Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crystal McLaughlin
Australia
WOLLONGONG
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you missed week 3, that's ok it didn't happen. Because of the Magic The Gathering Pre-Release weekend we didn't get enough players to get a single league game in.

So this put us through the the forth and final week.

Between week 2 and this week I'd actually picked up a copy of Settlers of Catan and had a few 2 player games with my partner. And boy isn't it different with 2 players!

Anyway the league game. We only manged to get a three player game going. Me (orange), blue and red. Beginning placements and board arrangement felt very odd. I end up on a 6 ore and other placement sharing a 6-brick/10-wood/10-brick. This end up being very fruitful. However made me again a target with the only good brick hexes. Other brick hex was I think a 4? Which lead to an early longest road for me.

Now the trading. This was the first time I'd really gone the trade route to try and make some sort of alliance. early in the game I made a trade that was terrible for me but it enabled my opponent (blue) to cut off red at just the right moment leading to neither of them being able to compete for longest road. I later found out that the week 2 league game Red had done exactly the same to blue, so really I was only assisting with a good dose of revenge.

Towards the later game we really struggled to get hold of wheat with all the wheat being on 4, 12, 11 and 11. Which meant a lot of 4 for 1 trading. Which seems so much like a waste.

I manged to get enough resource to pull of two knight development cards, which added to the one I already had showing to get me upto the 10 VP needed. Red ended on three, Blue was really successful in strangling any strategy he had. Blue cam out with about 6.

So this game took my league total to 30 for 3 games. Which is best in the league. Yet I still feeling looking at the games that there is so much a delicate balance of both luck and skill.

Naturally luck is required for the gaining of resources, and the skill comes from the spending of those resources and trading. I think I really need to get some of the expansions to try out. I would imagine some of them would have a reduced luck requirement, and be more skills based.

Anyway, thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.