10 Posts

World in Flames» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Weather in Flames (France first) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Norgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
Global War with most of the optional rules active and 2D10 combat chart with fractional odds.

Germany: Nils
Japan/Italy: Peter(Me)
CW: Markus
USA/China: Martin
Russia/France: Johan

Prelude:
Italy deploys most of its troops on the France border.
CW realises France might be in trouble and deploys as much troops as possible in UK except for an ENG div on Gibraltar.
Russia deploys to be able to makes its claims from the start.
Japan prepares to attack China in the south and reinforce the North with troops from Manchuria.
Germany deploys for France first with the bulk of the troops on the Belgian border and a small screen force against Poland.

1939 Sep/Oct:
Germany declares war on Poland, CW and France responds by sending out huge fleets in the western med and bombing some german ground troops threatinging Belgium. CW quickly transport Wavell to the southern shore in France.

Italy outraged by the France agression against its ally declares war on France, sails its whole fleet in the western med and attacks France along the shoreline. Italy attacks without casualties and is left with all of its units organised except one to press on the attack.
Germany dows Belgium and attacks in full force.
Japan suffering from rain in southern China holds their positions.

CW and France enters Belgium to try and hold the line. Russia claims Eastern Poland and Bessarabia which Germany declines(!) which means Russia is now at war with Rumania(US entry is back to the starting amount of entry chits).

Japan attacks in the south and kills two corps suffering no casualities and still being organised(Rolled two 10's!), the Chinnese fighter was shotdown after it deflected a Japanesse bomber. Rain and miscalculation(Never thought the turn would continue on a 3 and 5) from the Japanesse command turned the rest of the turn into a stalemate in china. Meanwhile in the North, the reinforcement force turns north towards Vladivostock to put pressure on Russia after the Rumanian invasion.

In europe Russia pressed on into Rumania, while a Polish div manages to cut of the german rail lines to the eastern axis minors for a while. Hungary joins Germany to help against the Russian agression. Germany uses an offensive chit and press on towards Paris, leaving CW units in Belgium. Italy presses on in the south killing another France unit in the mountains without any casualties and trapping Wavell in Marseilles.

When the turn finally comes to an end Germany is closing in on Paris while Italy has breaktroughed in the South and Russia is trying to reach the Rumanian oil. While nothing happens at all in Africa.
There are rumors in the Allied camp about an upcoming Russian attack on Japan...

1939 Nov - 1940 Feb:
Denmark is swiftly occupied by German troops, but UK manages to land troops on the northern island and uses it as a base for a very successful strategic bombardment on German factories.

As winter sweeps in on Europe, German troops gets bogged down just outside Paris, while the Italian troops are cut off by a single french partisan unit holding the only railroad back to Italy.

Russia declares war on Japan(Leaving the US Entry pool against Japan empty). This means Russia can put real pressure on Rumania where Zhukov in a daring move manages to take and hold the precious oilfields. Zhukov survives the counterattack and soon there is only german peacekeepers left in Rumania.

Italy builds up troops on Lybia and UK respond with sending in reinforcements from India. Still no war beetween Italy and the CW.

In Asia the Russian cities are fortified and the Japs can only cut off the eastmost Russian resources from being railed home while defending its own convoylines from Russian subs(My misstake not invading and taking the Russian resource on the coast as Japan). The assault on China in the south slows down as Japanesse troops are sent to the Russian front, but China is still losing both ground and troops with minimal Japanesse casualties(A Single ENG div).

As spring aproaches the Axis allies are getting desperate after losing momentum after the huge early success. Germany uses an offensive chit and finally conquers Paris...

Leasons learnt:
Do not deny the claim on Bessarabia if you are in the middle of a France first drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windoze wrote:
Global War with most of the optional rules active and 2D10 combat chart with fractional odds.

1939 Sep/Oct:
1939 Nov/Dec:
To be continued 13/10...

I thought there were no more dows allowed by Germany (or anyone?) in Sep/Oct 1939. Is that not correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Hasforth
Denmark
Copenhagen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only limits on war declarations in the first two impulses. Germany on Poland in the first and CW/Fra on Germany in the second impulse. Thereafter its free-for-all. Well except US and China.

T.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Weather in Flames is the right name for a France first strategy. A couple of high Sep/Oct weather rolls and Germany will be unhappy.

Are you using the RAW2004 rules (available at ADG's website and here on BGG)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:
windoze wrote:

1939 Sep/Oct:
1939 Nov/Dec:
To be continued 13/10...

I thought there were no more dows allowed by Germany (or anyone?) in Sep/Oct 1939. Is that not correct?

Depend on the number of impulse. First impulse DOW are limited and mandatory, but at the 3rd impulse they are free to DOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Afzelius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Italy attacks without casualties and is left with all of its units organised except one when to press on the attack.

and

Japan attacks in the south and kills two corps suffering no casualities and still being organised(Rolled two 10's!)

combined with this

Rain and miscalculation(Never thought the turn would continue on a 3 and 5)

.....Arg ok axis, time to use my dices gulp

All the luck to the Allied you Guys got a hard first turn....
Watch the Italy transporters and the German build, with this start the axis got a lot of options open very soon unless the weather turn bad and turns short.

GREAT AAR :-) keep it comming :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report Peter!

A few ideas you may want to consider -

Make sure that Italy (with whatever rules you are playing and their set-up) can't hit Gibraltar with 2 units if you have only an engineer there. France first can be very dangerous, but losing Gibraltar on a 1/1 result is a catastrophe.

That is, a 'France first' can be successful by having the Allies over-react.

In general, I do NOT recommend moving Wavell out of Egypt on the first impulse. I know that the benefit here is that with Italy not yet in the war, it cannot be intercepted. If Germany is committed to a France first with certainty, then moving Wavell out probably makes sense. Once again though, losing Egypt can be very bad so weigh those decisions carefully!

But if it is clear that Italy and Germany don't have their eyes on Egypt, go for it. (Some players are good at feinting. Even with a France first an Italian player can be in position to take Egypt specifically for this reason).

Anyway, great stuff and have fun!

Regardless, have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Norgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:
Weather in Flames is the right name for a France first strategy. A couple of high Sep/Oct weather rolls and Germany will be unhappy.

Are you using the RAW2004 rules (available at ADG's website and here on BGG)?

I thought it would be a fitting name for the high risk/high reward strategy from the axis. =)

We are using the RAW2004.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Great report, Peter!
I'm really interested in a France first report :)

What puzzles me is the denial of the claim on Bessarabia. What is the reasoning behind it? Do you think you can hold Zhukov back long enough to send reinforcement there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Norgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
New update! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.