Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Multiple named ships in each class rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
One change I wish Wizkids would make is to add more than one ship name for each expansion. Take the Constitution class ship. We've got enterprise, but how cool would it be to have the Hood, Intrepid, or Potemkin? It would add another layer of immersion for this game.

Same goes for practically all the other classes/ expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it time. This game is all of 2 months old. I'm sure they wanted to get the most iconic ships out first, and they'll build from there.

There's a lot of lore to build from. In a year or 2, who knows where they'll be in terms of ships, captains, crew, etc.
Remember, 28 seasons, 10 movies.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another D'deridex coming out in one of the OP event prize kits so, yeah. There's also two named Klingon Birds of Prey - one for OP kit and one for December expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
It would be great if each ship came with multiple named ships but this way each expansion can focus on a certain crew and have some real theme.

I don't doubt at all they'll sell another Constitution with another crew. The game is barely a month old! Give it time. Who knows what we'll have in a few years time.

I'm really hoping they do release more than one ship of each class. Imagine the (Excelsior) USS Hood with Desoto and young Riker. There's loads of Exelsior class ships, actually. I wouldn't say no to getting all of them! Beats buying the USS Excelsior over and over to get more of that ship but the same cards!

Then there's the various Galaxy class ships. The Odyssey, Challenger (Captain La Forge!), Yamato and even the Venture although I don't know how they'd handle the crew for that one!

You'd want plenty of the alien ships too - just releasing one of each isn't going to be enough to get all those myriad characters! Particularly true for the Cardassians. There's *loads* of them but only two classes of ship!

The potential for mining the canon in this game has me very excited and I can't wait to see where it is in several years time!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me say that I'm very glad that I'm getting in the game at the start, and won't have to worry about buying up everything later!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to getting the USS Pegasus... A Galaxy-class ship with a cloaking device!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Pegasus was Orboreth class (sp?) I thought?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like more 'named' ships, myself, but (IMHO), having any kind of special ability ONLY on 'named ships' (rather than the entire class) just comes off as silly, IMHO.

I mean, seriously, what about the USS Enterprise-D, specifically, allows it to use the 360-degree phasers that every other Galaxy-class ship has but CAN'T use? Ditto the Defiant-class and their 'ablative armor'...that only USS Defiant, herself, gets to use.

Idiotic. Given they decided the unique talents from X-Wing were related to the pilot, and NOT the ship, they really should have just embraced that going forward.

Maybe some ships do get special abilities (bonus for attacking while cloaked, special armor, special fire arcs, etc)...but those abilities should either apply to the entire class, or not be present at all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
Pegasus was Orboreth class (sp?) I thought?

Was it? I haven't see that one in ages. Thought it was Galaxy class for some reason.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
Pegasus was Orboreth class (sp?) I thought?


OBERTH-class. angry

Bizarre how many people get Federation ship class names wrong, and it's genuinely frustrating, as with few exceptions they are named after AMAZINGLY interesting historical figures.

(The original dozen Constitution-class, particularly, have some REALLY interesting stories to tell in their namesakes! It's not just "Enterprise" that has a name with such history to it - all of the ships do!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I'd like more 'named' ships, myself, but (IMHO), having any kind of special ability ONLY on 'named ships' (rather than the entire class) just comes off as silly, IMHO.

I mean, seriously, what about the USS Enterprise-D, specifically, allows it to use the 360-degree phasers that every other Galaxy-class ship has but CAN'T use? Ditto the Defiant-class and their 'ablative armor'...that only USS Defiant, herself, gets to use.

Idiotic. Given they decided the unique talents from X-Wing were related to the pilot, and NOT the ship, they really should have just embraced that going forward.

Maybe some ships do get special abilities (bonus for attacking while cloaked, special armor, special fire arcs, etc)...but those abilities should either apply to the entire class, or not be present at all.


Yeah, that's my main disappointment in how they statted everything up. While most of the Star Wars ships were fairly generic overall, there are some things about some of the specific classes of ships - the Galaxy class having a rear firing arc and 270 degree firing arc from the Saucer Section (a trait shared with most Federation capital ships of the era), the Defiant class' ablative armor, etc. At the very least, I would like to see some of the ship-specific abilities released as specialty upgrades down the line, or, at the least, a redo of some of the generic ships to add in the abilities associated with that class of ship (particularly the Galaxy class ship - while it has nice stats, it really needs some loving in either the attack arc or maneuver table... Preferably in the attack arc, as that's where the ship's iconic strength lies).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

(The original dozen Constitution-class, particularly, have some REALLY interesting stories to tell in their namesakes! It's not just "Enterprise" that has a name with such history to it - all of the ships do!)


