Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time for everyone as Jeff, Garth, Nick and I traversed Texas digging for oil. The jury is still out on this one a bit as we were putting more thought into the mechanics rather than the strategy. There seems to be a few tricky balancing acts to perform:

1. getting enough movements points to keep your loco ahead of your jeep so your oil can get back to base without having to pay through the nose ...

2. whilst having enough to get your jeep to a good drilling site, but only drilling lots of rigs if you're ...

3. getting enough licence cards to be able to win an auction to have the oil you've drilled payoff ...

4. whilst getting the pus-y "move everyone else's trains back", or at least getting far enough ahead so it's not too painful ...

5. and ramming up the price of oil at companies you want to win auctions in.

Great bits, and I love how the game developed with the oil rigs sprouting everywhere, and the height of the crude oil stacks underneath indicating how many barrels of oil are left in the reservoir.

I was on the lucky end in this game getting boomer rigs going, whilst poor old Jeff was the 'number 2 man' with every site he explored. Nick's jeep and loco languished, exploring those sites left behind. Garth competed with Jeff for access and progress. The killer blow however was when I was allowed to gain $39k uncontested at one auction.

Scores: Pat 115.5k, Garth 66k, 2 Man Jeff 54k, Nick 47.5k

An initial rating of 7 after 1 play for 'good game, usually willing to play'. I suspect the game comes down to the 'choose cards' selection and to the auctions. There's sufficient luck on the sites you come across and with the licenses you get to put the occasional spanner in a player's grand strategic plans. How much so needs more exploration (boom tish)! Happy to pick this one up at half price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.