Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any differences between these models? The retail packaging that I've seen so far - they look exactly the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how the models will look different, but this is the technical stuff:

Aside from possessing a slightly sleeker shape and contour than its D7-class predecessor, the most notable design variations between the two classes included a less bulbous forward section, a larger bridge dome, differently-designed warp nacelles, and more extensive external hull plating.

Of course the Kronos One cloaks and has a rear firing arc, whereas the D7 does not, but that doesn't affect the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am kind of hoping the Kronos One might have the correct Bridge orientation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*edit* Damn, that's a new low for a set of already disappointing minis. soblue

Look at this picture, they just add a couple grey patches, http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1770365/star-trek-attack-wing...
but the solicitation sheet someone posted a while back made it look like it had a much different grey paint job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the actual model itself .... not sure?

Try find pictures of the Tactics versions of the 2 ships that might give you an idea if they are or not.

However, they're not supposed to be, the Gr'oth is a D7 while the Kronos One is a K'T'Inga.

In game terms, the biggest difference will be in the non model items and the way they play.

The Gr'oth has Battlestations and stats 3,1,3,2 with a forward 90 arc.

The Kronos One has Cloak/Sensor Echo and stats 4,1,4,3 with a forward AND a rear 90 arc (the first ship other than a Federation ship to have a rear arc).

Both ships have Evasive Manoeuvers and Target Lock.

The Upgrades are also different for each ship as Kronos One can't have a Tech slot.

The cards that come with it as Captains and crew are pretty nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at the pictures of the respective Tactics ships online, and I can't see one difference between the two, with the exception of the color paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My hope was that it would use the alternate color scheme as was used in the Solicit Sheet http://latinoamerica.devir.cl/archivos/STAW_Wave_1_Quick_Sol...

But it looks like that won't be the case either.....oh well I've got that color of ST:Tactics ship ready for a sculpt switch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is going to be the case with all of the ships that are the same class as existing ones. They aren't going to make a bunch of new sculpts. If the Sao Paulo comes out, it will use the same one as the Defiant. Heck there is an OP LE prize ship that is the same as the Romulan one from the starter. The stats will be different, the upgrades and cards that come with it will be different, and the special abilities will be different. I don't see where it is a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the Tactics version of the Kronos is that grey/green one - and it has the better detailed engines along with the bridge in the right orientation.

So, they may have just used the mock-up of the Gr'oth and relabeled it - while the actual model may be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be happy to have this ship as I wanted 2 D7's but have been trying to stick to single purchases for this game (since I also have a sizable X-Wing collection). It may not be a 2nd D7 but it's close enough and yet offers new options and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's a problem, just somewhat disappointed that in the first round of expansion packs it's the exact same ship as the last round.

I think I'm more ok with the LE prizes being essentially just cards than exclusive ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
this is going to be the case with all of the ships that are the same class as existing ones. They aren't going to make a bunch of new sculpts. If the Sao Paulo comes out, it will use the same one as the Defiant. Heck there is an OP LE prize ship that is the same as the Romulan one from the starter. The stats will be different, the upgrades and cards that come with it will be different, and the special abilities will be different. I don't see where it is a problem.

As was already pointed out, these aren't the same classes of ship. The D7 and K'tinga are the Klingon versions of the Starship Enterprise (TOS) and (effectively) the Enterprise A (the movie refit). They are similar structuraly, but fairly different visually from each other. WK isn't just reusing the same sculpt for the same class here, they are substituting one sculpt for another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Paint job looks different, that seems to be about it.

I think using toenail clippers and some super glue will fix the bridge orientation issue in a about second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:

I think using toenail clippers and some super glue will fix the bridge orientation issue in a about second. ;)

Please let us know how that works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
if you get the one in the package as shown not only is the bridge detail wrong but the sub-light engine housing and the warp nacelle details are also missing. It is one completely f--k up miniature. I'm replacing all of mine with Tactics I versions which aren't messed up. I'm hopeful to find someone on Shapeways that well make some close to scale pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WK makes no distinction between the K'Tinga and D7 even though both of them have many detail differences. Neither of them were treated differently in Fleet Captains, for whatever it's worth.

I don't think the miniature is a complete write-off but it will need work. The bridge housing will have to be removed and replaced, a photorp hole drilled into the command pod, and something done about the shuttle deck. For a D-7, the raised paneling would have to be sanded down because the only D7 that showed the raised structures was the G'roth from Ds9, and even then they are not consistent with the raised detail on the model.

Both models in Geek's shot look the same, just differences in photography. Disappointing from WK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Mondaro
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at mine under a large overhead light and had to strain my eyes to see a difference.

The Kronos' Klingon insignia has a slightly different paint job, and its grey highlights are slightly darker.

I may paint a little black ring on the stem so I can tell them apart. as long as I remember which one I put the marking on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The models are exactly the same. They used the same mold for both. The paint is slightly different in sheen, if not in color, but I'm not even certain that's intentional. Then again, I'm looking at screen shots of both the D7 and the Kronos One, and I can't see any differences on-screen, either. They look like they might as well be the same class of ship, so using the same model for the figure is justified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that the main difference is the painters of the D7 held their mouths slightly to the left, while the painters of the K'Tinga held their mouths slightly to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 4x Khronos One and 1x D7. They are identical. I could throw the D7 model on the peg and now one would know the difference. That's why I'm going to paint all of my Khronos One ships gray like they are supposed to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this a lot as time goes on. The real tell will be if the OP3 prize D'Deridex has blue painted nacelles or green like the promo picture shows. I would not be surprised at all if it has blue. Just more to repaint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.