I've always liked it when the ships of a class have a theme to their names. Much like the first six frigates of the US Navy, five of which were named in honor of the nascent U.S. Government (Constitution, President, Constellation, Congress, and United States). The sixth being the Chesapeake, whose name didn't fit the others, was built in defiance of Joshua Humphreys' innovative design philosophy, and was the first to be defeated by the British.

Sorry, useless historical trivia, but almost related, I think.

Closer to the point, I liked how the DS9 writers gave a couple of the Galaxy-class ships names that are semi-synonymous with "Enterprise": Venture, Odyssey, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:
Sorry, useless historical trivia, but almost related, I think.


LOL - Not at all! Either you are quite a history buff*, or have also recently (well, "last few years" recently) also ready the excellent 'Six Frigates' by Ian Toll? Perhaps not, but...

For anyone - with even the VAGUEST idea that 'history is boring' - wow. You OWE it to yourself to read this. It's written in an EXTREMELY 21st-century-friendly 'newspaper narrative'. If you manage to finish it and still, somehow, come away with the idea that 'man, history is boring, and I totally don't get the interest in those early ship names'...

...yeah, I've got nothing. This is as good an effort as I've ever seen to make historical battles and adventures an accessible topic!

* Alright, alright, lowered expectations. At the moment, I'm considering *mere knowledge* that the US Navy *existed at all* before aircraft carriers to be a fairly lofty bar that few manage to cross....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
XanderF wrote:
I'd like more 'named' ships, myself, but (IMHO), having any kind of special ability ONLY on 'named ships' (rather than the entire class) just comes off as silly, IMHO.

I mean, seriously, what about the USS Enterprise-D, specifically, allows it to use the 360-degree phasers that every other Galaxy-class ship has but CAN'T use? Ditto the Defiant-class and their 'ablative armor'...that only USS Defiant, herself, gets to use.

Idiotic. Given they decided the unique talents from X-Wing were related to the pilot, and NOT the ship, they really should have just embraced that going forward.

Maybe some ships do get special abilities (bonus for attacking while cloaked, special armor, special fire arcs, etc)...but those abilities should either apply to the entire class, or not be present at all.


Yeah, that's my main disappointment in how they statted everything up. While most of the Star Wars ships were fairly generic overall, there are some things about some of the specific classes of ships - the Galaxy class having a rear firing arc and 270 degree firing arc from the Saucer Section (a trait shared with most Federation capital ships of the era), the Defiant class' ablative armor, etc. At the very least, I would like to see some of the ship-specific abilities released as specialty upgrades down the line, or, at the least, a redo of some of the generic ships to add in the abilities associated with that class of ship (particularly the Galaxy class ship - while it has nice stats, it really needs some loving in either the attack arc or maneuver table... Preferably in the attack arc, as that's where the ship's iconic strength lies).


My biggest gripe between named and generic ships, is the named ships get a special ability, and increased shields. And all for the low low price of two more points. I can understand one or the other, but not both. It's a major discouragement towards taking multiple ships of the same class to me, and a reason to not buy multiples of the same ship. Which, to my way of thinking, is a way to hurt your own sales for those preferring faction pure list, like myself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I know it probably wont be but I'm hopeful that the named Excelsior class cruiser is the “Crazy Horse”.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason that the difference between a unique and generic ship is so great, compared to its cost, is that the designers specifically want to encourage the use of different ships in a fleet, instead of spamming several copies of one type of ship. You get more bang for your buck by using different types of unique ships than by using more than one copy of a generic ship.

It encourages diversity.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you want a different kind of diversity there's nothing preventing you from playing with a different style of build limit. Try:

Quote:
Unsung Heroes
What about all the people who don't get shows made about them? Some fans would say that's missing the point, but others will relish the thought of playing pure tactics without the implausible plot device driven 'super powers' of the more famous named crew. Limit your build to using only non-unique cards.


If you're playing the OP events and you can talk the Tournament Organizer into it, they can adopt any build restrictions they want, including the above one.

You can find a few more ideas on how to play different kinds of builds on this thread.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.