Red White & Blue Racin' Stock Car Action Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Aarons 499 Replay and Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Reka
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received this game yesterday and decided to do my first run with the default 2000's Stars set that comes with the game and run my first game at Talladega...

Went through the qualifying process (this is one of the very few places in the rules where there was not several examples of the mechanics so it took me a couple read through of the process to get it right). I ended up with 7 drivers on my TV list. My top 6 qualifying were Stewart, Biffle, McMurry, Johnson, Montoya, Hamlin.

First 3 turns result in shuffling drivers in the Middle and Bottom groups, bringing Dale Sr., J. Gordon, Kyle Busch, and Ryan Newman up into the Middle group.
Turn 4 Trouble drops 6 cars to the back of the field including Dale Jr. and Kasey Kahne but everyone can continue.
After caution and the first pit stop, Dale Sr. duels his way past Stewart for the lead.
Turn 10 Trouble involves 13 cars with 4 being knocked out for good ("The Big One" typical of Talladgea).
We go back green after the caution and turns 13-15 bring multiple challenges for the lead but Dale Sr. holds them all off except for a final dual from Montoya, putting JPM in the lead.
The next pit stop and following turns shuffle the middle and bottom groups as things settle down up front.
Turn 22 sees Jeff Gordon duel is way past Montoya for the lead.
Turn 23 has Gordon fending off Montoya, Dale Sr, and Kyle Busch to keep the lead until turn 26 when Newman successfully passes him.
The next 10 turns bring lots of movement in the field while having Newman be challenged only once by Riggs, Gordon, Dale Sr., and Harvick.
The next 2 turns bring lots of action up front as Jarrett passes Newman, Riggs passes Jarrett, Newman passes Riggs, and finally Johnson passes Newman.
After a clutch issue drops Montoya to the back of the field we spend the next 3 turns having Johnson hold off everyone and their brother to stay up front.
Turn 45 brings out another caution with a 9 car wreck that takes all 9 cars out of the race.
After the final pit stop Turn 48 sees Logano lose his engine and is forced out of the race.
Turn 49 sees some serious battling up front as Newman passes Johnson only to be passed by Dale Jr, who in turn gets passed by Gordon.
The final turn has Gordon fending off challenges from Waltrip, Newman, and Dale jr allowing Gordon to hold on for the win in the Aarons 499!

Final top 5: J. Gordon, Dale Jr., Newman, M. Waltrip, Johnson.

Final thoughts on RWBR:
This was a VERY fun and fast paced game, even though it was my first time playing and I was going back and forth in the rules to make sure how certain things worked. By the last 10 turns things went through very quick and with more plays, the entire game will go that much faster where a race could be done in about an hour. RWBR did very will at simulating the back and forth you see in stock car racing without all the overhead of trying to move and account for all 43 cars individually. You see lesser known drivers having a good run (I found myself pulling for Scott Riggs as he moved into the top 5 with about 15 turns to go and he briefly lead before finally fading to 14th) while the more "talented" drivers will regularly work their way up to the front. The rules were put together really well with plenty of examples (except for the one I mentioned above and that really wasn't that big a deal). The forum community while not really big is definitely involved and has some good thoughts on drivers changing from season to season and finances to allow you to create your own racing history. Keith has put together a really good game here and I am definitely going to be checking out more of his work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review Jon.

RWB Racing flies under the radar as may of Keith's games do. Not a lot of sports gamers on BGG.

RWB racing is tons of fun. And exciting. I'm not a big Nascar fan. But if you like gaming, this is a good race game to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, Jon. Kevin Harvick won my first in a very similar fashion. Keith is an exceptional designer. I learned a lot of the intricacies of NASCAR from RW&B Racin', and hockey from Hockey Blast. You should check out HMB (History Maker Baseball) also, as it is not your typical card and dice baseball game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reka
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bob and Ron!

Bob, HMB was actually the next game I was planning to get from Keith as it does look like it's quite fun and not the typical stat accuracy at all cost game that most baseball games are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.