Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello folks. Could you help me with this?

I was playing the OL at 2nd encounter of the "Honor among Thieves" quest, and we came across the relationship between the Skirmish ability and the water spaces.

The monter's card says that the Volucrix Reaver's has to move 3 spaces (not less, I think) and then attack.

My question is: do the water spaces count as 1 space for the purposes of this ability? Or do they count as 2, because the monster has to spend 2 movement points to get there?

We interpreted the text literally, so the monster walked 4 spaces, and then used his Skirmish ability to move across 3 water spaces to attack a hero.

Did we play correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say they move through water without penalty when using skirmish. Like you said, they're not using movement points, they're moving 3 spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure all movement is composed of MPs. Not all movement is a "Move Action," but it all uses MPs. So the reaver effectively has 3 MPs to spend before attacking.

I can't find anything in the FAQs to support that right now, though. If you want an official answer you can always send the question to FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe our group is wrong, but we came to 2 definitions: gain/spend movement points and move up to # spaces.

When you move with MP, it cost 2 MP to enter a water space. If you will interrupt your movement with some action your MP will remains and after that action you may spend rest of them.

When you instructed to move up to some number of spaces, you do not spend MP, you just enter water space and substract 1 from "number of spaces". But if you will interrupt this movement with any action you will lose the rest of "number of spaces".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish: This monster may move up to 3 spaces and then attack.

Pretty straight forward to me. Other actions/skills/abilities/feats grant movement points specifically. If all movement were comprised of movement points, there wouldn't be the need for the company to have worded it in any other way. Based strictly on the way this is worded, the OP has it right.

@ Soddy, As a clarification, technically you can't "interrupt" any action other than a move action. Once anything other than a move action has started to resolve, you must completely finish resolving it before you do anything else. But what Soddy was trying to say is correct. If you opt not to use the spaces granted you by whatever action/skill/ability/feat that granted it to you, you forfeit those by moving onto the next action/skill/ability/feat and is a very important point to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Till Husemann
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mbmb
official answer:
Quote:
is it possible to move through 3 water spaces with the skirmish ability or do you just get 3 movement points and take terrain into account?

The Reaver would be able to move through 3 water spaces; this is not considered to be gaining movement points.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
jkemppainen@fantasyflightgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Recieved the same answer from Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot guys!

I'm glad we played correctly as this rule was discussed a lot during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Move Up To Your Speed
It's important to note that the phrase "Move up to your speed" and "Move X spaces" (or even "Move a number of spaces up to your speed") are actually very different.

The former makes you spend allotted "Move" to enter water, and the latter doesn't. Behold this discussion:

Regarding skills/abilities that allow a figure to "move up to its speed" (such as the skill "Advance") and given that these skills specifically DO NOT grant movement points, how do they interact with spaces that require Movement Points to enter/leave?

Justin Kemppainen wrote:
"Moving up to X Speed" is still subject to normal movement requirements. So, Jain Fairwood, during her Heroic Feat, still would need to spend 2 of the "spaces" moved to enter a water space. It's meant to be similar to a move action in that regard but different in order to fulfill other conditions.

You previously said that the Volucrix Reaver could use its "Skirmish" ability to enter 3 consecutive spaces of water. Your answer above suggests that it would have to stop after the first space. How is skirmish different from abilities like Jain Fairwood's?

Justin Kemppainen wrote:
The difference is in the word "spaces." "Move 3 spaces" is a more tactile, physical command that refers to the individual squares on the board. If Jain Fairwood's Heroic Feat said, "Move a number of spaces equal to double your Speed," then it would ignore things like water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Summer
Germany
flag msg tools
Q: Can the monster use this ability to move without nearby monsters (without the attack) ?

Quote:
Yes, Volucrix Reavers may use Skirmish to move without the attack.

Thanks for playing,
Kara Centell-Dunk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.