Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strategic Bumping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know this has worked in X-wing and helps out Tie swarms, so I'd like to know if it works here. If I bump up behind one of my ships one turn and lose an action and then give them the exact same straight maneuver in the next, since they were going the same distance forward, do they not count as colliding in the second turn? In preparation for OP 2 and the 6 inch battle corridor, I'd like to know just how close I can get my ships. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
So I know this has worked in X-wing and helps out Tie swarms, so I'd like to know if it works here. If I bump up behind one of my ships one turn and lose an action and then give them the exact same straight maneuver in the next, since they were going the same distance forward, do they not count as colliding in the second turn? In preparation for OP 2 and the 6 inch battle corridor, I'd like to know just how close I can get my ships. Thanks!

Good question... very important in the OP 2 battle.

I just asked something along the same lines in the FAQ thread:

dc0nklin wrote:
Are the 1 [Straight] maneuver templates supposed to be the length of a ship base front to back?

For example if two ships are facing each other and Ship A moves first and maneuvers into Ship B and must stop by touching Ship B, and then Ship B reveals a 1 [Straight], will Ship B be able to move past Ship A?

Conceptually it seems so, but when i actually hold up the 1 [Straight] template it doesn't seem to get past Ship A.

If it does, are they touching after the move?

Maybe the confusion is the part of the base that "sticks out" past where the templates touch the base?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think the difference is the notch compared to the X-wing bumps. You actually lose that fraction of an inch that causes you to collide when using a "1 Straight"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, uh, *bump.* Regardless of the base shape the ships putatively stop short of an actual collision and so when they move exactly the same the next time they should maintain the same not-actually-colliding-in-a-fireball-of-death distance and thus not have to do new evasion or lose an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
It doesn't answer your question directly, but my answer to this issue was to put the two ships front-to-back, almost touching - then issue them both 'straight 2 orders'.

This allows the one in back to leapfrog the front ship, then the front ship can jump that ship.

This was my solution to how to allow Gowron to remain tucked in right behind Martok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I suppose that works for our jousting lanes this time. It's mostly an issue if I want to bank and then keep a tight formation. It's good for Tie swarms when you want to go at a 45 degree angle and don't want to spread out into a really broad diamond formation. Doing it before getting into combat range can save you your actions without requiring you to know you want to start off at an odd angle. So I could see something like that happening here if an opponent unexpectedly set up far away tries to keep away from you and you need to make a quick shot through the OWPs' area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
Well, uh, *bump.* Regardless of the base shape the ships putatively stop short of an actual collision and so when they move exactly the same the next time they should maintain the same not-actually-colliding-in-a-fireball-of-death distance and thus not have to do new evasion or lose an action.

This. Regardless of what maneuver you are doing with the ships, as long as all the ships are doing the same (speed and direction/angle) then the ships would never 'collide' as long as either, the lead ship moves first or, if the rear ship moves first, it moves far enough to clear the lead ship's entire base. Its mathematically impossible. If they do somehow collide, then its because of human error when placing the ships. Math > Humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.