Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Skullport, love it, probably won't play without both modules ever again because I love the additions to the mechanics, making decisions just a teeny bit more complex.

-Putting resources on action spaces as "sweeteners". What a great decision! You can bribe people away from spaces you want to go to next! You can bribe people onto your buildings! You can put stuff on garbage spaces nobody wants, picking it up later as a double benefit! Not horribly thematic, perhaps... but SO GOOD.

-Corruption! You get BULK AMOUNTS of resources, generally far more than you're going to be using on any given quest. So taking the corruption puts heroes in your tavern that you might not be able to use straight away, sort of locking down your decisions, but earning you efficiency and, well, negative points? Which will hopefully be outweighed. What's better, the more the other players take corruption, the better you feel about taking the (relatively) "high road"... but maybe you're wrong and evil really IS better? So thematic! SO GOOD

So here are a few things I'm thinking about popping into a fan-expansion. Hopefully thematic, hopefully also interesting, and hopefully they don't make the game more complex, because the simplicity of the game is what makes it, for me.

Heroes: - So, almost all of these quests, your adventurers die. There are a few where some of them make it back alive (as reward. Thematic!) There are some other ones where your adventurers are converted? Or the old ones are fed to a spider cult and you get some wizards instead? Also, there's a plot quest where you get back one of the cubes you spent. This, to me, symbolized that one of the cubes you sent was HARDY and HEROIC and awesome.

What if there was a better way of getting that same effect? If players could pay money for a SUPERCUBE of a particular color. Maybe a big chunky D&Dple? Say you can go to the "Thematic Arena of Waterdeep" and pay X gold to get 1 HERO FIGHTER. It counts as one fighter for completing quests, but is NEVER SPENT UP. If any player wants to get a Hero Fighter, they'll have to pay more than you... and if there are no more Hero Fighters in the supply, they'll take one from another player's tavern! This feels thematic to me (hiring adventurers, feels slightly of "leveling up") and might be very neat.

Equipment: - Buying equipment is a lovely RPG staple, which SORT OF exists in LOW but only very vaguely. It would be cool to be able to outfit your adventurers in some way, giving you benefits on quests, maybe a higher survival ratio. Again, the straightforward way of modeling this in LoW would be to modify the reward of quests: perhaps more of your invested adventurers make it back? So you could INVEST in your adventurers this round, and potentially be able to bang out more quests with a smaller group of well-equipped adventurers.

My initial thought is something like a new space on the board, the "Thematic Waterdeep Outfitters". Maybe it does something like:
Whenever you complete a quest this round, pay X VP/Gold and return up to 2 of the adventurers spent to your tavern. If you can't pay, you cannot complete the quest.

I wonder if there is perhaps a better way of modelling that? Which would allow other players to steal your equipment, or make sure your characters with the equipment die...

Treachery: Intrique cards are fun. They're weird though, and some of them seem sort of... bad. Luckily, when you play them you also get another action! But it's guaranteed to be a bad one. Hm. I like the interaction, but I feel like it could be amped up a notch.

The "Inevitable Betrayal" card is the most fun version of this in the game, because you know it's there once it's been played. I think that theme could be taken further.

What if there were Intrigue cards that "floated" in front of you. You played it, and it said something like "Until the end of the round, after a player places an agent, you may discard this card to do (small, mean benefit like stealing a cube or two). At the end of the round, if this card is still in front of you, discard it and do (large, "nice" benefit like getting an agent back)." Or what about "Until the end of turn, if a player does X, return this to your hand and do (small benefit). At the end of the round, if this card is still in front of you, discard this card and do (large benefit)." They're not MUCH more complicated but can make decisions be weighted very differently.

Or, perhaps we could make them more shakily diplomatic and potentially treacherous... maybe something like: "Choose another player. Until end of round, whenever either of you gains adventurers, gain one more of the same type you took. The next time either of you (does a thing), discard this card."

BUILDINGS! - There are a few things I'd like buildings to do that they haven't done so far.

Buildings With Multiple Action Spaces + Interaction. The first player to place an agent on this space takes 2 fighters. The second player takes 2 rogues. (or 3 fighters?) -or perhaps- Whenever you put an agent on this space, take all adventurers on this space, then place an adventurer from your tavern on this space.

Buildings With Weird Owner Effects: Owner: As long as there is no agent assigned to this space, Owner gains 2 VP whenever he completes a quest which would give less than 10 VP. -or perhaps- Owner: Fighter/Rogue -or- At the end of the round, if there is no agent assigned to this space, 2 fighters or 2 rogues. -or perhaps- Choose two quest cards. The owner of this building takes one and you take one.

Buildings with Persistent Effects: Not sure exactly how this would work, but I'm thinking they'd basically be like plot quests, which opponents could assign agents to for a small benefit and to temporarily "borrow" the benefit? Whenever owner (or occupying player) completes an Arcana quest, gain 4 VP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see counter-Intrigue cards. Not specifically a cancel card, but say a card that makes another player discard their Intrigue cards. Maybe they are under scrutiny and have to appear to be beyond reproach, so no underhanded tactics.

Intrigue manipulation would be another nice addition, especially since adding SoS (in particular if Open Lord gets played), have seen hands of Intrigue become useless, so something like "discard X Intrigue cards, draw half as many (round up)", perhaps an opportunity to play some of them with the same action as you get with some Intrigue cards in SoS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be cool to have the factions each have unique powers. The Harper's, red sashes, etc. For me, that would add another dynamic that I would enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:

Heroes: - So, almost all of these quests, your adventurers die. There are a few where some of them make it back alive (as reward. Thematic!)

Minor point and likely off topic: I really don't see it as death. Your agents are hiring them and, once the job is complete, the contract is up and they go back to waiting to be hired. Check the quest names on the ones that return adventurers - they often are something that sound like you're getting a return on your investment. Domesticate Owlbears gives you X fighters - I see that as the Owlbears themselves are now trained as a fighter and contracted as payment for their training.

I wouldn't mind seeing a way to actually destroy adventurers (they don't return to the supply) but it would have to be very sparing though may not be very effective with the addition of the caravan pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:

Heroes: - So, almost all of these quests, your adventurers die. There are a few where some of them make it back alive (as reward. Thematic!)

Minor point and likely off topic: I really don't see it as death. Your agents are hiring them and, once the job is complete, the contract is up and they go back to waiting to be hired. Check the quest names on the ones that return adventurers - they often are something that sound like you're getting a return on your investment. Domesticate Owlbears gives you X fighters - I see that as the Owlbears themselves are now trained as a fighter and contracted as payment for their training.

I wouldn't mind seeing a way to actually destroy adventurers (they don't return to the supply) but it would have to be very sparing though may not be very effective with the addition of the caravan pieces.

I don't think it's off topic at all. The quests you're mentioning I definitely agree with. There are definitely a few where there is a theme of "and these were the only survivors" though I can't remember the names off-hand. Still, assuming the adventurers are heroes in a D&D campaign, if the adventuring party doesn't want to work with you again, clearly you've done something wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
Also, there's a plot quest where you get back one of the cubes you spent. This, to me, symbolized that one of the cubes you sent was HARDY and HEROIC and awesome.

Or cowardly and treacherous and self serving.

devil

(Cool thread, btw).

*Edit:

ghbell wrote:
I think it would be cool to have the factions each have unique powers. The Harper's, red sashes, etc. For me, that would add another dynamic that I would enjoy.

This.

I'm surprised we didn't see this in the initial expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.