Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternative battle rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Loyko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
I like almost everything in this game... excluding battles. All these running around the arena when there is a difference in blue dices makes me really boring. What I suggest as a homerule:
- original rules for work till the first close attack takes place,
- after that gladiators can't move,
- initiative dice are not thrown anymore, gladiators are activated one after another,
- if there is a difference in blue dices, each point of difference allows to make extra attack for the gladiator with highest blue dice value. For example, if 1-st gladiator has 2 blue dice, 2-nd has 4 blue dice, then 2-nd can attack 3 times in a row before 1-st gladiator is activated.
- difference is recalculated only at the start of gladiator's activation. For example, if both gladiators had 3 blue dice and after the attack of 1-st gladiator his opponent loses 1 blue dice, then it doesn't give extra attack till the next activation.

I assume that it will make combats much quicker and without senseless running around arena, which bores players, espessially those 2, who don't take part in the battle.

How do you think, will it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We simply added the rule that if you are within hitting range from your opponent and move away from him....then your opponent gets a free strike at you. That abolishes the kiting strategy and makes the combat much more straightforward (run, collide, and roll dice until one dies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the kitting games, but it is not that bad. Theokoles will be hit 3 times against spartacus if he always loses initiative, unless he is down to 1 speed dice, after that they will be trading back and forth.

I like the additional strategy of how to move etc, but it is true, the fights take a bit longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.