6 Posts

Earth Reborn» Forums » Rules

Subject: engaged after combined order? ..and other Qs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan
msg tools
Hello respected Earthreborninans!
reading the rules intensively again after some looong time, I've found some blank spots, something that I may have been playing wrong for some years in a row.., yet I may have overlooked it.. shake

1.if a character is combined (with another actually 'activated') using OT that was assigned previously within the pause (char. is not 'engaged' afterwards by the definition), is it engaged at the end of activated character activation or not? (for the 'reactivation rule' sake)

2. If a character is combined using any other than 'move' order (that is defined explicitly in this perspective) within opposing character's LOS, does it trigger the duel condition? (and while Activated char. is in no one's LOS)
..kinda rare situations but I couldn't find a solid clue on this in rules..

3. firstly, the shooting is defined as to target: enemy mini, door, wall, floor element. period. page.18.->3
Paragraph about the explosives, at first, mentions that the seequence is the same as the normal shoot is untill 'roll for demage'; but then it says 'targeted square' twice (p.21, paragraph 2&3)
The thing is I used to fire with the explosives so the 'non-targeted' blast area reached 'beyond the corner' to avoid the interuption by some victim char., but now not so sure on that..but if the 'floor element' extends to 'square' why not then..

3.1 Also, in the the smoke cloud, is it 'forbiden' to fire with exp.weapons at all because of the general lack of LOS?

4. is it possible to activate a character that reached its CP limit to perform its spec.ability that does not require any CP to spend (Nick, Jess eg.)

5. Is the top item card always an open info and even if within the search sequence while spending searchpoins?
(q: "the top card of the Search deck is always wisible"p.24; "..keep the bottom of the Search Deck horizontal to prevent opponents to to be able to see the the card at the bottom of the deck.."p.25; )

many thanks for elaborated hints!
cheerz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
1 and 2. I've never played with the Combined Orders rules yet, so I have no input on these.

3. There has been some disagreement, I believe, whether you can fire an explosive weapon at an empty square (I think this is what you're asking about). The rules would seem not to allow it, only because they don't mention it as a possibility. We always allow this, because why not? There's no reason one couldn't plunk a grenade on an empty square in order to blast two people nearby.

3a. It would seem like smoke would prevent you from targeting a square if you don't have Line of Sight to it.

4. It seems entirely reasonable to activate a character even when they have already spent their entire allotment of C.P.'s for the turn. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do this.

5. Yes, the the top card is always open info. We recently played a game and I re-read the rules about Spy Points and noticed that if you use a Spy Point to look at the top three cards you are supposed to physically take them, and the rules mention that the fourth card down will be exposed "to all players". So that's another area of the rules that supports the top card always being open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On 3: with explosive weapons you always target a square (empty or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
msg tools
thank you both for your inputs!

1&2 that's a crucial part of my OP, hopefully someone would respond later..

3 seems legit, will keep playing it that way

mekane wrote:
4. It seems entirely reasonable to activate a character even when they have already spent their entire allotment of C.P.'s for the turn. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do this.

4.imho by activating exhausted character one can postpone the “pass” that is bounded to the 'end of activation phase' condition.. which can be important in some situations, I can say..
Imno one can't “do nothing” on turn, if not 'passing', so the opponent can eventually react by ending the phase..
I use to agree prior to play with each opponent, whether we are allowed to activate namely Nick and Jess if exhausted to spend MPs.. Reactivating exhausted zombie feels plain weird, doesn't it? ..

5.well, while knowing one side of the item card brings the open info about the other side, why is in the search sequence defined to keep the bottom of each card secret while it is coming from the top of the deck, right? I'd see its importance after the 'shuffle operation' only.. hmm hmm hmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Imno one can't “do nothing” on turn, if not 'passing', so the opponent can eventually react by ending the phase..
I use to agree prior to play with each opponent, whether we are allowed to activate namely Nick and Jess if exhausted to spend MPs.. Reactivating exhausted zombie feels plain weird, doesn't it? ..

That feels weird. This would mean that you can keep playing the same round: since you can always activate a character without assigning an OT, nor a CP...

But I can't seem to find anything in the rules that forbids this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirill Krymskiy
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spokosin wrote:

1.if a character is combined (with another actually 'activated') using OT that was assigned previously within the pause (char. is not 'engaged' afterwards by the definition), is it engaged at the end of activated character activation or not? (for the 'reactivation rule' sake)

2. If a character is combined using any other than 'move' order (that is defined explicitly in this perspective) within opposing character's LOS, does it trigger the duel condition? (and while Activated char. is in no one's LOS)
..kinda rare situations but I couldn't find a solid clue on this in rules..

I'll try to answer..
1. I think the combined character isn't engaged after performing his action because he's not actually activated..how he has recieved OT doesn't matter..maybe I'm wrong but I would be playing this way..
2. According to rules, opposite player can only interrupt combined character when it's moving (2nd and 3rd condition to interruption)..as he's not considered activated he couldn't be interrupted because of the 1st condition..so the answer to your question is: no, this situation doesn't trigger the duel condition..
Hope, this helps..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.