Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Golem Arcana» Forums » General

Subject: Want to Pledge, Lost as to what is needed....Thank you for any help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks amazing, beautiful, like it could be a lot of fun to play, and it helps solve an entry barrier I have experienced with other games (mostly tabletop). The problem is I cannot decipher what I am actually getting and/or what I need to get in order to have a complete experience. With games like Warhammer I know to focus on one army and call it a day. Where as with X-Wing Miniatures it was easy enough to rather cheaply develop both Rebels and the Empire in a fashion that I had enough ships for an epic 2 or 4 player game.

When I look at the KS I see that every base pledge gets the same two partial core factions, which seems to be 3 miniatures from both Zikia and Urugal. By scrolling down a little to where it shows the separate codex by faction, it makes it seem like in order to complete these core factions I would need to purchase 4 more miniatures for each faction. But I still have no frame of reference as to how many miniatures are needed per side or why someone would choose to get 4 more Zikia or Urugal miniatures as their extra codex at the $110 pledge level?

So other than the questions above I am curious of a few more things:

1. Is the core set sort of like buying the X-wing miniatures $25 core set (fun, enough for a barebones 2-player game, but overall lacking till you add on more miniatures)?

2. Is there any point in a friend purchasing the same $110 pledge? This is coming from the perspective that we would essentially just have the exact same armies...

3. How many miniatures are needed per side and why would someone choose to get 4 more Zikia or Urugal miniatures as their extra codex at the $110 pledge level?

I want to get in on this game but obviously I am a bit confused as to where to start and what to shoot for when it comes to having a fully functional, diverse, and fun game play experience. Any help in breaking this down would be great and thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Castro
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steve. Here are my thoughts, as a fan who has been following the project closely:

1) The base game is enough for a half size game, and without customization of Golems. Haven't tried X-Wing yet, so I can't compare;

2) It depends a bit on two things: A) do you each intend to play with others as well, or only each other? If the latter, you may wish to share the base game; and B) Will you be picking from the same codex? If so, it may be a bit boring to play against each other, but different knights/ancient ones could make quite a difference.

You could also add a few extra units that don't come with your package, and that would shake things up even more.

Now, if you want different factions, I'd recommend you split the Lancer package (add another base game if need be). That would add a LOT of units, and be great value for your money;

3) 5-8 golems per side for tournaments (the default). You might want more Zikia/Urugal for two reasons: there are factions that take from those codices exclusively; and that would give you more options later, when combining them with Gudanna or Durani.

But if you guys are into different codices, I highly recommend the Lancer package, especially since they introduced Elite Units.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wanted to clarify a couple things here for you

1) Lucas is partially right about the base game having the basics to get started (and being a "half" game in terms of what the creators are considering a "typical" game). You will have some customization though, as the base game will come with a few special golem knights, blood knights, and Ancient Ones for both the included codices. Several X-wing miniatures players who are backing this are saying it looks to be very comparable to your starter kit for X-wings (higher cost, but also higher value for what's included).

2) I agree with Lucas on all points here. Especially on splitting the Lancer, as that's going to also get you the Elite Units, on top of one of everything else. If this is still a bit steep for the two of you combined though, see if you/your friend like different base codices (e.g. you like Zikia, he/she prefers Urugal).

3) There's no problem having multiples of a unit, and if you each get the $110 pledge then you could swap some of your minis so one would have all Zikia and the other would have all Urugal. Then you could either pick bonus codices from the same, giving you more multiples but a strong, single codex, or you could pick a complementary codex for a faction you prefer (so if you took all the Zikia, you could pick Gudanna as your bonus codex to play as Blood of Uruk).

Bottom Line: Base game is enough to get started, number of minis depends on how elaborate you want to get, kickstarter prices are somewhat discounted from what retail is expected to be. Diversity is what you make it; you can play a single codex, you can play 2 codices, for casual games you could play all of 'em. Any questions please ask, because there's plenty of us willing to answer (and we're usually pretty prompt during the week )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel P
msg tools
mb
Hi Steve,

Just adding my 2 cents. One thing that wasn't mentioned is that pledging at $110 (or $100 if you can snipe it when someone pledges higher) level and up also gets you stretch goal rewards. That could be worth several free golems, depending on how much funding happens.

