Liberté» Forums » General

Subject: Which Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Niil
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I have the opportunity to get a copy of Liberté but wanted to hear from you, fellow geeks, your opinion about which version should I get or, better said, which version do you recommend and why.

The price is slightly in favor of the first version as I can get it for 10€ less. Anyway, I can go for the most expensive if the difference compensates.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Frank. I have the first version (warfrog 2001) and although it has some flaws, namely the fact that some colors on the cards don't match the colors on the regions, I really am very happy with it. The wooden bits are excellent (discs and faction blocks) and so are both the board and the box.

I didn't ever see the new version live but I don't appreciate the artwork.

In the end, if you buy the old version (10 € less expensive for you) I would say that you could become very well served by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, so the 2001 version has 2 problems: the first is one of the colors don't match up very well (purple board color) but once you know it's ok. The second is that some of the info needed is not printed on the yellow cards (for eg, Terror doesn't mention the need for Red gov't), but again, once you know, it's ok. But the pluses are that the board is much more attractive, the cards are better designed, and the blocks are much more substantial.

I've played on the old version many, many times and I own the new version that we've played on many, many times. So I guess we've become used to it (after spontaneously bitching about it for the first couple of dozen games), but the board in the new version is pretty damn ugly and the cards aren't laid out very well (the general marking is in the middle of the card so it's hard to see it unless you have your cards splayed like crazy), and the blocks are little chinsy things, and, yes, the colors are still a little hard to distinguish (not by me but others have a hard time with the greens--yeah, 2 greens out of all the colors in the world). The upside is that the yellow cards all have all of the relevant info on them so that's a big plus. And oh, they changed the rules in the new version, but you can always choose to play be the old rules which I would strongly, strongly suggest as the 'dagger' rules ruin the game.

My best version is old board, old blocks, and new cards. If I was you, I'd probably just go with the old version to save a few bucks and maybe, if you can stand defacing your cards, to just write in the extra info on a few yellow cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Niil
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmmmm. Guess I'm going for the first version then. I usually don't have problems identifying colors although a few of my gaming friends are color blind but I guess is simply a matter of getting used to it.

And seeing the pictures here, this second version it's not very interesting in graphical terms. Decision made.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Creampie wrote:
Hmmmmm. Guess I'm going for the first version then. I usually don't have problems identifying colors although a few of my gaming friends are color blind but I guess is simply a matter of getting used to it.

And seeing the pictures here, this second version it's not very interesting in graphical terms. Decision made.

Thanks again.

If you're colour blind then it's not just a matter of getting used to. The colours may look identical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Creampie wrote:

Thanks again.

If you're colour blind then it's not just a matter of getting used to. The colours may look identical

Nope. Just ignore the color. You can tell the difference between the cards based on the rivers which are clearly shown, and are very different, on the cards. My colorblind friend is the one who pointed this out to us--the cards were obviously different to him, and he couldn't understand what our problem was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you hate it when the version that "fixes" mistakes brings new ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.