondering on a 100 point scale what the best overall setup is in your opinion(s), (Pilots, upgrades etc.) Then if able, what is the most power balanced setup if different, (another point scale more appropriate?) I'm getting more ships soon but this is what I have to work with right now...

Available ships:

Empire:
2x Tie regulars
1x Tie bomber

Rebels:
1x X-wing
1x B-wing
1x A-wing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we assume that the TIEs and X-Wing are from the core set and not from the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Empire, you do not have enough to field 100 points. If you put a lot of stuff on your bomber, it is worth 54 - 56 points depending on selected elite pilot talent.

Expensive Ties are about 17-20 points.

You can, of course, build a squad with >90 points, but the bomber will die before he can make use of all missiles, torpedoes and the bomb, so the squad will not be competitive.

You should just start playing. Build some squads of, maybe, 60 points and see what you like. Then buy something more for the Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Nixon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
For the Empire, you do not have enough to field 100 points. If you put a lot of stuff on your bomber, it is worth 54 - 56 points depending on selected elite pilot talent.

Expensive Ties are about 17-20 points.

You can, of course, build a squad with >90 points, but the bomber will die before he can make use of all missiles, torpedoes and the bomb, so the squad will not be competitive.

You should just start playing. Build some squads of, maybe, 60 points and see what you like. Then buy something more for the Empire.

looks like u can play maybe 75pt squads until u get more bombers and stuff. one bomber on his own will die. fast. even gettinga tie-advanced woould give u more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
you need at least 1 more core set. 2 TIE's and X-wing will allow you to go to 100 points plus the etra dice and tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Benjamin
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A second Core Set would be the wisest addition to your collection, due to the Wave 1 expansions being very hard to find right now. However, a TIE Interceptor would help your Empire fleet and they are readily available. (Amazon, CoolStuffInc., etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Yes, the Tie and Xwing are core set. I'm looking at starting out doing some games on lunch break at work with a friend running 1-2 ships head to head. Any way with these ships I can run a balanced field? (aside from the obvious core setup?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Jung
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend trying a smaller game with the number of ships you have. Try 50-70 points and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerRollzGames wrote:
Yes, the Tie and Xwing are core set. I'm looking at starting out doing some games on lunch break at work with a friend running 1-2 ships head to head. Any way with these ships I can run a balanced field? (aside from the obvious core setup?)

Sure! If you're excluding large ships, then I think that 60 pt games can be fairly balanced and increases the likelihood that you'll finish within your lunch break (a 100 pt game can take a while sometimes). Put together any 2 60 pt squads that you want and have fun! (You could also consider shrinking your play area from 3'x3' to something smaller. And don't forget to use asteroids! That'll eliminate the problems associated with "shoot; k-turn; shoot; k-turn,repeat")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Cronje
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I agree with everyone here that it might be better to stick with, say 75 points until you get more ships, I think it is possible to make a usable Rebel list using those three ships.

A potential list could look like this:

X-wing (35):
Luke (28) + R2-D2 (4) + Marksmanship (3)

B-wing (31):
Blue Squadron Pilot (22) + Fire Control System (2) + Ion Cannon (3) + Proton Torpedoes (4)

A-wing (34):
Tycho Celchu (26) + Homing Missiles (5) + Push the Limits (3)

This only uses cards from the core set and the A/B expansions. In theory, the threats are spread out so that one pilot is not the obvious target and should pack a decent punch. Of course, this is completely untested and may well get smashed to pieces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad. Perhaps move the torp to Luke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.