I think it could be a good thing for your friend also gets the $110. As stated before, Lancer ($375) is the best overall value if you can team up and swing it. But if it's out of your budget, 2x $110 is a great value. Yes, some of the figures will be duplicates, but you can pick different codexes and possibly trade -- for instance, you like Zikia and Gudanna (Blood of Uruk faction) and your friend likes Durani and Urugal (Upper Hamazi Empire). Plus, you'll both get the stretch goals and have your own board/rulebook/stylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! A lot of great replies that will have me thinking. To clarify, does the $375 get us 1 of every single mini being offered via this KS or are some still excluded from this tier? also I am not versed on the technology being used and my friend is apprehensive about a chip or something going bad on the miniature and forcing him to buy them again if something goes wrong with it, thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They not chips, but microdots. In theory, they won't 'go bad' unless you scrape them off or cover them up with something (like paint). Think of it like a mini barcode printed on the figure bases.

The stylus is probably going to be battery operated (think of it as the barcode reader) and if beat up too badly may go bad. I suspect you would have to be pretty rough with it though.

Jake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Swinkels
msg tools
fubarbox wrote:
Thanks everyone! A lot of great replies that will have me thinking. To clarify, does the $375 get us 1 of every single mini being offered via this KS or are some still excluded from this tier? also I am not versed on the technology being used and my friend is apprehensive about a chip or something going bad on the miniature and forcing him to buy them again if something goes wrong with it, thoughts?

Hello Steve,

$375
"Lancer" - BASE GAME + ONE of EVERY pre-painted Golem figure in the Optional Items Menu not found in the Base Game (including ALL additional pre-painted Golem figures UNLOCKED via stretch goals). PLUS any BONUS stretch goals.

This is basically as you said, just not including un-painted resin minis.

As Jake pointed out the microdots are printed on the base of the mini, (and the card for each mini) so if you did paint over them there's always the card for immediate fall-back, and we're looking at replacement base/microdot possibilities.

This should prevent any 'broken' miniature scenarios in the sense that a mini would be unplayable, and as Jake also mentioned, one could replace a broken stylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
are some still excluded from this tier?

No sir, that includes all the miniatures. It also should be noted that the $375 tier DOES include BOTH of the Elite Unit sets, which is an added $130 value (2 sets @ $65 each) plus those sets will also bring additional golem knights and blood knights into your army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a summary that breaks out the exact number of figures per tier? I must be slow because the tier picture on KS is still confusing me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zesu_shadaban wrote:
fubarbox wrote:

No sir, that includes all the miniatures. It also should be noted that the $375 tier DOES include BOTH of the Elite Unit sets, which is an added $130 value (2 sets @ $65 each) plus those sets will also bring additional golem knights and blood knights into your army.

Where is this described?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apologies for not replying sooner. Harebrained Schemes has updated some of their graphics today, and a new tier chart has been added late tonight that helps clarify the number of golems included at each level. In the text accompanying each row on the chart, it gives the number of golems included IN ADDITION to the 6 in the base game. For example, for Lancer it has the "One of Each Golem" row which states "One of every pre-painted golem in the Optional Items Menu not already in the base game (+22 Golems).

As for the Elite Units, it was announced in updates #5 and #6 (when each of the Elite Units were revealed) that they would be included in all tiers Lancer and above.

So in summary, if you're looking specifically for a golem count at Lancer tier, the total comes to (6 from base game) + (22 other standard golems) + (8 golems from elite units) = 36 golems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Warren
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewabair wrote:
zesu_shadaban wrote:
fubarbox wrote:

Where is this described?

Here is the post where they announced the elite units :

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/golem-arcana/...

If you scroll down to the section after stretch goals there is a bolded sentence that announces that the Lancer tier and higher will have these units added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.