Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote, I usually just click on "quick quote". But, if I wanted to quote more than one person in the same response, how would I do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:
To quote, I usually just click on "quick quote". But, if I wanted to quote more than one person in the same response, how would I do that?
I'm not aware of an easy way. So quick quote, copy the stuff that was put in the box for you, don't post it, quick quote the second one, and paste into there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
bill437 wrote:
I'm not aware of an easy way. So quick quote, copy the stuff that was put in the box for you, don't post it, quick quote the second one, and paste into there.

Or, just wait for one person to quote someone else, then quote them both and wait for the ensuing ziggurat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
bill437 wrote:

Or, just wait for one person to quote someone else, then quote them both and wait for the ensuing ziggurat.

And this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:

attempt number 2

asutbone wrote:
bill437 wrote:

like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay I got it to work! Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:

I have, of course, QuickQuoted to get the above. Now, since the OP message is different, I can QuickQuote it, select the quote (triple mouse click), copy, cancel that QuickQuote, and paste the quote into this message:
bill437 wrote:

You can do this for as many messages as you wish. Don't keep two windows open at once or try to open the same message while it's already open or the system will get confused.

Alternatively, open the thread in two tabs, using one to copy quotes from and the other for composing your reply.

You may want to get the Lazarus addon, which caches all replies, so if you make a mistake and lose your reply, you can just paste it from Lazarus. It's available for Firefox; I'm unsure of other availability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Tall_Walt wrote:

You may want to get the Lazarus addon, which caches all replies, so if you make a mistake and lose your reply, you can just paste it from Lazarus. It's available for Firefox; I'm unsure of other availability.

OOh, now here's a valuable little nugget. This just might save my mouse from an untimely death. That little 'back' button on the side is simply in the wrong place for my usage. Too many times I've reached for the mouse only to bump that button and lose 15 minutes worth of reply building!!! angry Very nearly launched it a few times across the room to see what kind of relationship it would develop with the wall. I've been wondering if it was possible to disable it somehow. The only thing I've thought of so far is an app called "hammer-and-chisel". As satisfyingly useful as it might be on application, I think it may have long term effects that I may not be so happy about.
Thanks for that.

So what's the difference between quote and quick quote--aside from the way the message is displayed for me to work on? There doesn't seem to be a difference in the final product--or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:
So what's the difference between quote and quick quote--aside from the way the message is displayed for me to work on? There doesn't seem to be a difference in the final product--or am I missing something?

The non-quick versions open up a fresh window, not showing the whole thread page, and they can be middle-clicked to open in a new tab. Also they have polling and quizzes. The quick versions are Javascript, so middle-clicking on them is futile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I'm unsure of other availability.

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
A little technical stuff for quoting might well be in order here.

[ quote = username ] is how you start a quote block manually (without the spaces, of course), and [ /q ] is how you end it.

All you need to know is the name of the person you are quoting, and you can then just copy and paste the contents of the posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Tall_Walt wrote:

The non-quick versions open up a fresh window, not showing the whole thread page, and they can be middle-clicked to open in a new tab. Also they have polling and quizzes. The quick versions are Javascript, so middle-clicking on them is futile.

Ah, yes, I see how that works. Thanks. Why Javascript doesn't do that is a bit of tech detail that is beyond me, but don't feel obliged to spend time educating me about that one.
Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Ah, yes, I see how that works. Thanks. Why Javascript doesn't do that is a bit of tech detail that is beyond me, but don't feel obliged to spend time educating me about that one.
Cheers.

I'm familiar with the tech details, and as far as I'm concerned, it's crappy design (not by this site, but in HTML standards). You ought to at least be warned by cursor shape whether you're on a Javascript "link" or a "real" link; the better solution would be to have a Javascript link open the same window again and pass along the Javascript.

Anyway, now you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.