Tulkas Valar
msg tools
Greetings!

Yesterday was the second time me and my friends played this game; the first time last Sunday was a disaster since one of them plays a lot and thought us wrong rules, so I got the rulebook on Monday and studied it until my eyes bled.

Anyway, it was a 6 player game with random houses, and it ended up like this:

Me: Greyjoy. I'm the only one who reads this forum, so I studied a lot of possibilities for all the houses, pros and cons, cards mechanics, etc. I wanted to play Greyjoy for the pure pleasure of destroying Stark or Lannister early, so I got lucky.

Lannister: A stubborn fellow, that every time you explain the rules that goes against him, he gets mad and asks to show in the rulebook. More reason for his doom.

Stark: A great friend, but still a little slow in terms of strategy, which changed greatly during this game.

Baratheon: Stark's wife, and a very noob player. It's really sad to have one that can't offer threat.

Martell: Lannister's wife, although she doesn't help her husband in anyway if it doesn't favor her first.

Tyrell: The guy that plays the game with his friends, so knew more about the rules and thought us wrong, but this time I was the on teaching the rules, so it was fine.

Early Game(until round 3)

I didn't want to ally with no one in this game, just wanted to wreak havoc, so I said nothing at first. But then, Lannister asked for an alliance and I accepted, eager to jump on Stark's throat, who said nothing about alliance. I "gave" him Riverrun and everything south of that, and I wanted everything north the river.

After that, Tyrell and Martell allied themselves and decided to go up the map, and then Baratheon joined them, so Stark joined us and destroyed my plans.

It's good to note that last week it was the same thing, the same 3 houses allied with each other, and this is what I didn't want again, since NO ONE backstabbed their allies and the game had almost no action, and some houses got very weak for not trading positions on the map.

Mid Game (3° to 6° round)

I kept my promisse and stayed up the river, and when I went to Crackclaw Pont, I explained that I couldn't go against Stark now and that the only way for me to help was going that way. The lion bought it.

Lannister was busy fighting Tyrell south and didn't take some castles, like Harrenhal, and since Baratheon was weak, Stark marched through Dragonstone's gate and eliminated all her(his wife) forces.

At that point, I had Seaguard, Flint's, Ironman's, Crackclaw, Harrenhal, and had my troops positioned to take a Moat Calin guarded by one FM, and to take Riverrun with the troops at Harrenhal. I got very excited and took Moat Calin, sured that was going to take the game on my next turn... when I noticed that Lannister had 2 supports around Riverrun, and I had to wait for one more turn, and I knew hell was going to break loose.

End Game (Turn 7 to 10)

Everyone jumped on me, only Martell was too far for that. She was naive, I told her to take Dragonstone from Stark since he was attacking me non-stop, but she didn't listen. Tyrell was hitting my ships every round, but I always had Balon or Victarion so I could hold with only 1 ship, and since I was fighting all the time, my cards came back to me a lot, so I could hold my own.

Stark took Moat Calin and only defended there, but I saw an opportunity to attack the Bay of Ice and take Winterfell on the same round, and I did, destroying some of this troops. At that time, Stark became stark, and almost gave up, but then they remembered that south of the map, there was a lot of castles that could be his, or Martell's.

The last round was a test for the weak of heart. I had 5 castles, Stark had 6 and Martell had 6.
Lannister attacked Martell at King's Landing and won, but he used Tyrion and she had used Arianne, and instead of leaving like that, he changed her card, so she traded Arianne for Red Viper and won KL.

I took Flint's Finger back from a Stark attack that happened in the 7th round, before I took winterfell. So me, Stark and Martell had 6 castles.

The last march order was Stark, and we knew he was going for Storms End for his last castle. I knew he had the game, what I didn't remember is that Martell kept Arianne Martell card, and she announced it before Stark's attack. She would lose, and Stark thought he could win because he had more suplies than me, but I had one more Stronghold than him and won!

FREAKING JESUS MARY AND JOSEPH!
Fate gave me a second chance after I didn't watch for those Lannister's supports that almost cost me the game. My second game, and my first win. Even if I lost, the game was great, and it became awesome after I stabbed Stark. So that's my tip for you guys, hahaha.

I have one question: This game took 7 hours and 30 minutes, it would have been 5h if I took Riverrun at Round 6. Is this too long? Are we playing too slow? Time flies when we play, so it's fine for us, but it's almost impossible to play during the week since we go to work.

Cheers! And thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...always a sliver of hope.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing.

If you are playing with noobs - with queries and explanations, checking the rules, and people not playing up then 8 hours is possible.

Even now I try not to introduce too many new people to a single game.

Edit : for typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first 6P game, with 6 new players, took about 4 hours. 8 hours seems ridiculous to me. We played with a 5 minute timer for all planning phases. It seemed to work well, prevented serious AP, and made it a better time for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Our first 6P game, with 6 new players, took about 4 hours. 8 hours seems ridiculous to me. We played with a 5 minute timer for all planning phases. It seemed to work well, prevented serious AP, and made it a better time for everyone.

And this was with 1 player having AP for the first half of the game because he had a third more units than everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Benefiel
msg tools
That time limit sounds reasonable to me with my own experience and that of a friend who also owns the game. Only the most live/breathe the rules grognards will complete a 6 player game in the FFG recommended 3 hours. My first game, with 4 players, was called early on turn 5 after 3 1/2 hours because people had to get up for work. My second game, with only 3 players, went 4 1/2 hours to a sudden death 7 castle victory at the beginning of turn 10. I don't recommend shot clocks in games because it's the best way to make people not want to play ever again if they are new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tulkas Valar
msg tools
The 5 minutes timer seems reasonable, I'll try that and see if it works, but as Jeff said, it might make people stop playing as we played the game 2 times now.

As for our 8 hour game, I got to say that we stopped to eat two times at least, so you can lower the amount of used hours in-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5-minute timer worked well for our group because our group is more of a grip-it-and-rip-it kind of crowd. But I can see it being a downer for other groups. I believe our timer was the TV show theme song, which added to the mood. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.