Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Are there any highly confrontational worker placement games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out The Manhattan Project
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City has duels and robbery, so there can definitely be direct confrontation. Your building placements can also deprive other players of needed income. Age of Empires III is probably about the same level of conflict; it's an area control game so you are constantly jockeying for position in the New World, and you can also have battles. Next, Dominant Species. It is a combined worker placement/area control game like AOE III, but it is probably one of the more interactive cutthroat WP games I've ever played. And let's not forget Caylus, which can be pretty nasty at times.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander De Bruyne
Belgium
Erembodegem
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is what you're looking for: Asgard

Also +1 on Dominant Species and Caylus.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Dominant Species. There is a fairly large amoung of player interaction and conflict for a "worker placement" euro.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond Dominant species Kemet is at least as part of the construction a worker placement game (you can still choose anything afaik so you're not fighting over what to pick.)

Though if one include games which uses worker placement as one of the mechanics you can likely find quite a few games.

Aggression can also be in the part of "I know you want ... but I got it / so since then I picked it" or in actually attacking each other. The former isn't aggressive enough for you? Or doesn't it matter?

Personally I'd say DS is very aggressive. Both in picks but also what's actually happening on the board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanuatu, i've heard, is a hatefully vicious game though it's not quite the same as typical WP, and it is still that sort of "denying" thing.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
How does Caylus get nasty?


You move the Provost backwards so your opponents worker does not activate.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Downfall of Pompeii

Placing workers in the best areas you can, and then killing opposing players workers with lava tiles and throwing them in a volcano! I would say this qualifies nicely. Not the deepest game, but fun with 4 players and a little tonue-in-cheek malice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kreator82 wrote:
The Downfall of Pompeii

Placing workers in the best areas you can, and then killing opposing players workers with lava tiles and throwing them in a volcano! I would say this qualifies nicely. Not the deepest game, but fun with 4 players and a little tonue-in-cheek malice.


I'm not sure that I agree with you 100% on your police work, there, Lou...
Pompeii has you putting figures on spots but I don't think it's really "action selection" as much as... well... "putting figures on spots".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Dominant Species.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster allows you to place higher value knights (perhaps boosted by squires) to bump an opponents previous player's knight.

Brian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep with the Expansion is quite nasty.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep with the Expansion is quite nasty.


...really?

I don't wanna call you out here but... you really think so? LoW and expansion feels quite nice to me. Certainly no meaner than Agricola, unless you're playing with people who spam out the mandatory quest cards for no good reason?

I think LoW is only mean if you're playing with mean-spirited (and bad) players. The player who wastes all their time bopping the leader with intrigue cards almost never wins...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Dominant Species is what you are looking for. There are worker spaces to spawn more units, make attacks, remove food sources to starve opponents, spaces where you claim devastating goal cards. Only one kind of unit per player though, a cube
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
Kreator82 wrote:
The Downfall of Pompeii

Placing workers in the best areas you can, and then killing opposing players workers with lava tiles and throwing them in a volcano! I would say this qualifies nicely. Not the deepest game, but fun with 4 players and a little tonue-in-cheek malice.


I'm not sure that I agree with you 100% on your police work, there, Lou...
Pompeii has you putting figures on spots but I don't think it's really "action selection" as much as... well... "putting figures on spots".


True, but i made the connection mostly because it does have a player interaction element, while i find most worker placement games don't. Since the recommendation was for a game with a possible confrontaional worker placement element, i thought this game filled that role. Yes it isn't a true worker placement game, but it stuck out to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kreator82 wrote:


True, but i made the connection mostly because it does have a player interaction element, while i find most worker placement games don't. Since the recommendation was for a game with a possible worker destruction element, i thought this game filled that role. Yes it isn't a true worker placement game, but it stuck out to me.


Makes sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Septikon: Uranium Wars is a 2-player highly confrontational space war-themed game with a slightly different take on the worker placement mechanic. It just got funded via Kickstarter, but you can still pre-order on a designated website. There's also a print-n-play version in the making. Finally, the game has previously been released in Russia, so you may be able to find a 1st ed copy somewhere.

Edit: swapped word.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanuatu is notorious for being the meanest worker-placement game out there. I hear consistent stories from my GeekBuddies and game-group friends of players wanting to flip the table, or storm out of the house with frustration from mean moments in this game.

The Manhattan Project is my second recommendation because you can attack players, and the way players can combo actions creates surprise moments, which can be good for what you want.

