Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's probably too late to change anything but I'm not sure I like this card in the Defiant pack. Not that it isn't an awesome card of course, I just think it's too awesome for 3 points.

As long as a ship has this, if it crits at all, suddenly you can almost automatically blow up the ship regardless of remaining HP.

Anyone else feel like this should be a 4 or 5? Or am I looking a gift horse in the mouth for the Federation, who do not have the attack power of the Klinks or the shenanigans of the Romulans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
I know it's probably too late to change anything but I'm not sure I like this card in the Defiant pack. Not that it isn't an awesome card of course, I just think it's too awesome for 3 points.

As long as a ship has this, if it crits at all, suddenly you can almost automatically blow up the ship regardless of remaining HP.

Anyone else feel like this should be a 4 or 5? Or am I looking a gift horse in the mouth for the Federation, who do not have the attack power of the Klinks or the shenanigans of the Romulans?

Totally agree...commented as such on the Defiant picture:

dc0nklin wrote:
Attack Pattern Omega seems under-priced and/or over-powered.

Why would you not take this as a talent upgrade???

I guess the answer is that it is a bit tricky to get it (ie, has to be a critical against the hull) and in practice, warp core breach doesn't always ensure instant death. We've seen it come up in a few games now and never got triggered.

My guess is that this one probably had a much higher cost initially and play-testing revealed it should be lowered. I'm gonna trust the designers on this one... but at face-value, it does seem awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree that it is under-priced unless you are restricting builds to faction only.

With free reign you get the following combination.

Any Ship with Battlestations Action, Khan (Reliant version) and Ferengi Missile Launchers.

2 Attacks of 2+ each (depending how much you can bump them) against 1 OR 2 ships.

Use Battlestations and Khan's ability to change Battlestations to Criticals.

Any Criticals that hit shields go through and hit the Hull instead (Ferengi Missile Launchers).

Out of the two attacks you have a good chance of getting a Critical on a Hull. and if you manage it on the first attack you can switch targets if you're able to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe because warp core breach is not that good? there was a discussion on this in another thread. and its fully avoidable as well if you're willing to limit your self to 1 maneuvers, but for the most part in 5 instances that the card has shown up it's only blown up once on a ship that was about to die anyway in the next combat round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.