Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every year, a few of us locals get the opportunity to volunteer to help prepare the library. I wanted to share a few pictures from this year's happening in anticipation of the con. (I apologize for the picture quality from my aging phone on some of these - I've tried to edit the pictures so most of the game titles are legible.)

One of the things that needs to happen is that new games need to be barcoded and entered into the library database. Here's a whole wire bookcase of new games for the BGG library:

New games that have limited or no availability at con time get a special blue barcode and can only be checked out for 4 hours. Here's a bookcase of those:

During the sorting this year, my wife noticed that there are now so many different Catan games that they occupy an entire shelf.

Finally, I wanted to share something really cool that Qwyx and Aldie have in store:

Just a pvc stand, right? Well, they're going to have these scattered in the ballroom with specific identifiers on each. Now you can locate tables with these stands and tell your friends where to meet up on the floor. No more, "Hey, I am on the right side... somewhere," with 20 minutes of trying to find each other.

New games are hard to hang around without playing them. (I did get a new game in before the end of the night.) The library was still made ready anyway. Con time is getting close now. I hope you guys are excited as I am!
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alex!

Thanks for helping AND thanks for the pics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pics. That just stokes the excitement that's been building waiting for the Con to get here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I suspect both of those Pathfinder games are going to be checked out for the entire Con. Hopefully I'll manage to get into one of the games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
Thanks for the pics. That just stokes the excitement that's been building waiting for the Con to get here.

That's exactly how I feel about it. Suddenly the next con feels very real.

Also, my admiration and thanks go out again to the BGG staff guys who organize this thing. It's no mean feat to pull this all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Thank you Alex for posting this. I thought about doing a 360 degree panorama... but I missed the window to do it.

Also, thanks to everyone who came out yesterday in the storms and braved the humidity to barcode and shelf the games!

I don't get to see the library that often since it's about 40 minutes from my house, but I am always amazed at its breadth - it's really a walk down memory lane when I browse the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the flagpole idea to help navigate the main room!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I thought about doing a 360 degree panorama... but I missed the window to do it.

A 360 shot would have been cool.

For those who are wondering, our workspace was four or five long folding tables completely enclosed by the entire library arranged in a box with the shelves facing the interior of the box. 32 wire shelving units of main library and another 10-15 or so of new games and games being staged for recoding and data entry. It's an impressive setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Super excited to see those two copies of The Guns of Gettysburg in the middle of the hot games picture! Really looking forward to the con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
So where does that collection come from? Is this one person's collection, or a pool of several folks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The library belongs to boardgamegeek.com rather than to an individual. It exists so that people can experience games they would not otherwise get to play. It also allows the Con to serve as the best place on this continent to play new Essen releases right after they are available. If you've ever supported BGG or gone to a Con, you've helped create and maintain the library. The games came from donations from generous people who wanted the con to succeed, games which were bought by BGG staff with funds from the ticket price to the con, and games which were donated by generous publishers.

The up to date listing of the library collection can be seen at Geekdo's collection (the BGG Library) and is ~4800 games. We can probably expect somewhere between 300-500 games from Essen to be added this year alone, if I recall Aldie's prediction correctly.

The library (and the hot games room) is one of the top reasons to go to BGG.con. Just seeing it is wondrous to me as a tabletop gamer. It often feels like ANY game you would want to play, past or present, is there. The challenge is making a choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alex.

My anticipation level went up a few notches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hsart wrote:
So where does that collection come from? Is this one person's collection, or a pool of several folks?

Alex answered you already, but the library was (to my knowledge) started from Aldie's + Derks' personal collections some years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all kinds of awesome, and the flagpole idea is phenomenal, up there with the teacher/player flags. (So much easier than "Take a left at Egizia, a right at Wicked Witches' Way, and if you run into Nuclear War, you've gone too far.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salamon
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you should go to youtube and check out my videos. Look for Mark Reads Rules.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the flagpoles. I just hope they don't make the walkways even harder to navigate.

I always thought there should be signs along the walls making some sort of grid system for reference. Flags are a cooler way to accomplish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Thank you Alex for posting this. I thought about doing a 360 degree panorama... but I missed the window to do it.

I did a 360 on my phone before we moved the shelves out of the way for the plane to return. About 30 seconds long. Caught various people working. 50 Meg.
Do I upload a video the same way I upload an image?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Can you put it in dropbox for me and I'll put it on youtube?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana Wallace
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drat. Missed this year. Oh well. Maybe next year.

-Diandneo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Craddock
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
I have the heart of a child.
badge
I keep it in a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there! Super honored to have been able to help out! Being in that hangar with the library is always like a drug addict surround by mountains of crack.

Can't wait for the con!

Here's a pic from the day (the lighting in the hangar was weird)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebonecircus wrote:
I was there! Super honored to have been able to help out! Being in that hangar with the library is always like a drug addict surround by mountains of crack.

Can't wait for the con!

Here's a pic from the day (the lighting in the hangar was weird)...

Not a big help but it's a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the mercury vapor lights in the hangar are distinctly blueish and they really mess with picture taking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
Yeah, the mercury vapor lights in the hangar are distinctly blueish and they really mess with picture taking.

On the other hand, they do a good job of disguising the meth fumes from the police drones.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
CaptainQwyx wrote:

On the other hand, they do a good job of disguising the meth fumes from the police drones.
TK

Unavailable for comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.