Jim Raynor
msg tools
I understand the differences in the games, but its that time again when I need to throw away some disposable income. Anyone that's played both, would you recommend one over the other? Mainly looking for lots of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yacullo
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LotR currently has many many more scenarios available than PF, but it also requires a lot of deck tuning prep to have a hope of winning. PF is far more pick up and play.

LotR accommodates 4 max, PF supports 6, if that's a factor. Although to support more than 2 players in LotR you may need to buy a second base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Raynor
msg tools
I just play with my wife. I love a good lotr themed game, but the more i look at pathfinder the more interested i get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LotR is best with 2, so it might be a good fit. PACG is OK with 2, but it is best with 3 or 4. If you don't mind dropping $100+ on LotR, you can get a lot of replayability.

A big question is whether you are the kind of player that likes to solve puzzles (LotR), or more of an RPGer that likes to use imagination/creativity to bring a game to life (PACG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Raynor
msg tools
We both are big RPG'ers, we were looking mainly for a good board game (we have enough card games and are kind of sick of them) but with all the reviews im seeing I really cant decide on a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly are you looking for in a board game? What do you like/dislike? Maybe some posters could give insight on some of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tanco
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have both and I've been playing LOTR for about a year. If you're wife isn't into deck building then you'll have more fun with PACG. And if you're really into deck building that you don't mind building both of you're decks I feel that you need to purchase at least a whole cycle worth of cards (6 adventure packs plus it's required expansion) in order for you to feel that you have options. From a purely financial stand point PACG is better. With all that said I'm a big LOTR fan and aesthetically LOTR's card art is gorgeous. I have a friend who I play LOTR with and I am currently playing PACG with my regular gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out claustrophobia. Its a two player game similar to a rpg. Play this game first. Its good but its more of a campaign then a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It depends on what you want from a game like this. The two games are very different.

Do you like deckbuilding? LotR
Do you prefer a difficult game? LotR
Do you prefer an easier game? Pathfinder
Are you looking for a RPG-lite game? Pathfinder
Do you prefer exceptional art? LotR
Do you want a lot of variety right now? LotR

As for me, I had LotR card game and sold it, and am looking to acquire a copy of Pathfinder card game. Though, I do wish the Pathfinder art was as amazing as the LotR card art. Still, an easier RPG-lite is right up my alley, and the deckbuilding just didn't suit me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games. I liked LoTR for a while but playing solo I began to get fed up with it, especially all the deck tuning. Also the lack of character development.

On balance I prefer PF then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
Like other have said:

if(money!=issue && want(deckbuilding)){
LotR
} else {
PACG
}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes,

Do not get me wrong I really (really) enjoy solo and 2 player games of LoTR LCG, but when I first bought the game I was quite angry at FFG as the core set is in my opinion incomplete. $100+ later and the scenario variety and deck building options are great..

I recently purchased mage knight after reading lots of recommendations especially this comparison of all three http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1040214/pacg-vs-lotr-vs-....

for 1-2 players you might want to check it out. Complex and time consuming to play, but the variety and fun are there... both this game and LoTR are heavy optimization type games( what do I do with what I have right now) PACG has optimization but it is by no means required as die rolls (luck) plays an important roll.

I know I will never get my wife to play Mage knight and LoTR due to the complexity/time, however she will happily sit down with me for 30 minutes of PACG. While they are all fun, for serious thinking/challenge I pull out mage knight or LoTR.. if I am looking for a light hearted/headed evening I reach for PACG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaah.. the wife factor. me married too. Well sort of.

Yes, it's hard enough I've found to get my better half to sit at a table and do things with cards, dice, pieces, whatever. But if it's complicated or long. Forget it.

I have tried Arkham Horror (crazy idea of course), Game of Thrones Card game and Board game ("I don't want to lie to people you've invited round" and "Jon Snow wouldn't do that!") and even Puerto Rico ("Is this exploitation of the local population??") but she comfortable with Lightish Fantasy roleplaying without the need for a Dungeon Mistress (hey how PC am I people?) and days of preparation before hand.

We like this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I've played a lot of RPGs, and Pathfinder is RPG-lite, but not in a good way. It keeps the boring parts (continually roll a bunch of dice to hit a target number) without any of the interesting parts (actually RPing with some friends to create a narrative). Sure, you can tell a story based on the cards. But that story is pretty much always going to be the same, and there aren't any unique combination that come up to make you think, "Wow, I never saw that coming!"

LotR doesn't have any RP elements, really, but it's a nice puzzle game with beautiful cards. I'd recommend it over Pathfinder, unless you despise building a deck and changing it between scenarios. If you don't enjoy that aspect, then I wouldn't recommend either game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only mirror what others have already said.

I own both and purchased them primarily to play with my wife. We have a local store here that has an internet presence but the storefront still sells at the internet prices so I can stay in LOTR for about 10 bucks a month (except when the premium expansions come out which is about $22) and I have enough to squeeze that into the budget.

Of the two my wife prefers to play LOTR. There is quite a bit more variety between the different quests than you will find in Pathfinder, but that comes at the cost of doing some deck tweaking along the way. Some people will enjoy that, others will not.

We each play a basic core deck and after a couple of attempts at a scenario (if we are getting trashed) we tweak some of the cards. There are more and more card to flip through these days - but still each Sphere of Influence only has about 80 different cards so it doesn't take THAT long. And if your wife doesn't like that and you do - just tweak them for her.

My wife plays a Tactics/Leadership deck (she likes to be the brute wading in and killing everything in her path) and I play Spirit/Lore which has more of the subtle nuances to it. So as you can see - even within this game you can cater a bit to what your wife prefers.

My wife also really enjoys pathfinder, but after the first play through she thought it would be more fun with the kids so we asked them (I have 5) and two of them were interested. We now play this game as four player and I admit it is more fun with four than it was with two. For the most part each sit down plays the same at it's core (find the bad guy, corner him and kill him). There are a couple of quests that mix things up a bit but not near to the variety that you will find in LOTR.

If she doesn't like losing - Pathfinder :) We have banged our head against some of those LOTR quests 4-6 times before we finally defeat them. But that is part of the fun for my wife and I - others may not find it so.

Now that I think about it - time spent in the cards (ie time spent working with the game OUTSIDE of actually playing it) is about the same for us. Yes we spend time tweaking our decks in LOTR but the setup of a scenario is pretty quick - we can be up and running in 5 minutes. Pathfinder can take quite a bit more time to set up since you have to seed all the locations each time you play a scenario. So all said and done - I think it balances out. One just requires you to use your brain - the other just drawing cards out and shuffling decks.

Another game my wife has REALLY enjoyed as a two player is Robinson Crusoe. Although it is a board game (it DOES have lots of cards though) it comes with several scenarios to play through and has been a fun challenge.

Currently we rotate through these three different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A factor which may be relevant for you: PACG has a variety of good female characters in it, which is a) unusual for this type of game and b) something which can make a big difference in getting into the game. Having a decent choice of characters the same gender as you is something male players take for granted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.