Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Janet and I sat down to play the new Knizia board game, Blue Moon City.

The theme of the game is that the Blue Moon Wars (of the card game) are over, and now the construction of the destroyed city can begin again. Players move pawns over the 20 building sites (plans of the buildings at the beginning of the game), and pay cards from their hand to construct pieces of the buildings. When all the construction slots of a building are complete (between 1 and 4), the building is finished and rewards handed out. Anybody who took part in a building receives something, with a bonus for the "best" builder. The neat little mechanic in this game is that adjacent completed buildings also contribute a "knock-on" reward for a freshly completed building. This is very clever, as it generates almost a herd mentality of construction, as you want to pick up the adjacency rewards as well as the construction rewards.

The other clever thing about this game is the eight different suits of race cards. Cards can either be used as construction cards, or for their abilities.

However, this is a series replay, not a review, so let the game begin. I was going to annotate this with photos, but they've all be declined by GeekMod as being too similar (go figure!)

Turn 1.
Doug moves to the Fire Temple, summons the blue dragon, and builds a 5 block.
Janet moves to the Palace, summons the red dragon, and builds a 3 block.

Turn 2.
Doug plays a pair of Mimix cards (becomes wild 3) to build a 3 block of the Fire Temple.
Janet moves to the Fire Temple, summons the red dragon, and builds a 4 block.
Fire Temple complete, Doug wins the master builder reward.

Turn 3.
Doug moves to the palace and builds a 4 block.
Janet moves to the palace, summons both the red and blue dragons, and builds a 4 block.

Turn 4.
Doug doesn't move, and builds the 5 block to complete the Palace.
This triggers Dragon scales scoring immediately, which Doug wins (+6 crystals). Doug also wins the Palace master builder.
Janet moves to the Marketplace and makes a crystal offering. Janet leads 1/0 in offerings.

Turn 5.
Doug moves to the Flit Flight Tower and builds the 3 block.
Janet moves to the Earth Temple, summons the green dragon, and builds the 3 block.

Turn 6.
Doug moves to the Marketplace and makes a crystal offering. Offerings tied at 1/1.
Janet moves to the Flight Tower and just draws cards.

Turn 7.
Doug moves to the Flight Tower and completes it. Doug is the master builder.
Janet moves to the Lodgings and builds it.

Turn 8.
Doug moves to the Aqueduct, summons the Blue Dragon, and builds it.
Janet moves to the Marketplace, makes an 8 crystal offering. Janet leads 2/1.

Turn 9.
Doug moves to the Caravan Centre, summons the red dragon, builds 2 blocks.
Janet moves to the Earth Temple and builds 2 blocks.
Crystal scoring won by Doug.

Turn 10.
Doug completes the Caravan Centre.
Janet moves to the Marketplace, makes an 8 crystal offering. Janet leads 3/1.

Turn 11.
Doug moves to the Town Hall, summons the blue dragon, and builds 1 block.
Janet moves tot the Town Hall, builds two blocks, and wins the master builder.

Turn 12.
Doug moves to the Mill, summons the red dragon, and builds two blocks.
Janet moves to the Trading House, summons the red dragon, and builds 1 block

Turn 13.
Doug completes the Mill and wins the master builder.
Janet draws cards.

Turn 14.
Doug moves to the Library and builds two blocks.
Janet moves to the Library, builds the last block. Doug wins the Master Builder.

Turn 15.
Doug moves to the Trading House, completes it and wins the master builder.
Janet moves to the Marketplace and makes an offering of 9 crystals. Janet leads 4/1.

Turn 16.
Doug moves to the Water Temple and builds the 3 block.
Janet moves to the Water Temple, and builds both the 4 and 5 blocks. Janet wins the master builder and gains 10 crystals (including adjacencies!).

Turn 17.
Doug moves to the Marketplace and finally makes an offering...
... one offering of 9 crystals, one of 11 (10 plus a +1 Pillar card) and one of 12 (10 plus a +2 Pillar card).
Offerings now tied at 4/4.
Janet moves to the Marketplace and makes an offering of 11 crystals. Janet leads 5/4.

Turn 18.
Doug makes an offering at the Marketplace. Offerings tied at 5/5. Last offering wins.
Janet moves to the Hot Springs (?) and builds 2 blocks.

Turn 19.
Doug moves to the Hot Springs, summons the blue dragon, and builds one block. Dragon scoring triggers, Doug wins.
Janet draws cards.

Turn 20.
Doug moves to the Lodgings.
Janet moves to the Lodgings. Both players are trying to get the cards to get the last few crystals for the final 12 offering (and the win).

Turn 21.
Doug moves to the Iron Forge (?), summons the red dragon, and builds all 3 blocks to complete it. Gains 4 crystals for this (not enough!).
Janet moves to the Market Hall and builds 2 blocks.

Turn 22.
Doug is desperate... moves to the University, summons the red dragon, and builds the 5 block.
Janet completes the Market Hall and has enough crystals to win the game. If she has a Flit 1 card (move anywhere), she'll win next turn.

Turn 23.
Doug has a huge hand of cards but is missing the vital Hoax (turn other cards wild) and paired Mimix (become wild 3) cards. He can do nothing but sit and draw cards.
Janet is holding a Flit 1 card. She flies back to the Marketplace, makes a 12 crystal offering, and wins 6 offerings to 5.

Summary – a very fun game. Played in about 50 minutes, lots to consider, but doesn't get bogged down. The initial bewildering array of cards and abilities quickly becomes comfortable. This will get a few plays before it gets stale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Wow, this really sounds like a clever game dripping with theme.

The game box was a bit sticky.

MrSkeletor wrote:
Have you ever played the blue moon card game?

Yes, it's quite good.

MrSkeletor wrote:
How does it compare?

Compares well, but there is more longevity in the card game, methinks.

MrSkeletor wrote:
Do the pillar still suck?

I didn't know they did! In the board game the Pillar's power is to allow multiple offerings in the same turn (one per Pillar card). This can be vital, as essentially it's a race game - if you can spend one turn making multiple offerings, obviously that beats spending multiple turns making single offerings.

I'd like to respond further, but your geekbadge worries me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoppe
Germany
Braunschweig / City of Lions
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your Session report. It gave me a very nice and compressed feeling about the game. It seems to be some kind of racing game to me. I'm a enthusiastic Blue Moon (card-game) player and am very intrigued to buy this game. Although I wished, that players could chose one race to play with against the others in the game, and that the special abilities were only available to the player who controls this race. But anyway, I think the theme has been quite well integrated into the board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm sorry your illustrations were turned down. Supplying them with your replay description is a very good idea.

Tim Paterson (Captain Physics)did just this to illustrate his game of Napoleon, and very good it is too.

But how can the pictures avoid being similar???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Do the pillar still suck?

Oddly enough, in your opening hand and for several turns, yes, the Pillar are the least useful cards, with the Flit a close second. But at the end of the game these are the two most useful cards, as either can save you a turn, and it's a race to finish. But that's what the discard rules are for - it's a definite edge a competent gamer has over someone who isn't, don't just discard occasionally, it's a very useful feature, use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
rplea wrote:
I'm sorry your illustrations were turned down. Supplying them with your replay description is a very good idea.

Thanks - I was trying to get an old The General magazine effect - pictures were supposed to liven the terse text up a bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.