Dominant Species is a good game, but it's long and I find it uninteresting with 2.

Kemet is one of my favorite games, but it is NOT a worker-placement game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
mjacobsca wrote:
Carson City has duels and robbery, so there can definitely be direct confrontation. Your building placements can also deprive other players of needed income. Age of Empires III is probably about the same level of conflict; it's an area control game so you are constantly jockeying for position in the New World, and you can also have battles. Next, Dominant Species. It is a combined worker placement/area control game like AOE III, but it is probably one of the more interactive cutthroat WP games I've ever played. And let's not forget Caylus, which can be pretty nasty at times.


How does Caylus get nasty? I have the game on my iPad, but after going through the tutorial, I don't see what you are talking about. I've more or less neglected the game in favor of Agricola.


The provost movement can get quite nasty. You can directly screw over other players on every turn by moving it back when they are low on money, or prevent them from taking an action they spent 3 deniers to take. It can be quite cutthroat. But still, I think DS is what you are looking for. It truly feels like a battle for survival.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Teixeira
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It also depends on what strikes you as 'confrontational.'

I think people see action denial* as confrontational. Personally I think it isn't because it doesn't involve two (or more) parties in the conflict. The provost in Caylus is confrontational, on the other hand, because everyone has the ability to move it, thus 'fighting over' where it may land. The castle building is also confrontational because players are contributing towards it with majority stakes providing an additional benefit. The increased cost of actions when passing is another potentially confrontational moment.

*You taking an action, thus restricting my ability to take that action (i.e. action/choice denial), doesn't strike me as being confrontational for this reason.

If I were to look at games that have 'highly confrontational' as well as worker placement traits - I'd look for ones where you are directly competing over the same resource in an almost bid-like fashion. Al Rashid, Keyflower and Spyrium are very recent examples of these sorts of games. Dominant Species and Carson City are certainly some of the better older games that achieve this. Lancaster is certainly there, as is Belfort. I also recently played Tribune: Primus Inter Pares which has WP to get cards which helps you 'bid' on control of factions and has quite a few confrontational areas.

Troyes is also a up there in terms of confrontation, both due to the events, but also due to the ability to buy workers from others. Admittedly, it's more of a sneaky, subtle aggression. Ditto for Dungeon Lords and Bora Bora where you can get less than ideal worker placement due to other player's choices and timing.

Intrigue cards and the new corruption mechanic in Lords of Waterdeep are confrontational, but it's still a small part of the larger game (not 'highly' confrontational). The Manhattan Project has a confrontational aspect to it (being able to directly attack others), but, like LoW, it's only a small portion of the larger game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 that Vanuatu is supposed to be the most vicious WP game out there. The game looks interesting, but my group tends to prefer the opposite so I haven't actually played it...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuland

If you get it, play it by the first edition rules
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City was the first to come to mind because you can actually place on a spot where someone else already has a worker and then you have a shootout to see who gets to use the spot.

Spyrium has some direct screwage because the cost to use an action or buy a building is increased by the number of workers interested in that action (next to the card) so players can place workers in the same spot as others' for the sole intention of making other players pay more. This actually DOES matter quite a bit as the game is a tight economy and more than once I missed an optimal card because I was one coin short.

Lastly Ninjato has a mechanic where when you clear a house of valuables you can reassign the point value and color of that house. Meaning if a house were 8 points for the most red influence but I had the least influence for red, I'd want to switch it to one of the other two colors (green or blue) that I am doing better in so that I would get points and my opponents would not.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would people be interested in a "take that" worker placement type game? Or do we play WPs for indirect confrontation?

Eh who am I kidding, theres room for all games here in the geek.

As for your question, yeah those Mandatory Quests are straight up line-in-the-sand moves so LoW really feels that way to me.

Haven't played many of the other ones. Carson City sounds interesting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Haven't played many of the other ones. Carson City sounds interesting.


Carson City is awesome, my favorite WP game. There is a great psychological element to the duels, because you can use actions to collect gun power, which will give you a huge advantage in a fight. Ironically, though, if you have lots of guns you don't actually fight very often because people will be scared to fight you. So the duels become more of a form of bullying and intimidation than actual confrontation, and makes the game very different from games like Agricola. It's really a lot of fun.

The game is very hard to find right now, but I got my copy about three months ago at a FLGS. I didn't hesitate to pay the whopping $60 MSRP. It's worth it.


Edit: Not that hard to find, apparently! There are four copies up on BGG Marketplace.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.